Customer Service 866.965.0400

Favorite place(s) to eat - and why

mc2hill

There's a place by Frankenmuth, MI that has gigantic portions... I can't think of the name. I thought it was Arthur's but I can't find any on it. Any Michiganders know what I'm talking about?

My other favorite place is xochimilco's in Detroit (so-shi-mel-ko's). Best damn mexican food this side of the border.

Cheesesteaks:

Steve's Steaks (Comly & Blvd)

Steves Prince of Steaks - Philly Cheese Steaks

Jim's Steaks (4th & South)

Jim's Steaks Philadelphia

Steak:

Peter Luger's

Peter Luger Steakhouse

Local Pizza:

Pina's II (Doylestown)

Local Italian:

Buena Via

Buona Via Ristorante

Took Adam P. to Buena Via one night. Turned out to be an unusual night, but gotta ask him for details!

My favorite place, which is new to me even though I've lived within 10 miles of it for years is a joint called Rino's Place in East Boston. I had heard about it but then when I saw it on Diners, Drive In's, and Dives I had to go. It did not disappoint!

Rino's Restaurant, East Boston, MA, Homepage

If you are ever in Boston, and looking to Italian, do NOT go to the North End. The North End is there for tourists. While there are a couple of good places most are over priced, rude, and not even that good. Rino's is the real deal. Everything is made from scratch....no messing around...and the staff is a lot of fun.

I love food!

Tia Maria Mexican Restaurant- The wife and I would go here probably 2-3x a week when we first started dating. They even knew us by name. We moved a little too far north to be driving down there so much now.

Ernie's Pizzeria North Denver- The best overall pizza I have ever had. Maybe it's because my family did a lot of growing up in North Denver too...

Pizzeria Da Lupo Boulder- This place has the best individual, wood fired pies, EVER. Adam even has a pizza named after him on the menu...it's good too!

West End Tavern Boulder- Wings and Monk's Cafe beer. Enough said.

Del Frisco Double Eagle Steakhouse- If I am eating a slab of cow, and not grilling it myself, I make the drive down to South Denver for it. It's pricey and worth it.

Borghi's in Chalfont, PA (tip for Eric Thompson) for a nice New York strip steak (with a port wine sauce). They make their own demi-glace for the sauce. Mmm.

Always liked Pudge's Cheese Steaks on 202 in Whitpain shopping center.

Mexican- There are sooo many here in SoCal. For Carnitas (moist and yet crispy) El Farolito in Placentia, CA. Great Cadillac Margaritas, too.

For Pizza, any local place where Italian is spoken behind the counter is great. And you can always get it by the slice!

Edited by Doug123

I think it is an east coast thing. I don't see many broasted chicken places here out west. In fact, I have mentioned it to some folks and then had to explain what it is and how to cook it.

Oh and for the other Detroiters, three words: National Coney Island. Two on one chili only, fries chili only.

Detroit Coney Islands? I like the "Flint Style" better than "Detroit style" coney. The Detroit style coney at National was a carryover from a NYC Coney Island amusement park recipe. It contains ground beef, ground beef heart and ground beef kidneys.....can you say hurl!:help:

The Flint style contains ground beef burger and ground Koegel Vienna hot dogs...much more appealing. Sadly, there are no remaining "good" authentic Flint Coney Dog shops in Flint anymore.

I would like to find just one good NYC style pizza in Michigan. Buddys in Detroit is a thick greasy square deep pan crust with cheese and sauce over top - yuk! Bob's Pizza on W. 7 Mile in the hood, is at least edible.

I'm not a fan of Chicago style either. Gino's East sucks. I want pizza, not a thick greasy mozzerella cheesecake.

New York style blows this pizza away with thin chewy crust and rubbery cheese that slides off when you bite into a slice. It must be folded or carefully held or the cheese ends up in your lap. That is REAL pizza.

For Broasted Chicken or fried, Frankenmuth Bavarian INN is garbage. A little place in Middleton MI serves the best broasted chicken I ever ate.

Ribs? Bobby Rubino's in Florida has THE BEST meaty baby back ribs in the world. He buys them by the boxcar load for his restaurants in FL. My cousin used to be a manager there. I'm drooling.:drool: Actually I have had the best BBQ food including chicken, brisket and ribs, in Florida at little country mom and pop shops that I can not name off hand.

