Customer Service 866.965.0400

Favorite place(s) to eat - and why

mc2hill

Responding to another post got me thinking about food and places to eat. Sooo, what are your favorite places to eat - and why?

I'll start it off. Since I'm in the Mouse House, others may find this helpful! (updated 07/2018)

Attractions area

• Columbia's (in Celebration) - amazing 1905 salad (yes I said salad), plus other Cuban/Spanish dishes - other locations in Florida
  • Emeril's - amazing food, amazing prices both his Orlando eateries have closed
  • Roy's and Bonefish Grill - both have good seafood 

Orlando Proper

• Louie and Maria's - our favorite restaurant of any kind. This an Italian place with amazing food. All fresh ingredents make the sauces outstanding. Not 'pasta' based more like Carrabba's. Unfortunetly they closed this restaurant, but are opening a full service Italian deli called "Stastio's Italian Deli and Market' in the next few weeks.
  • Johnny's Filling Station - voted best burgers in town for several years. A 'hole in the wall' sports bar with great burgers.
  • Four Rivers Barbecue - a newer place with only outdoor seating. The line goes around block, even in the summer! Great ribs, brisket, and sides.  Still good, but now with 6 Orlando area locations, and other Florida & Georgia locations.
  • Bad As's Sandwiches - a gourmet meal on a bun.  Amazing creations, with housemade sauces and prepared meats.  I would eat here everyday if I could!  
  • The Strand - small place, all farm to table with an inventive menu

• Pig Floyd's - barbeque, but with Asian and Latin influenced sides (yucca anyone?)

Edited by mc2hill
updated 07/2018

One of my favorite places to eat is the Roosertail on the Detroit River.

I don't have a favorite thing to eat there because all the things I have tried are great.

Celebrities eat here often so you never know who you might see.

http://roostertail.com/home.asp

Another of my favorite is in Detroit's Mexican Town. Best Mexican Food I have ever eaten.

http://www.mexicantownrestaurant.com/

My favorite local places here are an Italian place named Chirico's. The food is amazing there. Another is a drive-in we still have, two actually, where the curb girl brings the food out to you, kind of like a Sonic, but with a home town feel. My parents used to go on dates to one of them before I was even thought about.

And one place I don't get to eat at much, just a couple of times when I was in Boston is Polcari's. It's a pizzaria that uses brick ovens. The pizza there is simply amazing.

When I am in an area that has one, I make a bee line for the local Fuddrucker's. The best burgers, buns condiments etc anywhere. When I was a brand new Ordinary Seaman 20 years ago, that was my payday gift to myself. :drool:

http://www.fuddruckers.com/

Around here, there is a chain restaurant called Boston Pizza (nothing to do with Boston......) that serves the most amazing Smokey Mountain Spaghetti and Meatballs. If I ate it as often as I wanted to, I would weigh a good 50 pounds more than I do now! :willy:

http://www.bostonpizza.com/en/Default.aspx

There's so many places out here in SoCal (that I haven't tried) that I can't even list them. One great Mexican place is El Farolito in Placentia - their Carnitas are my favorite. To be fair, though, the Mexican food out here is outstanding and readily available. A nice place for seafood is The Beachcomber (on the beach) in Newport Coast, CA (Crystal Cove). Casual atmosphere, good drinks, good seafood, good vibes...

In PA the Sign of The Sorrel Horse outside of Quakertown, at least while it was open. Borghi's in Chalfont has an excellent New York Strip Steak with a Port Wine sauce (with Demi Glace) ... they make their own Veal Demi Glace there. This place would be a Junkman Special, and fresh homemade pesto while you wait...

For great Chinese food, the Imperial in Chinatown in Philly. Their Dim Sum is great.

mc2hill,

The Columbia is one of my favorite places to eat and I have eaten at most of their locations in Florida. The closest to me is in Sarasota on St.Armands circle.

Love the 1905 salad, but it is really hard to pick a favorite!

mc2hill,

The Columbia is one of my favorite places to eat and I have eaten at most of their locations in Florida. The closest to me is in Sarasota on St.Armands circle.

Love the 1905 salad, but it is really hard to pick a favorite!

Buddy,

We eat there every time we stay on Lido or Longboat Key (and afterward walk the 'Circle' to Kilwin's for ice cream!).

Yokoso Japanese resturant in North Charleston, SC. I rate every other Japanese resturant I go to against it. We ate there every time we went to see my daughter and son-in-law when they were attending the Navy Nuclear Power Training Command.

What is the 1905 salad? We have something popular here called the plantation salad.

If you like Garlic, you'd LOVE this... Mmm... Oh and I had NO idea Anchovy paste was in it. You CAN NOT taste it. I hate anchovies.

Source: Plantation Restaurant - Moline, Illinois

1 pint mayonnaise

1 bottle creamy French dressing

1 cup grated Romano cheese

2 garlic cloves, chopped

1/2 tube anchovy paste

Mix in blender and store in refrigerator.

Use dressing on mixed lettuce, radishes and tomatoes.

Just before serving, break in melba toast and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.

Hey Michael, Since I'm pretty sure my PM to you sparked this thread, I feel I can ask this here. Is Columbia a good place to go for a meat and potatoes guy? We are meeting some friends in Orlando and he's not one to venture to far away from what he likes. Me... I'd do Sushi. My wife and I are HUGE Sushi fans.

