Customer Service 866.965.0400

Polishing exhaust tips

Darth_Emma

Question

I am pretty sure I know the answer to this, but I did a search and didn't actually find info on this.

I have a Borla exhaust with polished exhaust tips. I was able to keep them pretty clean with all purpose cleaner and a microfiber towel last year. But, my car just got back from the shop and they did some major tuning after adding some horsepower. They left the exhaust tips pretty dirty. The Adam's APC won't bring back that nice silver shine this time.

I'm assuming I should use Adam's metal polish on the tips. Is that right? Should I get the combo kit with both metal polish #1 and #2?

Thanks for any advice.

If you've got the "black grime" on the exhaust tips that doesn't want to come off try this trick: 0000 Steel Wool using WD-40 as a lubricant. It won't scratch as long as it's 0000 Steel Wool.

Nice car bro! Sounds good. I like the spoiler. What kind is it? I use the metal polish on my tips all the time. It works great!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Jon no offense but Terri ain't a Bro. Terri is a girl/woman with a bad a** ride.

Ok, my metal polish arrived today. I got right to work cleaning and polishing the exhaust tips and took the before and after pics you requested, so here they are...

Left before:

5794216432_91ea7d872f_b.jpg

Right before:

5793657437_9d11e04ed3_b.jpg

Left after only cleaning with APC:

5794216738_6829590514_b.jpg

Then I went to work with Adam's metal polish and metal polish 2. (I also used a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to get that little bit of black ring from just inside the exhaust tips.)

Left after:

5793658663_127e55478c_b.jpg

Right after:

5793658383_fd3c563d45_b.jpg

I think I could spend a little more time polishing some of the fine scratches out of the tips, but I'm very pleased with how they came out! :thumbsup:

Thanks to everyone for your advice!

They look great Terri. I like the Mr. Clean Eraser idea. I will try that this weekend. I only have Metal Polish 2, so I will need to use APC and Eraser to get them really clean b4 polishing.

I had never used a magic eraser before, but had heard good things about it. I was very pleased to see that it didn't seem to hurt the finish on the exhaust tips. I was too much of a coward to try the steel wool approach others has suggested.

I had never used a magic eraser before, but had heard good things about it. I was very pleased to see that it didn't seem to hurt the finish on the exhaust tips. I was too much of a coward to try the steel wool approach others has suggested.

Ditto! And I don't have any 0000 steel wool just laying around, but my wife has the Mr Clean Erasers all over the house LOL :D

I was going to take some pictures today after I washed it, but it started to rain. Ugh RAIN! We've had so much rain!

fortplainman: I have all those products except the metal polish. But now that is on order. I'll clean them up really well with APC and then use that metal polish when it gets here. Thanks!

I will get some before and after pics of the exhaust tips when I get the metal polish. Good idea.

Aye, welcome back Terri!

0000 steel wool is an amazing product for polishing things (maybe not paint..LOL)

When my dad finished the first wooden car, it was my job to get the varnished finish as glass like as possible. 10 plus coats of Simoniz wood polish applied with 0000 steel wool later and even cheese cloth slid off the body without any prompting.

The steel wool works as long as you get 0000. The stock tips on my Stealth were shot. They had all sorts of crap stuck to them and they were discolored. I didn't think I was going to be able to make them shine again. I used the steel wool and I used some other metal polish. They came out look almost new.

Before:

Stock%20Tips%20-%20Before%20Polishing.jpg

After:

Stock%20Tips%20-%20After%20Polishing.jpg

So, don't be afraid to try the steel wool.

I bet it would or use a solvent or WD 40 to get that off then use the polish on the cans and they will look great and I bet if you used the Porter cable on them they woould reall shine, the mufflers I mean.

yeah my tips have that black grime from the exhaust on the bottom lips that I cannot get off with anything, i think MP1&2 are my only bet to shine them up. those are my next purchases since i really would not have any other use for them. be sure to post pictures, i watched your vids on youtube and you car looks like a lot of fun!

Wow! That thing sounds awesome. Eventually, I'm going to drop a cam in my car and it will sound close to yours. I love the plate too.

I have a Corsa system on my car and I will polishing the tips tomorrow with MP #1.

that camaro looks sweet! yeah thats what everyone told me, but here is what they said if you didnt have metal polish 1&2:

1anonly said "For your exhaust tips you could use Revive, if you have it. Another thing to do is maybe a DS wipe down then a coat of BG and Americana."

Bluegencoupe said"For the exhaust tips, clean with APC throughly, and use fine machine polish. I found that works really well."

Just placed my order for metal polish and a bunch of other stuff. I am going to try the NEW Brilliant Glaze (I only have a little of the old stuff left), the SUPER VRT (again, I only have a little left of the old stuff), and I'm particularly excited to try the In and Out Spray (my first order of that stuff). I also ordered some of the dark microfiber towels (I'm tired of turning my white towels gray around the exhaust, rocker panels, and wheels) AND I ordered some Buttery Wax (never used that before - I've used Americana plenty).

So, I was able to take full advantage of the MEMORIAL coupon code. :D

Hi Terri

Lets get some details on the HP upgrade :D:D:D

Let's see... I had headers, intake, and a supercharger installed last year.

This year I added a cam, torque converter, and a bunch of suspension parts (coilovers, cradle and differential bushings, etc.). I also had exhaust cutout installed. I am LOUD with those open.

Here is short video of the idle and the the cutouts. I love that cam lope. Check out my new taillights and sidemarker lights too.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2eN4FZXUcz0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Archived