Customer Service 866.965.0400

Anyone having problems with pads?

Guest Gone & Forgotten

Guest Gone & Forgotten

My green pad has been used to detail (half) of my wife's '07 Mustang (purchased Saturday evening) today and after half the car, this started happening -

15d1e6a0.jpg

Sorry for the giant pic and my nasty thumb nail, workin' all day and wore my fingers to the bone ;)

I've used my other pads for 4 detail jobs (my vette 3x and my truck 1x) and the Yellow and Orange pads won't stick to the backing plate anymore.

Does that seem normal for them to wear out after 3 small vehicles (convertible, no roof to detail) and a large truck? I've followed the care instructions as written by 'the elders' on this forum, so - don't think that's the problem. Just wondering if I've reached the expiration date on those pads.

Either way, lemme know if the newer pads are doing the similar separation issue as the green one above - I know the new PC pads don't use the firm plastic ring anymore, so... if this is how to handle - hmmm...

:pc:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Call Adams in the morning and im 100% sure they will send you a new one.

As for the pads not sticking anymore, I found that when I used to wash the pads and they got soaked, it would damage the adhesive on the back of the pad. Ever since I destroyed like 3 pads, I bought the pad washer! It was one of my best purchases!

Sorry to see this Bob! Defective products are typically something we handle with our 110% Unconditional Guarantee, and have replaced through our Customer Service team.

Yours will be the first pad failure we have seen with the new pads. (Maybe someone else out there has had this happen? We beat the snot out of the pads at our shop, and have yet to see that sort of separation occur....

Not sure how that happened, but in our 11 years in business, I know one thing for sure: our products are made by people, and people are not perfect!

We have sold nearly 80 cases of the new Orange, White, and Black Pads, and over 30 cases of the new Green pads thus far....(36/case.)

Please email me close-up photos of your backing plate, both sides, and pictures of any other pad failures, and will get you taken care of quick.

Again, sorry this happened, and in the future, please give us the opportunity to honor our guarantee, so we can get you replacement products out quick!

:thumbsup:

Rookie :jester:

We'll get you squared away Bob... no sweat. Like Adam said with anything theres bound to be a bad one here or there once volumes hit a certain level. Nothing is perfect every single time.

In any event we can definitely get you a new one to replace that.

Guest Gone & Forgotten

I DO use the backing plate that came with my Premium ($600) kit back in X-mas of '09, so unsure if I wasn't supposed to use the new style pad with the old backing plate -

I posted here to make sure that I didn't complain about something that was MY FAULT. I AM a NooB, having only detailed (fully) about 12 cars or so ( 4 being my own ) - but have been taught by someone who's been doing this for years as well as spent countless hours reviewing videos using Adam's polishing systems (Adam, AJ, Dylan, etc). Having pulled a pretty swirled car from weak to sheik more than once, I figured I had a decent grasp on how to polish, but was questioning the techniques I've learned for proper pad care.

I'm ordering another set of pads and a few 4"ers and a pad wash bucket - so, maybe I'll see if they can toss another green pad in my order (mention it in comments section when I order). I can send the separated green pad back to you if you'd like. Just let me know.

I still think I just need a flex. I don't have 350 bones for one tho.

• 6 months later...
Guest Gone & Forgotten

I think the 'bump up to speed 6' is doing this to my pads. My green and white pads are showing like you see above. Using the new backing plate as well.

Guest Gone & Forgotten
Wow, those new pads are near indestructible so nice work destructing one!

:lolsmack:

it was destroyed when I got it.

Same thing has happened to 2 more pads tho. Like I said, I think it's the speed of 6 that does it. My PC 7424XP may be going to a speed of 11 or something.

I've noticed my speed dial is buggy, it jumps from 1 to 4 to 11 (seems higher than 6) and isn't very accurate.

Well Bob, You can sleep a little easier tonight know that you're not the only one than ran into this problem. I've only done one car prior with these and this week I was in the middle of doing my car when I noticed my PC harder to control. :willy:

ca1a681d.jpg

76725a07.jpg

e3f28c11.jpg

it was destroyed when I got it.