Chris

Edited by Chewy

Here in Milwaukee we have a lot of great places for food (and beer of course)

One of my favorites is called Coerper's 5 o'clock club. It is one of the best steakhouses in Milwaukee. The prices aren't the cheapest, but the food is great. One the best values is a 16 oz filet for $38.... the 8 oz is $28. It comes with your salad and potatoe too.

If I'm feeling like a burger, I'll get to Fuddruckers or Kopp's. Kopp's has jumbo burgers and frozen custard. For those of you that don't know what frozen custard is....you're missing out. Side note to Chewy - Whitey's has nothing on Kopp's. Everyday Kopp's has two flavors of the day. http://www.kopps.com/

Oh man, today is Carmel Cashew, my favorite. Looks like I'm going there for dinner. However, this is terrible food for me since I'm doing the P90X workouts now. Oh well, I'll sweat it out in 5 minutes.

Do some traveling and get to find some really good places. Probably a good thing they are no where near me or I would be big as a house. LOL.

1) Grille 29, Huntsville Alabama (A must try)

2) Bahama Breezes, Orlando Florida

3) Montgomery Inn, Cincinnatti Ohio

4) Sonny's BBQ, Orlando Florida

5) Tai Erawan, Yorktown Virginia

6) House of Tai, Beavercreek Ohio

If you are ever around Powell Ohio and you have a craving for pizza, go straight to Flying Pizza. My family is from NY and we go there often. We know pizza. The owner is named Sal, and it is rumored he is a coke fiend, but he makes a great pizza when he can get it together enough to come into work. His pizza would be considered "average" to anyone who knows good pizza, but the alternative is Dominoes or Pizza Hut, both of which which Sal's pizza blows away. There is a Flying Pizza in Dayton as well, and it rocks.

Another good pizza place around here is (believe it or not) Whole Foods. They make a decent pizza when Sal is too coked up to come to work. The best part is that they will put on anything you find in the store as a topping.

Speaking of pizza....

Favorite Pizza places are Salvatores of Soho in NY, Mike's Pizza on Queens (NY), Biaggio in Chicago, and in Cherry Hill NJ, People's Pizza is the place to be.

If you are into Indian food and are around Powell Ohio, New India, India Palace, and Tadka are all great places to eat. NEVER GO TO BAYLEAF. My favorite Indian place around here is called "Bollywood". It is named and designed after the Indian version of Hollywood. We have a buddy who works there and is one of the best watiers we have ever had. He has worked at like 6 different local Indian restaurants so we know him well.

If you like Thai food, Thai Orchid is great.

There really are not a whole lot of places around here that are special. Lotsa fast food though.

Checkmate is right about Bahama Breeze. There are several (or were) around Cinci and Columbus. They were all pretty good.

Thanks Ian. I was some what close to Powell Ohio last week and was thinking where I could find some good New York Pizza.:drool: Ended up stopping in Dayton to eat dinner with an ole friend of mine. Use to have a few good NYP places where I live, but new management has ruined the good NYP name. Definately will try next time in I am near that area.

I always enjoy eating with Adam & crew at Boiling Springs Tavern when we are in Carlisle, they have a great menu!:2thumbs:Boiling Springs Tavern, Boiling Springs, PA !

Now how come I'm never invited? :lolsmack: Just kidding.

Ocean City Md is our second home and our favorite place to eat there is inside the Courtyard by Marriott hotel at the Captain's Table Restaurant.

They make a steak there called Scampi Style New York Strip that is literally the best meal I've ever had. Huge edge to edge of the plate NY strip steak at least an inch thick, scampi sauce over it topped with jumbo butterfly shrimp, ceasar salad, outrageous mashed potatoes, and a loaf of freshly baked hard crusted bread with in house made garlic butter.

It's definitely a not miss meal.

Here are a few of my favorites:

My favorite burger joint is Five Guys.

My favorite sub shop is Jimmy Johns.

My favorite steak house is Lone Star.

Mickey, I did some work in the Winston Salem/Greensboro area a couple years ago. When I was in town the first place I would go is Firehouse Subs (We don't have one in Milwaukee). I think it was in High Point off of 68. There were a few other places I really liked in Greensboro, but I can't remember their names.

Dan how was Kopp's tonight? You have me jonesing for some custard and I think I am going to have to get some in the next couple days.

Ray, you do know that Jones is my last name right? It really is. Anyway Kopps was great as always. I had a burger and my wife had a buffalo chicken sandwich. My daughter was denied Kopp's this time. Then I had a double scoop of Caramel Cashew.

Ray, you do know that Jones is my last name right? It really is. Anyway Kopps was great as always. I had a burger and my wife had a buffalo chicken sandwich. My daughter was denied Kopp's this time. Then I had a double scoop of Caramel Cashew.

I had know idea about your last name. :lolsmack:

The Carmel cashew does sound delicious though. I did not want to risk going out tonight as the roads down here in the boonies are pretty rough with today's snow.

chewy .....

Here is a description of the 1905 salad:

Columbia's Original "1905" Salad<SUP>TM</SUP>

The Columbia's legendary salad tossed at your table. Crisp iceberg lettuce with julienne of baked ham, natural Swiss cheese, tomato, olives, grated Romano cheese and our famous garlic dressing (our 100 year old family recipe of fresh garlic, oregano, wine vinegar and Spanish extra virgin olive oil).

pic_1905salad.jpg

http://www.columbiarestaurant.com/

#1) Twin Peaks

#2) Tilted Kilt

Locations: anywhere I can find one!

Kinda like Hooters but the food is great, the atmosphere is great, and the scenery is outstanding!

(Thanks to AJ for turning me on to TK. I found the one in Columbus last week!)