Seafood? Obviously New Hampshire for the best seafood chowder I have ever ate which included chunks of Maine Lobster, clams, scallops and potatos in the most heavenly creamy thick butter infused gravy/broth.

Hungry yet?

Guest Luke Warmwater

Pizzeria Da Lupo Boulder- This place has the best individual, wood fired pies, EVER. Adam even has a pizza named after him on the menu...it's good too!

I have to concur here. Adam took me there awhile back and it is outstanding! I still owe you one brother! I also love the Rio Grande. Best Tex-Mex around. Ask for the Atomica salsa. It is fantastic!

• 1 year later...

A few updates to my original post:

Attractions area

• Columbia's (in Celebration) - amazing 1905 salad (yes I said salad), plus other Cuban/Spanish dishes - other locations in Florida
  • Emeril's - amazing food, amazing prices
  • Roy's and Bonefish Grill - both have good seafood
  • Bar Harbor Seafood - lunch only, served from their retail outlet.  Excellent bisque, fish & chips and lobster rolls.  A little north of the Florida Mall.

Orlando Proper

• Louie and Maria's - our favorite restaurant of any kind. This an Italian place with amazing food. All fresh ingredents make the sauces outstanding. Not 'pasta' based more like Carrabba's.
  • Johnny's Filling Station - voted best burgers in town for several years. A 'hole in the wall' sports bar with great burgers.
  • Four Rivers Barbecue - a newer place with only outdoor seating. The line goes around block, even in the summer! Great ribs, brisket, and sides.  Now with more locations and indoor seating!

Oh man... I have a whole new list since moving to CO -

West End Tavern in Boulder

Liquids & Solids by Oskar Blues in Longmont

Saltgrass Steakhouse in Westminster

The Kitchen Upstairs in Boulder

Santiagos in Old Town Lafayette

Parma in Louisville

Lucky Pie in Louisville

Happy Sumo in Broomfield

Cheeky Monk in Broomfield

Chub Burger by Oskar Blues in Longmont

the list goes on and on...

Five Guys Burgers and Fries...all over the MidAtlantic.  Best burgers around.

Pat's Steaks in Philly...best cheesesteaks in the world.

Philly Pretzel Factory....best soft pretzels anywhere.

(I'm a real health-food nut.)

In Ottawa, and now some of Eastern Ontario
The Works - Imo better than five guys and some weird selections, also classics.  Plus they offer turkey, chicken, and elk burgers (veggie for those who don't do meat).  The buns are fresh and perfectly toasted.  Their milkshake menu is also to die for.  Less than $20 for a burger, some spicy die-cut chips, and a good size shake.  Please remember that food prices in Canada are on average about 25-30% higher than in the states. I'm partial to this place, as i know they source all of their elk meat from a local elk farm about 5 minute drive from my parents house.

Also, a new favourite of mine is Smoque Shack.  Downtown Ottawa century home, converted to restaurant.  Famous Jamaican Jerk (chicken and Pork) delicious saucy ribs, and pulled pork.  Unique take on ordering.  All sides are extra (a few dollars each), and the main meal itself on the cheap.  Serve mostly local brews on tap, no "big name" beer.  Things like that draw me to the place.

In the San Francisco East Bay Area (Oakland/Berkeley/Walnut Creek), the absolute BEST deep-dish pizza is from Zachary's.  I've been to many states and tried many pizza places, and this is just hands-down the best (sorry Chicago).

For Burgers, there is Barney's burgers and The Counter isn't bad either.

Many good Mexican places, but the best was "La Fiesta" in Berkeley, but after 52 years, the owner finally retired...  :(

Great steak places, but Ruth's Chris is my favorite.

You can find good food from just about anywhere in the world.  Great place to live.

• 5 years later...

I keep forgetting to revive this thread, and seeing Chris' @Hookem06 barbeque in the Food Thread reminded me.  

Anyway, below is an updated list for Orlando as some of these places have closed.

Responding to another post got me thinking about food and places to eat. Sooo, what are your favorite places to eat - and why?

I'll start it off. Since I'm in the Mouse House, others may find this helpful!

