Customer Service 866.965.0400

What did you do today?

3PedalMINI

On 5/24/2018 at 3:47 PM, dirtymarcus said:

Finally finished up the master bath remodel and got to wash the vehicles today.  Been about 8 weeks since Ive washed the truck and man was it satisfying to see it shine again.

Post up some pictures of your bathroom.  I'm doing the same thing right now.  Anything you wish you would have done that you didn't?  Hoping to get some progress this weekend.  Little things slowing me down.  Finding fixtures, cutting off handle in other bathroom to replace valve before I sheet rocked the back side.  Handle wouldn't come off for nothing and Moen has now changed the design to prevent such disasters.  Worst case was I could access the back side and replace the whole setup.  Went as I had hoped though.  

Edited by LFairbanks

New doors went in today!  We waited 5 months for them.  Now I just have a bunch of finish work.  All the glass opens on the inside like you see in the last picture.  First picture is the front door.  Second is the back door.  Third as mentioned previously just shows how the glass opens and they are stainless steel screened.  

IMG_5004.JPG

IMG_4998.JPG

IMG_5009.JPG

Not today specifically, but us in the engine department did a full piston swap on one of the main engine's cylinders this week. Check out the size of this thing! The liner is 622mm in diameter.. yes thats me inside taking measurements lol. Second pic is the 1st and 2nd swinging the exhaust valve and head off to the side. Luckily that was low running hours so we didn't need to do anything with that. Took us 2 days to do this job from beginning to end.

IMG_1041.jpg

IMG_0931.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

IMG_0965.jpg

I would be curious to see those piston rings being installed. Those are huge! What was the main reason for changing the piston, looks like a lot of blow by? Often times when putting a new piston or rings in a motor a new cross hatch on the cylinder wall is required to seat the rings, but that would be quite the job as well. Impressed by the job! 

15 hours ago, Red Rambler said:

I would be curious to see those piston rings being installed. Those are huge! What was the main reason for changing the piston, looks like a lot of blow by? Often times when putting a new piston or rings in a motor a new cross hatch on the cylinder wall is required to seat the rings, but that would be quite the job as well. Impressed by the job! 

We have a sweet spreader tool for the piston rings. They’re about 2 feet in diameter. We change the piston crown based on running hours. Intervals for these pistons are 18000 hours, but usually they can last twice that. The liners (you can see our spare to the far left of me in the first pic) last about 50000 hours. However we take measurements (last pic) to make sure the liner is within its 4mm wear allowance, which this one was. No cross hatching required here. We simply bump up the cylinder oil amounts and Wartsila has a written procedure for piston and ring break in period involving certain engine RPM for specific lengths of time. The engineering involved in everything really is incredible. These slow speed plants are common on most ships nowadays because of the horsepower and torque outputs. 

On 6/7/2018 at 3:09 PM, Mariner said:

We have a sweet spreader tool for the piston rings. They’re about 2 feet in diameter. We change the piston crown based on running hours. Intervals for these pistons are 18000 hours, but usually they can last twice that. The liners (you can see our spare to the far left of me in the first pic) last about 50000 hours. However we take measurements (last pic) to make sure the liner is within its 4mm wear allowance, which this one was. No cross hatching required here. We simply bump up the cylinder oil amounts and Wartsila has a written procedure for piston and ring break in period involving certain engine RPM for specific lengths of time. The engineering involved in everything really is incredible. These slow speed plants are common on most ships nowadays because of the horsepower and torque outputs. 

Awesome. Sounds like a fun job for sure. Really impressed with the size of those. I did forget the RPM, being that large it would take lots of torque to get those pistons moving. I have built a few small single piston engines and my break-in procedure is fresh oil, run the motor at certain RPMs, but don’t allow it to idle for prolong periods of time until you know the rings are seated, dump the oil and go racing. I laugh because the pistons I’m dealing with are like 1/1500 scale of those monsters. Plus your dealing with tons of torque and a low rpm motor, if it’s diesel which I assume it is. Thanks for sharing. 

15 minutes ago, Red Rambler said:

Awesome. Sounds like a fun job for sure. Really impressed with the size of those. I did forget the RPM, being that large it would take lots of torque to get those pistons moving. I have built a few small single piston engines and my break-in procedure is fresh oil, run the motor at certain RPMs, but don’t allow it to idle for prolong periods of time until you know the rings are seated, dump the oil and go racing. I laugh because the pistons I’m dealing with are like 1/1500 scale of those monsters. Plus your dealing with tons of torque and a low rpm motor, if it’s diesel which I assume it is. Thanks for sharing. 

Hey I appreciate the dialogue! Engine builders, engineers, we're all the same. Glad you're in the business too!

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 2:02 PM, Mariner said:

Not today specifically, but us in the engine department did a full piston swap on one of the main engine's cylinders this week. Check out the size of this thing! The liner is 622mm in diameter.. yes thats me inside taking measurements lol. Second pic is the 1st and 2nd swinging the exhaust valve and head off to the side. Luckily that was low running hours so we didn't need to do anything with that. Took us 2 days to do this job from beginning to end.

IMG_1041.jpg

IMG_0931.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

IMG_0965.jpg

Great pictures!  Worked on a few this size on back up generators when working for a Detroit Diesel distributor. I may have to show these images this week to my Soldiers when going over Precision Instruments in my Axle Rebuild Class. 

• 2 weeks later...