Same thing has happened to 2 more pads tho. Like I said, I think it's the speed of 6 that does it. My PC 7424XP may be going to a speed of 11 or something.

I've noticed my speed dial is buggy, it jumps from 1 to 4 to 11 (seems higher than 6) and isn't very accurate.

Well then shortly you'll see and experience Adam's supurb customer service in action, that many here often speak of.

Good luck.

Friends, we know exactly what causes this now! The problem is allowing the machine to work in any way, EXCEPT perfectly flat on the finish. Using the machine on an edge, even for a little bit, will cause the orbital action of the machine to cut into, and kill the pad.

Keep those polishers perfectly flat, and this problem will go away!

How do you know if you are perfectly flat? Look at the pad, when you apply pressure to it. The edges should mushroom up around the backing plate perfectly even. If you see one side bulging up, and the other not bulging up, time to get more flat with the PC!

We tried and tried to duplicate the problem here, and were banging our heads against the wall, until a customer came in, and had a set of, "defective pads."

We had him show us how he used the machine, and BINGO!!!! He used the D/A like a rotary buffer, on an edge, and not perfectly flat.

Using an orbital polisher on an edge, as you would a rotary buffer, on an edge and not perfectly flat, causes buffing pad death in about 2-3 panels.

One other thing, if you turn on the machine, and let the pad spin on the machine freely, not touching the car, the Velcro on the pad, as well as the backing plate will self-destruct in about 30 seconds. (The orbital action, combined with the spinning that occurs when the pad is not in contact with the vehicle basically kills the integrity of the felt on the pad, and Velcro on the backing plate.)

In other words, if the machine is left on, and removed from the finish while the user looks for the off switch, say for 3-6 seconds, the Velcro will be 10-20% killed with each time.

Another sign that a pad has had plenty of experience, the white logo on the pad, once worn off, is typically a sign that the pad has done a good deal of correction for 6-8 cars, which is typically the life-expectancy of a polishing pad. That, or the pad was used super hard for a car or two, and aged prematurely!

The things we learn....

:)

Guest Gone & Forgotten

Mine still has the logo on them. I keep mine on the level when possible. When you ride up a ridge in a hood or over the body line of a quarter panel (as Junkman does in his "Buffing the side of your car" series) - it's not level and you're putting pressure to one end or the other even if only for half a second - that shouldn't kill the pad in the way shown in the photos. (note that I'm aware Jman doesn't run his at full throttle - he stays lower than 6 on the PC - he's right, his technique only works when you follow 100% of HIS technique)

What's killing the pad for me is when I ease up to a speed of 6, the pad starts to get a little hard to control and spins off-center like it would if you held the PC in the air and turned it on. The pad flattens out (inertia) and the center of balance on the pad is thrown off due to the high speed of the rotation.

I think I'll go FLEX or bump my speed down a notch and just take a little while longer (like Junkman does) working my product. $50 set of pads each time I correct some paint is gonna kill me.

You guys offer a PC trade-in program? ;)

Guest Gone & Forgotten
Well then shortly you'll see and experience Adam's supurb customer service in action, that many here often speak of.

Good luck.

After a few thousand dollars, 2 years, owning 5 different cars and detailing several others - I've experienced Adam's wonderful customer service. The products aren't the only reason I keep coming back :)

Discovering Adam's and using it on my own vehicles for the first time is a moment I'll NEVER forget. I can't Thank my friend Nic (NinefootNic) enough for showing me the way to perfect paint. When you add up the quality products, endless customer care from the staff, the amazing support system that is this forum and the videos from Adam, Dylan, Ashley and the videos Junkman blesses us with - it's an easy choice to not only buy Adam's products, but stay with them.

I tell EVERYONE I know about Adam's products. I've sent a few customers into the light that is Adam's Polishes and one of them has become a local dealer and owns a professional detailing business. I'm ALWAYS careful to lend my endorsement to anything, but after using Adam's Polishes - I wish I could buy stock in the place. (or had the money to do so).

