Customer Service 866.965.0400

Anyone having problems with pads?

Guest Gone & Forgotten

Wow... certainly seems that the new generation of pads aren't nearly as durable. My previous generation has undergone horrible technique, etc. and haven't had any of these type of problems. (I also don't remember anyone posting about this problem before the change.)

What can I say? I'm a classic coke, rather than a new coke type of guy :lol:

IMHO, Adam will need to address this durability issue in subsequent generations of these pads.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow... certainly seems that the new generation of pads aren't nearly as durable. My previous generation has undergone horrible technique, etc. and haven't had any of these type of problems. (I also don't remember anyone posting about this problem before the change.)

What can I say? I'm a classic coke, rather than a new coke type of guy :lol:

IMHO, Adam will need to address this durability issue in subsequent generations of these pads.

Just a little some from a discussion I had with Dylan:

Also, keep in mind the scale - we well THOUSANDS of these pads. The failure seems exaggerated b/c you only see threads about pad failures. How many times have you seen someone start a thread to say "Hey... just wanted to let everyone know my pads got their 9th use today!"

Guest Gone & Forgotten

Originally Said by Dylan@Adams[/Quote]

viewpost.gif

Also, keep in mind the scale - we well THOUSANDS of these pads. The failure seems exaggerated b/c you only see threads about pad failures. How many times have you seen someone start a thread to say "Hey... just wanted to let everyone know my pads got their 9th use today!"[/Quote]

Right. So I happen to have 3 green pads, none of which were ordered at the same time, that have all experienced this problem. I'm blaming the removal of the black ring that existed on the Gen2 pads. While I like the new pads bp adhesion better, I don't like the fact that no matter the technique or caution used to prevent the separation, my pads keep doing this.

I'll keep buying them. I fear using another pad on Adam's polishing system and I'm damn sure not changing polishes. I just wish a redesign was underway.

For now (start the Hater-ade) - I've decided to use a lightweight water-based glue (like Elmer's) to rub in the separation area with my finger - then allow to dry. It mildly firms up the outer wall of the pad but not below the cushion zone. At least, that's my experience.

I have yet to see a set of Flex pads from Adam's, but I'm assuming this issue is only plaguing the PC pads. My acquisition of a Flex is in the works (by spring) but for now - I'll just burn up the pads I have using the glue solution I was forced to come up with.

... I have yet to see a set of Flex pads from Adam's, but I'm assuming this issue is only plaguing the PC pads.

The Flex pads are deigned the exact same way, minus the Hex Logic design. No problems so far on my end. But then, my PC pads haven't came apart either. I like this design much better than the old design. These pads fit all my polishers.

Guest Gone & Forgotten
The Flex pads are deigned the exact same way, minus the Hex Logic design. No problems so far on my end. But then, my PC pads haven't came apart either. I like this design much better than the old design. These pads fit all my polishers.

I like the design better as well - the adhesion after washing the pads a few times is great compared to the Gen2 pads where the old white hook/loop would be ruined after a few washes and start flying across the room or dropping to the floor while working *thus finding its way to my trash bin*.

Yet, it seems that the black ring helped the Gen2 pads not separate.

My first pad to separate was the Green pad... when it first came out. I used the old Gen2 backing plate and figured that may have caused it. When Dylan got me another pad, I saved it til my Gen3 pad set came in with the new BP - while the pad stuck to the BP better - they still came apart.

I do - in part - attribute the separation issue with the Gen 3's to the higher OPM's suggested. I NEVER turned my PC past 5 with the Gen2's but when I watched the latest vids when Gen 3's came out - I started bumping up to speed 6. That really torques the crap outta the PC and the pads. Even makes the PC MUCH more difficult to manage.

I've stopped doing that and never go above 5 now. My glued pads have held together just fine and the glue doesn't seem to have any affect on the pads negatively. I could see where it could if someone 'over glued' the pad to make the outer wall too stiff or did so in a fashion that took the cushion out of the pad. That's why I'm not going into details about how I glued my pads or what kind of glue I used. I'm not taking blame for someone not using common sense and doing something stupid.

Yesterday when I posted I had only read a couple of the posts in the thread. Then I went out to work on the car some more and in the process paid very specific attention to how I was working with the PC and the reaction of the pads. First thing I noticed was that I needed to keep the PC perfectly flat if operating at a speed of 6 (if at 5 or below I have enough skill at this level to manage to keep the pad from slipping or wobbling) - When I got back to the thread yesterday evening, I read that both these issues are covered in the posts.

So moving forward I feel confident I can keep my pads from breakdown prematurely by making sure I keep the PC flat to the surface and if working on an angle, at a speed lower than 6.

User error?....oooh that one hurts.

Honestly AJ, and this is my personal opinion only, if you have to be that specific how you take the pads off...keep the pads perfectly flat (even the slightest lift while spinning they will begin to rip), then there is a durability issue. I highly doubt that people are being that negligent with the pads, and just ripping them off hap hazardly. With mine the White ones are perfectly fine with no pad degregation (3 vehicles), the orange is horrible after (3 vehicles), and the green is fine (1 vehicle). I know I'm not as finely tuned as you or any of the other guys that have been polishing for a long time, but I'm pretty mechanicly inclined, and while my technique is not perfect, I'm being pretty careful. Unlike that dude that posted on here that he dries his pads by putting his PC on 6 and letting it spin:lolsmack:

I'm not looking to get the pads replaced, but I think it's unfair to call it user error. I think it's good someone posted this, because most people like myself (and most people in today's world) wouldn't come forward unless someone else does it first.

