Customer Service 866.965.0400

Is it possible to get scratches out of matte vinyl stripes?

ShaneM

Question

my car has a matte black stripe running the full length of the car, as you can see in the sig. My question is this. when the dealer installed the stripes they installer apparently got the edge of the squeegee into the stripes a lot. They have scratches all over them. I poked around the search and found talk specifically about getting scratches out of gloss vinyl using the same stuff you use for paint correction. The question is can you do that on matte vinyl as well?

Second question, my car has flush mount louvers that replaced the quarter windows on the rear. The installer used too much glue and you can see the black that mushed out of the gaps when the louvers were placed into the window openings inside the little rain gutters around the louvers. That drives me crazy, any of you guys know a trick to get that out without having to go back and have the things pulled, cleaned up and reinstalled?

Third question. the louvers are painted polycarbonate plastic and have a few dirty spots. Can i use the porter and the same product you use on paint on the painted polycarbonate? Link to louvers if more info is needed, the company painted them - http://www.silverhorseracing.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16198&category_id=275

also wondering how you guys get rid of scratches near emblems. i have some inside the letters on the GT emblem on the fenders that bother me I'd like to remove. I assume hand is the only way to go there.

Final question for now, what do any of you with polished billet under the hood and inside the car use to keep it clean. That stuff is crazy easy to scratch.

6 answers to this question

I wouldnt think it is possible to get the scratches out without tearing up the vinyl. I think your best bet is to mask it with SVRT.

For the window paint, I would use the Focus Pads on the PC.

I do paint around emblems by taping them off with masking tape. Usually you can fold the tape under the emblem to get that good fit in order to get all the paint you can.

Maybe try Waterless Wash and a CLEAN waffle towel to keep it clean. If it needs to be polished, Adam's Metal Polish is the way to go!!! Here's a link that shows the Metal Polish in use..... http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9281

lol, thought i recognized that dog :)

the scratches ont eh matte stripes don't show well in photos. I'm not looking forward to trying to do the little gaps between the main stripe and the smaller stripes at all. I am fearing the PC will tear the tape and get into the vinyl too. I'd like to see Junk do a vid on how to take care of stripes and how to detail a car with them. Make me feel batter to actually see how some one does it and copy the technique before I get into it. I'm a visual learner for sure :)

As for getting the dealer to replace the stripes...I did...three times. the dealers stripe guy is a frackin moron and the dealer is a good two hours from me. I'd rather have a local guy that striped the spoiler for me redo the whole car than deal with the idiots at the dealer again.

the scratches ont eh matte stripes don't show well in photos. I'm not looking forward to trying to do the little gaps between the main stripe and the smaller stripes at all. I am fearing the PC will tear the tape and get into the vinyl too.

Before polishing that area with the PC, tape off the edges of the stripes to prevent any contact from the pads.

I know that Brilliant Glaze will help make the stripes look better, as it has fillers. Wipe them with a MF to knock down the shine.

Several folks on here have cars with stripes, hopefully one will chime in.

Archived