Customer Service 866.965.0400

Polishing Stainless Steel

Kingsford

Question

My running boards on my truck are stainless steel and they are getting somewhat scratched up, obviously since people step on them. I thought I'd attempt to try some Metal Polish on them but the residue didnt turn black so I gave up on that....

What else can I try?

UPDATE: See page 3 for my tiny write up and picks

Looks like you definitely got that black transfer you were looking for!

OH YA! Except with FMP and not Metal Polish haha. I was wonder if the Black Residue was from them being dirty or if it was the reaction to being polished.

Dylan, what do you think about using a Green or Yellow Pad?

I would give the green/SSR or yellow pad/SHR a shot, what's it going to hurt? Just make sure you use SHR with the yellow, not the SSR....but you already know that. I'm not sure what SSR and yellow would leave behind.

Alright, I had 15 minutes this morning to do this and it was cold in the garage so I know it can only get better with time...

Heres what I did, I started with some Waterless Wash to clean the dirt and dust off since I just washed it on Sunday. I then followed that with the Orange Pad with SHR. After the SHR I threw on some FMP. I then finished up with some Revive Polish.... pretty much just cause I love Revive and I always follow FMP with Revive. Can't let the machine do everything!

I am pretty happy with the results. Sorry the pictures are from my iPhone and poor lighting. Please ignore the small rust spot on the mount of the running boards, I need to get some undercoating on them this summer.

Heres what I used:

c21d9c3a.jpg

Before:

48a22e2b.jpg

00acb510.jpg

After:

d2e2b69c.jpg

0e3d55d7.jpg

Look 99% better, there are a few really tiny swirls in it now. I was wondering.... Would a Yellow or Green 4" Pad on a PC take care of the rest?

The Orange Pad Cleaned up pretty good but the White Pad is now dedicated to the running board only! Thank god I ordered a 2nd kit last week to get the Green Pad and a 2nd Backing plate!

ce64eaa3.jpg

It's supposed to be really on Saturday, high 50's and sunny, I am going to probably give it a good wash and run to the store and grab some painters tape so I can do a side by side on the passenger side.

Jason, not trying to confuse you here. Just because a magnet did not stick does not mean they are stainless steel bars. There is such a small amount of metal in chrome plated step bars that you would need a pretty strong magnet to get it to stick. I have, Westin Stainless Steel Chrome plated bars on my truck. I tried to stick a magnet to them and it also didn't stick. But, I know for a fact that these are chrome plated and not polished steel.

Either way, I have used metal polish to clean them and FMP/Revive (DA and drill) to remove minor swirls.

That's good news, SS is much more apt to polish out than chrome. Do you have the 4" pads and our Metal Polish Jason? Try the orange pad, then white pad... report back with results!:thumbsup:

Thanks for the quick responses Adam! I will give the 4" Pads a shot tomorrow before I go to work! Would you recommend on the PC or the Drill?

That's good news, SS is much more apt to polish out than chrome. Do you have the 4" pads and our Metal Polish Jason? Try the orange pad, then white pad... report back with results!:thumbsup:

Jason, put a magnet to it. If the magnet sticks, it chrome. SS is not magnetic.

Great tip Dan!!:rockon:

Jason, try the 4" pads and a drill, but be careful. People have buffed to a point of yellowing chrome!

Stainless you can polish for a long time.... the pad should turn black if stainless is the material. They should have cost a bunch-o-$$ if they are stainless too! I'd say 3-4X the cost of chrome ones.

I've always looked at replacing chrome with black on my vehicles, but, that's just me.........;)

Metal polish works on chrome, just don't expect miracles... chrome is EXTREMELY hard to remove scratches from. If you remember Adam had that challenge for people to try the chrome polishing kit from another company... the ended up discoloring the chrome.

Our stuff will put a nice shine on it, remove water spots and some defects, but it won't fully correct. Chrome is simply too hard.

the FMP will make it shine, but wont get the scratches out. Try the metal polish 1 and 2 on the white focus pad. Im just throwing suggestions out there

Metal Polish wasn't working, the oxidation process usually turns the residue black when it works and it just stayed gray. I dont think using a white pad would make a difference.

Archived