For me, it's because Adam's is such a kick *** company, that we blame ourselves when in actuallity we shouldn't. I've seen countless times on this forum that people have SO much respect for the Adam's product line, that they would rather not take advantage of the guarantee. I would almost feel bad doing so for some reason, even after the $2K I've spent in that last 6 months:thumbsup:

I have the same issue. only the orange pad seems to tear. My white and green pads are fine. I have replaced the pad twice now. My first pad tore within one detail. Super frustrating when this happens since my nearest Adam's distributor is 30 miles away.

i have only used mine a couple times, without problems.

but it seems the black ring in the gen2 pads made sense. why was it removed?

The ring created a different issue. The plate couldn't make positive contact with the backing and kind of rode on the ring. This would lead to the center of the backing getting ripped to shreds and they'd no longer stick to the plate. This lead to a bigger issue, where a pad could potentially go flying from the machine during use.

While I do see there is a pattern that when they fail, they fail in a specific way, but the polling seems to show that the average customer sees pads last as they should:

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/product-polls-feedback-company-input/15083.htm

View Poll Results:

How many uses ON AVERAGE do you get out of your PC pads?

1-3 uses: 4 // 9.09%

3-6 uses: 11 // 25.00%

6-9 uses: 12 // 27.27%

9-12 uses: 11 // 25.00%

more than 12: 6 // 13.64%

Be mindful of how you remove the pads from the plate as well. Grip the backing and the pad firmly, don't pull from the edging... that just leads to rips.

Based on the fact most people seem to get an average amount of use from the pads its a hard thing to figure out. Remember that 'problems' tend to seem bigger b/c people don't start threads saying "Hey, my pads worked as expected". Based on the return/replacement rate for pads and the amount of them that ship out its safe to say that the very large majority of users see the expected number of uses. We just don't hear from them here on the board.

In the end Russell if you're at all displeased with the pads we have the 110% guarantee in place. Shoot us an email or a call and we'll buy your pads back from you +10% of what you paid. We want you to be happy, if not with the products, then with your wallet being made whole again. Whatever will work better for you.

I don't think this is what the problem is. My pads came apart while they were on the machine being used.

Well as you can see, Adam's will reimburse you for your troubles as they always do because their customer service is second to none. I'm curious though. Describe your buffing technique in detail.

I like adams products I would not be hanging around here. I got two uses out of the pads and threw them away so I'm not concerned about getting a refund.

I normally wouldn't have posted, but since someone else had the same "problem" I thought I would share my experience.

Adams is great.

Well as you can see, Adam's will reimburse you for your troubles as they always do because their customer service is second to none. I'm curious though. Describe your buffing technique in detail.

This just pees me off junkman. LC hasn't ever asked me to "describe my buffing technique in detail" and I have some of their pads come apart when they get old, not spontaneous combustion.

That's enough talking about these pads. I'll try using them again in the future when I don't see others having problems.

Right now I have a coat of Americana I need to buff off ;-)

This just pees me off junkman. LC hasn't ever asked me to "describe my buffing technique in detail" and I have some of their pads come apart when they get old, not spontaneous combustion.

That's enough talking about these pads. I'll try using them again in the future when I don't see others having problems.

Right now I have a coat of Americana I need to buff off ;-)

Lake Country has never offered you a refund plus 10% either, now have they?

Sorry to pee you off but I was trying to understand from people experiencing this issue if there was a common denominator as to why this may be happening. That way, a solution could be derived for those who may also experience this in the future. But hey, I can tell when my assistance in no longer needed so I'll just tally along. Good day, sir. ;)

The ring created a different issue. The plate couldn't make positive contact with the backing and kind of rode on the ring. This would lead to the center of the backing getting ripped to shreds and they'd no longer stick to the plate. This lead to a bigger issue, where a pad could potentially go flying from the machine during use.

While I do see there is a pattern that when they fail, they fail in a specific way, but the polling seems to show that the average customer sees pads last as they should:

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/product-polls-feedback-company-input/15083.htm

View Poll Results:

How many uses ON AVERAGE do you get out of your PC pads?

1-3 uses: 4 // 9.09%

3-6 uses: 11 // 25.00%

6-9 uses: 12 // 27.27%

9-12 uses: 11 // 25.00%

more than 12: 6 // 13.64%

Be mindful of how you remove the pads from the plate as well. Grip the backing and the pad firmly, don't pull from the edging... that just leads to rips.

Dylan I've not had a problem with the pads. But they have only been used twice, white and gray. I can have a Rather thick head at times, can you please explain in more detail the correct way to remove pads from the plate.

Dylan I've not had a problem with the pads. But they have only been used twice, white and gray. I can have a Rather thick head at times, can you please explain in more detail the correct way to remove pads from the plate.

All you have to do is work your fingers in between the pad and the back plate until a significant amount of the pad has been removed. Then, pull the pad off the back plate by lifting from the center of the pad and NOT the edges. That simple.

Sure... basically you just don't want to pull on the pad from the edge, which I've seen a fair amount of people do.

1) Start by creating a small separation between the pad and the plate.

Simply pinch or push in on the edge to create a gap and work your thumb between the backing and the backing plate.

cd4dab90.jpg

2) Slip your thumb between the plate and the pad, pinching the entire pad between your thumb and index finger.

Grip firmly and remove the rest of the way.

19bb308e.jpg

NEVER GRIP OR PULL THE PAD FROM THE FOAM EDGE

f67e24c5.jpg

Archived