Guest Gone & Forgotten
Well Bob, You can sleep a little easier tonight know that you're not the only one than ran into this problem. I've only done one car prior with these and this week I was in the middle of doing my car when I noticed my PC harder to control. :willy:

Hey Jon, ever play America's Army? Just wondering. Sorry for the off-topic post.

After a few thousand dollars, 2 years, owning 5 different cars and detailing several others - I've experienced Adam's wonderful customer service. The products aren't the only reason I keep coming back :)

Discovering Adam's and using it on my own vehicles for the first time is a moment I'll NEVER forget. I can't Thank my friend Nic (NinefootNic) enough for showing me the way to perfect paint. When you add up the quality products, endless customer care from the staff, the amazing support system that is this forum and the videos from Adam, Dylan, Ashley and the videos Junkman blesses us with - it's an easy choice to not only buy Adam's products, but stay with them.

I tell EVERYONE I know about Adam's products. I've sent a few customers into the light that is Adam's Polishes and one of them has become a local dealer and owns a professional detailing business. I'm ALWAYS careful to lend my endorsement to anything, but after using Adam's Polishes - I wish I could buy stock in the place. (or had the money to do so).

Thank you very much Bob!!!:bow:

I'll post some pics tomorrow if I have time, but my Orange one is doing the same thing. I only did the hood, roof and trunk. All perfectly flat panels, so IDK. OT, but, My bad night continued with the focus backing plate rotating off, and yep, big ole gash in the spoiler. If it was my RS I have cried. I did notice on the blue backing plate, you have to tighten it down and dig into the plastic to get it tight on the spindle. The plastic hits the metal threads before the metal insert does. I know some people use thread lock, but that does me no good as I switch between the backing plates during use. I could get another PC, and never switch between the backing plates, but that would be dumb.

That's what I did. I got tired of switching. ;)

How about making a video of you doing a buffing pass. I'd like to see your technique.

Ok, I don't mean "dumb" per say, haha. I just don't have the money to pay a divorce lawyer:). I can see where it would be a good idea if you had the volume of cars.

I'll see if my cheap camera has a video.

With the bigger pads I started at five one pass up and down, then across. Then I bumped to 6 until the polish flashed (that was hard to tell because the car is white, and the lights where warm so I moved them back).

On the 4" I did speed 4 and a few times I used it on speed 5.

my white pad is like this as well, but I think ripping the pads off the BP around the edges also helps enchance the problem since it's the softest foam too. I haven't noticed any degredation in performance, so I'm just putting up with it until I get some more practice in anyway.

Guest Gone & Forgotten

All of my GEN 2 pads are velcro-less now, but that's from hard use and washing them improperly (can't buy a pad washer - I detail a car once a month if that and the water would get nasty and I'm too lazy to make fresh soap water every use) - (i have no water in my detail garage, my walk to the water is about 400 feet).

My GEN 3 pads have been used on 2 cars and 1 truck (My Camaro, my former Ram Quad Cab and a 96 Corvette CE) - and still show the Adam's logo on the black backing. They still have plenty meat on the business side, but the separating issue is causing an imbalance problem when they rotate.

I MAY get a little whacky and try something. I am going to get some glue and run a bead inside where it's tearing and see if it holds (after curing time). I'll run the PC on my boss' work van or something.

I'll post back if this helps.

I've only used my pads twice and (I'd like to think) I'm keeping them perfectly flat. I'll video tape myself when I have time to make sure.

I can see how not keeping it flat will cause that problem but I also I think the problem lies also with the way the pad is designed with the raised edge on the back. I think that when I take one pad off to put another one on it's causing it to tear slightly and once you repeat that process a few times you end up with the results that I've got. Because I see no sign of tearing with my Green or Gray Pads which I use ALOT less than the Orange and White Pads. Just my .02.

I think on my next set of pads I'll just do the whole car at once with one pad instead of switching between them on every panel.

Hey Jon, ever play America's Army? Just wondering. Sorry for the off-topic post.

Nope. Never heard of it. Why do you ask?

Archived