Customer Service 866.965.0400

HOW TO: Engine Bay Detailing

Team Adam's

Question

Actually now that I think about it, there is someone out there that produces a relocation kit for the ignition coils and then you can do something nice with the valve covers once they're exposed.

Similar to this C5 Camaro:

099CoilsandValveCoversInstalled.jpg

i spray the whole engine and everywhere under the hood with spray foam tire dressing. let it set for about 10 min. then hose it off .everything is glossey like you used armor all on it. :burnout:

How long does it take to begin attracting dust?

T-minus 3 seconds.... :lolsmack:

No offense wayne, but thats terrible technique. Not only are those foaming sprays full of silicones and petroleum distillate which can cause belt slip and squeals, they attract a ton of dirt which sticks to the surfaces, and ultimately looks horrible.

That look is what I call the "used car lot" they just slather the engine bay with as much silicone as they can b/c 'shiny' = 'good' in the eyes of many consumers who just don't know any better.

Can use still use the light water spray with the huge engine cover off? Never really cleaned the engine like this before but it looks much easier. Im just worried about getting those coil packs wet, that sounds like a bad idea.

Cover your intake filter and any other areas where water intrusion might be a concern. 

For the mostpart your engine looks like you won't have any areas for concern. I try to caution people who might have added any aftermarket lighting, stereo, or other electronics wired in. A lot of times shops don't do the best job of keeping the wiring harness water tight. 

Cover your intake filter and any other areas where water intrusion might be a concern. 

For the mostpart your engine looks like you won't have any areas for concern. I try to caution people who might have added any aftermarket lighting, stereo, or other electronics wired in. A lot of times shops don't do the best job of keeping the wiring harness water tight. 

oh okay thanks dylan.

Someone should repost this video or redo it...       :bump:

An Adam's employee hinted about Volume 9 coming out this year, I think it's one of their new guys who does video work who confirmed it. 

I'm actually not entirely sure how to tackle this, I can bag the filters and I'm not worried about water penetrating the harness but what is the best way to tackle the silicon joiners and anodized parts? Also having some trouble with the factory aluminium parts like the intake manifold because they are rough and seem to trap dirt. 

post-11895-0-22942000-1418209263_thumb.jpg

Would appreciate any advice offered!

Thanks

Aaron

I'm actually not entirely sure how to tackle this, I can bag the filters and I'm not worried about water penetrating the harness but what is the best way to tackle the silicon joiners and anodized parts? Also having some trouble with the factory aluminium parts like the intake manifold because they are rough and seem to trap dirt. 

attachicon.gifIMG_02411.JPG

Would appreciate any advice offered!

Thanks

Aaron

I wouldn't worry about the anodized parts. Short of spraying oven cleaner on them the anodizing isn't going to come off. The silicone couplers will be fine as well.

As for the cast aluminum intake manifold I would start with using the fender brush and see if that can agitate the dirt off. It doesn't look too bad compared to other cars I have dealt with.

Thanks, I don't want it to get out of control before I do something about it. Wasn't sure if the APC would have an adverse effect. I also noticed the cast aluminium suspension arms getting a bit grotty too so hopefully the fender brush does the trick!

Cheers

Aaron

Thanks, I don't want it to get out of control before I do something about it. Wasn't sure if the APC would have an adverse effect. I also noticed the cast aluminium suspension arms getting a bit grotty too so hopefully the fender brush does the trick!

Cheers

Aaron

I also have a few lug nut brushes and wheel woolies for cleaning engine bay stuff. The lug nut brushes I cut down all but one of them to have shorter bristles. Works really well.

Im not 100% sure but I believe APC might have a staining effect on anodizing if you aren't cautious.  I would probably stick to shampoo/water in a spray bottle and perhaps APC in a small area where grime is tougher.

Just don't let it dry is the big thing to prevent any staining.

I would dilute the apc if using on aluminum and don't use it on hot metal and don't allow to dry

Pretty much this. I find Adam's APC isn't really strong enough to cause staining. But if you are worried about it always err to the side of caution.