Customer Service 866.965.0400

Not happy with auto insurance-paid repair. Advice?

Marylander

Hi All -

My VW got rear-ended a few weeks ago and I just went to pick it up after the repairs. I'm not happy with it -- I don't think the color matches well enough -- and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for me on how to deal with getting it redone right.

Details: the bumper got hit, gouged from the other car's license place bolts, and some minor hairline cracking of the paint on the top edge. I pressed them to replace the bumper but the insurance co would only approve repairing and repainting.

Apparently what the shop did – well, I might add -- was sand and repair the damaged area, then blend the paint back across and around the sides. After that the whole bumper was re-cleared. The net effect is that bumper now appears a shade or two lighter than the rest of the car, and from 10 feet away most people (well, anyone on this forum :bow:) could look at it and know it was repainted. Even knowing that painted bumpers often appear slightly different than metal, I feel like it really sticks out. Especially compared to the stock front bumper, which matches the metal just about perfectly.

If this were any other car than an otherwise still-pristine 2010 model I probably wouldn't make an issue of it. But the fact is I'm not satisfied and feel that anyone that's looking at the car -- especially if I were trading it in or selling it -- would see the repair.

So, how can I get my point across to the insurance co that I want it redone, and I'm not taking no for an answer? I refused delivery and I left the car at the shop -- I still have their rental.

Any advice from someone that's been in this situation would be appreciated.

Rich

I think the body shop at dealership will eat the cost of the repaint job.

I really don't think you will have to deal with your insurance company only the dealership. If they don't satisfy you then go to the owner or the GM at the dealership and tell them what a crappy job they did matching the paint. Go above the Body shop manager. :thumbsup:

My husband's painter has been off a few times lately with colors and he claims it is because the brand of paint is different than the original. He has the color code right off the car and it still is a shade off sometimes.

Good luck Rich. :xfingers:

I think the body shop at dealership will eat the cost of the repaint job.

I really don't think you will have to deal with your insurance company only the dealership. If they don't satisfy you then go to the owner or the GM at the dealership and tell them what a crappy job they did matching the paint. Go above the Body shop manager. :thumbsup:

My husband's painter has been off a few times lately with colors and he claims it is because the brand of paint is different than the original. He has the color code right off the car and it still is a shade off sometimes.

Good luck Rich. :xfingers:

Yea' date=' I spoke with the owner of the shop and he showed me the paint match chip/code they used, and it matched the body and [i']front[/i] bumper very well. The painting on the repaired rear bumper just didn't seem to come out exactly the same, and they're giving me the big song and dance about how paint never looks exactly the same on plastic as it does on paint. Which I know is true, but in my eyes it's not close enough.

My specialty!!!!!!

A few questions with possible answers.

1) Was the body shop a part of the insurance carrier's "recommended" shops? I ask this because most major carriers have contracts with body shops in which the repairs are guaranteed for life. Examples could be:

> Progressive: Concierge Service

> GEICO: Auto Repair Express

> Nationwide: Blue Ribbon Shops

> State Farm: Select Service Program

I work for GEICO and we guarantee the repairs for life. I can't vouch for the other carriers but they do guarantee work longer than any body shop.

If you used one of the programs for the carrier the Insurance Co will handle the entire thing - no charge for you. So contact your adjuster and tell them you are not happy and they get it handled.

If you did not and used just the shop of your choice the paint is covered under warranty for about a year or so after the work is done. So if you are not happy with the paint job then the shop should eat the cost AND provide you a rental while they fix it.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me anytime!

Brandi

Rich, my Corvette got re-ended in May of 2009. The damage was very minimal, but the bumper did have to get re-painted. After being at the paint shop for a month and a half (yes, that long) I got I back. I was very unhappy with the paint. There was dirt in the paint, when the light hit it right I seen the primer, and the vents that are in front of the mufflers were never wet sanded. What I had to do is keep hounding the paint shop to fix it. Finally this past November (Yes, over a year later) it was re-painted. So right now my car is sitting in storage and still needs to be wet sanded. That will happen come spring.....hopefully.

So my advice to you is to keep hounding the paint shop and demand it is re-painted to match. These guys should be able to lighten or darken a paint to make it match. Hopefully they have enough sense to take off the bumper too. Otherwise you will have a line in the paint from where the clearcoat meets their tape line.

If they refuse to do it maybe your insurance company can help, but I doubt it. They gave you a check so in their eyes your claim is complete. One other thing you might do is call a TV station. Most of them have a consumer help segment. Maybe the fear of the public knowing what kind of work the shop does well get you better customer service.