Attractions area

• Columbia's (in Celebration) - amazing 1905 salad (yes I said salad), plus other Cuban/Spanish dishes - other locations in Florida
  • Emeril's - amazing food, amazing prices both his Orlando eateries have closed

Orlando Proper

• Louie and Maria's - our favorite restaurant of any kind. This an Italian place with amazing food. All fresh ingredents make the sauces outstanding. Not 'pasta' based more like Carrabba's. Unfortunetly they closed this restaurant, but are opening a full service Italian deli called "Stastio's Italian Deli and Market' in the next few weeks.
  • Johnny's Filling Station - voted best burgers in town for several years. A 'hole in the wall' sports bar with great burgers.
  • Four Rivers Barbecue - a newer place with only outdoor seating. The line goes around block, even in the summer! Great ribs, brisket, and sides.  Still good, but now with 6 Orlando area locations, and other Florida & Georgia locations.
  • Bad As's Sandwiches - a gourmet meal on a bun.  Amazing creations, with housemade sauces and prepared meats.  I would eat here everyday if I could!  
  • The Strand - small place, all farm to table with an inventive menu

• Pig Floyd's - barbeque, but with Asian and Latin influenced sides (yucca anyone?)

Since it's been SEVEN years since I replied to this thread..............favorite place to eat..............at home. No kids, no hassle,  just me and the wife, and she's a pretty good cook. When we do go out, we like local places like Rey Azteca (Mexican) and Main Moon (Chinese).  As for chains, Longhorn Steak House or Texas Roadhouse are about the only two I can tolerate. 

7 hours ago, mc2hill said:

I keep forgetting to revive this thread, and seeing Chris' @Hookem06 barbeque in the Food Thread reminded me.  

Anyway, below is an updated list for Orlando as some of these places have closed.

Responding to another post got me thinking about food and places to eat. Sooo, what are your favorite places to eat - and why?

I'll start it off. Since I'm in the Mouse House, others may find this helpful!

Attractions area

• Emeril's - amazing food, amazing prices both his Orlando eateries have closed

Orlando Proper

• Louie and Maria's - our favorite restaurant of any kind. This an Italian place with amazing food. All fresh ingredents make the sauces outstanding. Not 'pasta' based more like Carrabba's. Unfortunetly they closed this restaurant, but are opening a full service Italian deli called "Stastio's Italian Deli and Market' in the next few weeks.
  • Four Rivers Barbecue - a newer place with only outdoor seating. The line goes around block, even in the summer! Great ribs, brisket, and sides.  Still good, but now with 6 Orlando area locations, and other Florida & Georgia locations.
  • Bad As's Sandwiches - a gourmet meal on a bun.  Amazing creations, with housemade sauces and prepared meats.  I would eat here everyday if I could!  
  • The Strand - small place, all farm to table with an inventive menu

• Pig Floyd's - barbeque, but with Asian and Latin influenced sides (yucca anyone?)

I absolutely LOVE 4 Rivers!!!  Anytime I go to Orlando I go there...tends to be the one close to UCF since the military has a presence nearby so that's where I end up.

I'll post some Colorado Springs places on here soon. Thanks for digging this one up, Michael.

I have two places of preference.  My daughters house and my daughters restaurant and I will enjoy them even more when I finish paying for her 6 years of school.  Should I mention her specialty is pastries. She can cook anything: salmon, brisket, beef tenderloin and did I mention salmon and lets not forget the desserts.  Now, I'm getting hungry again and we just finished eating.  My all time favorite place is the Rendezvous in Kodiak AK.  My second favorite is Belgo Centraal London - I never knew there were so many kinds of Schnapps until I went there the first time.

On 1/4/2012 at 7:14 PM, ChargerMatt said:

There's a place by Frankenmuth, MI that has gigantic portions... I can't think of the name. I thought it was Arthur's but I can't find any on it. Any Michiganders know what I'm talking about?

My other favorite place is xochimilco's in Detroit (so-shi-mel-ko's). Best damn mexican food this side of the border.

Well it's been six years but I think you mean Tony's. One pound of bacon with your breakfast :)

It's right off I-75 near birch run. 

Anyone who gets to Michigan and gets as far north as the Big Mac. Stop in St Ignace just north of the bridge off US-2 at Clydes drive in. Order the Big C, a chocolate malt and some home made onion rings. My mouth is watering as I write this. 

You can thank me later :)