Hope this helps

Yea, I spoke with the owner of the shop and he showed me the paint match chip/code they used, and it matched the body and front bumper very well. The painting on the repaired rear bumper just didn't seem to come out exactly the same, and they're giving me the big song and dance about how paint never looks exactly the same on plastic as it does on paint. Which I know is true, but in my eyes it's not close enough.

This is not true. Paint will look the same on metal and plastic if the final prep is performed in the same manner with the same materials. After all, the metals and plastics on your car didn't look any different from each other from the factory. A complete aftermarket paint job would yield similar results, but only if the final prep, basecoat, and clearcoat are performed in the same manner with the same materials.

In a very over-simplified manner of speaking, once you get past the adhesion promoter for plastics, the rest of the process is virtually identical for plastics and metals, with the exception of some flex additive which (and this can be debated) is intended only to allow the technician to install the plastic components without the paint cracking. Over time the flex additive also evaporates and the paint is more or less identical to the other paint on the vehicle.

While the initial prep is treated differently due to adhesion issue with plastic, the final prep is not, the same final primer can be used on both surfaces which will then create a uniform substrate for the basecoat to adhere. Unfortunately there is no way to recreate the factory paint process in a body shop. Even if the you sprayed the exact paint that was used in the factory, the process itself (including the differences in adhesion promoter, sealer, primer, basecoat, clearcoat) will yield a slightly different result.

If you aren't happy, continue pressing the shop that did the repairs and your insurance company to make it right.

Wow, thanks for all the fast replies.

Brandi, the shop is independent -- not affiliated with the insurance carrier. It was my choice to go to this shop as I'd heard good things about them.

Sounds like I need to just stay on them to get the job done right. :xfingers:

:mad:I feel your pain rich. Just was out putting on mudflaps and wheel liners on my truck. And came to realize that my whole left side of my bed was painted. :mad: And it was not noticable because i look at it in the dark but made sure to get a light on it before i bought it. Did not notice stuff until i had my big halogen lights pointed on it when i was doing work on it up in the air at eye level. It is going to look like crap when summer comes around and the sun is out full blast on it. I am going to explode :explode::explode::explode::explode::explode:

Wow, thanks for all the fast replies.

Brandi, the shop is independent -- not affiliated with the insurance carrier. It was my choice to go to this shop as I'd heard good things about them.

Sounds like I need to just stay on them to get the job done right. :xfingers:

Push comes to shove if they aren't working it the way it should be done, contact BBB. :)

Good luck

This is not true. Paint will look the same on metal and plastic if the final prep is performed in the same manner with the same materials. After all, the metals and plastics on your car didn't look any different from each other from the factory. A complete aftermarket paint job would yield similar results, but only if the final prep, basecoat, and clearcoat are performed in the same manner with the same materials.

In a very over-simplified manner of speaking, once you get past the adhesion promoter for plastics, the rest of the process is virtually identical for plastics and metals, with the exception of some flex additive which (and this can be debated) is intended only to allow the technician to install the plastic components without the paint cracking. Over time the flex additive also evaporates and the paint is more or less identical to the other paint on the vehicle.

While the initial prep is treated differently due to adhesion issue with plastic, the final prep is not, the same final primer can be used on both surfaces which will then create a uniform substrate for the basecoat to adhere. Unfortunately there is no way to recreate the factory paint process in a body shop. Even if the you sprayed the exact paint that was used in the factory, the process itself (including the differences in adhesion promoter, sealer, primer, basecoat, clearcoat) will yield a slightly different result.

Jim,

You've hit it pretty much on the head. I've been finding out the hard way that good painters are very hard to find these days. Between shoddy prep, dirt, fish eyes, and half-assed buffing, it's a wonder painters stay employed.

Rich,

As others have said, I don't think it should be that far off, but it's very common for shops to do a blend of the base coat and then clear the entire panel, or in your case, bumper cover. With a metallic, I would think they'd scuff and shoot the entire bumper cover with base and clear for uniformity. Color match may be an entirely different story. I've heard some good things about a collision shop in your area....I wonder if we're talking about the same place?? I just did some work on a Black 07 Porsche Cayman and the owner informed me that the rear bumper cover had been resprayed. I didn't notice while working on it, which is saying something as I can pick apart a respray quite easily.

Stick to your guns...they should do it again!

- Darryl

Rich, I had the same problem when my Impala got hit. That Red Jewel color has so many variables in it. The first time I got it back I found places they missed and didn't buff out right, or were off color from the rest of the car, and they redid it till I was happy. Take it back. If they don't stand behind their work, turn them in to your insurance agency. The insurance companies don't take kindly to paying for inferior work.

Rich, I feel your pain my friend! When I had some interior work done on my Excursion, for some reason they put it on a lift. For another unknown reason, both front doors were opened into the lift, and scratched.

The shop agreed to let me have it fixed anywhere I wanted, and the best place in town did the work. So I thought. On the black vehicle, in the right the different color is plainly visible, and it bummed me out.

Ended up getting a refund, and took the truck to a more high end shop to have it resolved. Had to pay a few hundred bucks out of pocket to make it perfect, but I couldn't deal with the off-tint doors!

Good luck brother, and the squeaky wheel gets the grease.:thumbsup:

Yea, I spoke with the owner of the shop and he showed me the paint match chip/code they used, and it matched the body and front bumper very well. The painting on the repaired rear bumper just didn't seem to come out exactly the same, and they're giving me the big song and dance about how paint never looks exactly the same on plastic as it does on paint. Which I know is true, but in my eyes it's not close enough.

That my friend is a crock! I sell both PPG & Martin Senior paints, the only difference between bumper paint and fender paint is a flex additive! It does not affect the color.

Now we do sell both premium and economy paint. The economy paint says right on it FULL REPSPRAY ONLY Color may not match 100%. Now does the shop mix their own paint in house? What brand?

There is a lot of room for error in mixing, you'd be amazed what a few grams too much or to little of this or that effects the color.

Sorry bud but it all sounds a bit fishy to me! I'd be all over that shop and the INS company

Hi All -

My VW got rear-ended a few weeks ago and I just went to pick it up after the repairs. I'm not happy with it -- I don't think the color matches well enough -- and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for me on how to deal with getting it redone right.

Details: the bumper got hit, gouged from the other car's license place bolts, and some minor hairline cracking of the paint on the top edge. I pressed them to replace the bumper but the insurance co would only approve repairing and repainting.

Apparently what the shop did – well, I might add -- was sand and repair the damaged area, then blend the paint back across and around the sides. After that the whole bumper was re-cleared. The net effect is that bumper now appears a shade or two lighter than the rest of the car, and from 10 feet away most people (well, anyone on this forum :bow:) could look at it and know it was repainted. Even knowing that painted bumpers often appear slightly different than metal, I feel like it really sticks out. Especially compared to the stock front bumper, which matches the metal just about perfectly.

If this were any other car than an otherwise still-pristine 2010 model I probably wouldn't make an issue of it. But the fact is I'm not satisfied and feel that anyone that's looking at the car -- especially if I were trading it in or selling it -- would see the repair.

So, how can I get my point across to the insurance co that I want it redone, and I'm not taking no for an answer? I refused delivery and I left the car at the shop -- I still have their rental.

Any advice from someone that's been in this situation would be appreciated.

Rich

Believe me, I'm probably the closest one in the forum to being a clinically certified perfectionist, but from the pic you posted, I don't really see that much a difference. I recently ordered a new Mustang in the new yellow blaize color. I changed the order to grabber blue non-metallic after I checked out a couple cars on the lot with the yellow blaize. Doors, hood and bumpers were all different colors. And this is on a new factory finished car. Count your blessings, enjoy the car and eventually trade it. I had a car once that was hit in the bumper with no repair and a huge scuff and still got the price I was looking for in the trade. My advice is to not over think this.....just me sayin.:thumbsup:

Believe me, I'm probably the closest one in the forum to being a clinically certified perfectionist, but from the pic you posted, I don't really see that much a difference. I recently ordered a new Mustang in the new yellow blaize color. I changed the order to grabber blue non-metallic after I checked out a couple cars on the lot with the yellow blaize. Doors, hood and bumpers were all different colors. And this is on a new factory finished car. Count your blessings, enjoy the car and eventually trade it. I had a car once that was hit in the bumper with no repair and a huge scuff and still got the price I was looking for in the trade. My advice is to not over think this.....just me sayin.:thumbsup:

I would be going at it until it is fixed correctly. It matched before so it should match again. If the color was off before i would settle for the odd repair but this is not the case. I had the spoiler on my G8 replaced and the paint is a perfect match. It can be done.

I would be going at it until it is fixed correctly. It matched before so it should match again. If the color was off before i would settle for the odd repair but this is not the case. I had the spoiler on my G8 replaced and the paint is a perfect match. It can be done.

Exactly. This is a 2010 car that I plan to keep for 10 years. I don't want to look at it every day and be mad about a repair that should have been done right. Even if 99% of the people in the world wouldn't notice the color being off, I will. I don't want to be unhappy with my car every day for the next 3650 days.

Archived