Customer Service 866.965.0400

Whats your favorite beer?

Team Adam's

I know many of us enjoy a frosty beer post detail... and I'm somewhat of a beer hound. I love to try craft brews and off the wall imports, my current kick is belgian trappist beers - because if you can't trust a bunch of monks living in a monastery somewhere to turn out good beer, then who can you trust?

So lets make this a running thread a kin to the "what are you listening to right now?" thread.

Got a great local brewery or a favorite post detail brew... share with the group! I've begun to treat beers in much the same way people treat fine wine... my best friend and I grab a couple of new ones to try and spend an evening sipping and discussing. Some of the Belgian trappist or German purity law beers are truly inspiring, while some of the craft brewers in America today are pushing beer flavors in new and really interesting directions.

My personal favorite of the moment is Affigem Tripel :drool:

http://www.affligembeer.be/

NOTE: Adam's Polishes does not condone the consumption of alcohol by minors and will not tolerate the discussion of such activities in this thread. Additionally we encourage those of you that are of age to enjoy adult refreshments responsibly.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a list of Mook Approved beer. In my earlier walks of life, I spent time opening restaurants/and running a bar or two. I became acclimated to a few beer that are now close to my heart.

Budweiser. My grandfather drank Budwesier, and in some ways, he is my hero. Therefore I drink this to honor him.

My GoTo beer (while cooking or eating at BDubs or whatever) Bud Light.

New Belgium 1554 Black Ale is a favorite of mine, as is Sam Adam's Summer Ale. If I am drinkin a pure Hefe....I like Widmer.

Local stuff around here I just love: Bristol's Laughing Lab, Breckenridge Avalanche, More New Belgium stuff--Porchswing, Sunshine Wheat.

I don't get snooty anymore really. Bud Light is it 95% of the time.

Mook

I'm a fan too Osok... but I tend to lean a little bit more towards Stone as my favorite American craft brewer. Their Oaked Arrogant B@$tard is nothing short of perfection.

But don't get me wrong... I won't turn down a Yeungling anytime. There is love in that recipe you can taste it.

OH, and BTW Dylan, Laughing Lab and Avalanche both make Fat Tire taste less than average. :D

You.... me.... drinkin' the next time I'm out there. We'll drag Mario along too :lolsmack:

I think we spent the better part of 3 hours on the roof of the West End last time I was there.

http://www.newbelgium.com/beer.aspx

Born of a flood and centuries-old Belgian text, 1554 Enlightened Black Ale uses a lager yeast strain and dark chocolaty malts to redefine what dark beer can be. In 1997, a Fort Collins flood destroyed the original recipe our researcher, Phil Benstein, found in the library. So Phil and brewmaster, Peter Bouckaert, traveled to Belgium to retrieve this unique style lost to the ages. Their first challenge was deciphering antiquated script and outdated units of measurement, but trial and error (and many months of in-house sampling) culminated in 1554, a highly quaffable dark beer with a moderate body and mouthfeel.

Just the facts Ma'am...

ABV - 5.6%

IBU - 21

Calories - 200

Hops - Target

Malts - Pale, Carapils, Black, Munich, Chocolate

OG - 15.3

TG - 4.5

and there's more!

Find this beer with the Libation Locator

Pour me another...

Point Reyes Blue or Creamy Havarti

Derek Kennedy, Cheese Aficionado, recommends:

1554 has so much going for it that there is room all over the tasting wheel to find wonderful matches and contrasting goodness. Try disparate types of cheese as a perfect way to capture the elusiveness of this beer. The fact that a super creamy Havarti or a lighter blue such as Point Reyes Blue are both perfect shows the ability of this beer to be a chameleon.

Braised Dietzler Farms organic shortribs, turnip greens, cranberry beans, chestnut puree

Chef Todd Davies, Partner of Tap House Grill, recommends:

Rich malts and chocolate play perfectly with the braised red meat (or any meat). Lots of thyme, tomato and garlic (in the braise with the 1554) are integral to deepening the flavors of the malts. Peppery bitterness from the greens offset some of the sweetness of the malts. Cranberry beans (named for color only) are rich and creamy and complement the chestnut puree with their earthiness and richness, enhancing more of the malt flavor. This dish really pulls out the beer.

Cherry Portabello Mushroom BBQ with baby Red Potatoes

Christopher Medved, Executive Chef of City O' City recommends:

1554 is a dark beer enthusiast's summer dream. It has all the malty complexity of a dark beer, with that light bodied crispness of an easy drinking session beer. This combination makes it a terrific summer BBQ beer; it has enough gusto to stand up to the bold flavors coming off the grill, yet it remains light enough to drink a hundred of them in the backyard with your friends... responsibly of course.

Here's what's on my menu: Grilled baby red potatoes with lemon and rosemary, balsamic braised beet greens, cedar planked Portobello mushrooms with a cherry barbeque sauce. For dessert, an amazing WaterCourse Bakery vegan HoHo.

The balsamic braised beet greens are deliciously sweet and acidic, adding a bit of balance to 1554's rich malty character. The cedar planked Portobello is rich and earthy, which plays well with 1554 malty profile. The cherry BBQ sauce is just a little spicy but sweet, and no one can deny that cherries and chocolate are an irresistible combo. The WaterCourse bakery HoHo is a cream filled chocolate cupcake, and I can't think of a better beer to wash one down with than 1554, with its malty notes of chocolate and coffee.

I tend to be a wheat beer kind of guy. I like less bite in my beer. I tend to go for a Blue Moon or the like more than anything. I'm not a huge drinker though. I have no issues with people that are. Of course I frown against heavy alcohol use and detailing.

My buddy did that one time... Ouch...

Chris

mmm, going to have to try that. How does that compare with Chimay?

Which Chimay? Of all theirs I'm the biggest fan of Grande Reserve (blue) followed closely by Tripel (white) which as far as style is probably the closest to Affligem, but not nearly as good IMO.

I have no love for their Premiere (red) just doesn't do it for me.

I haven't really had much to drink lately.. Even at my own wedding last year I didn't get to drink much.. If there is a chance of me driving, I don't even have a sip.. also, I like to make sure I am available to make it to the FH if needed.. If I am DTS thats one thing, no issues going out by the tiki bar, hopping in the hot tub, relaxing.. lol.. as far as at my house, if I am having a nice BBQ I may drink a little..

I have tried a few different Ciders that seem to be pretty good.. Woodpecker Cider is pretty good, Woodchuck is pretty similar.. Magners is decent as well, has a little bit of a beer taste to it..

How do YOU open your beer? I bet it's not like this guy...

<object id="player_api" width="491" height="426" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://www.jokeroo.com/bin/player.swf?e8hj_f066"><param name="movie" value="http://www.jokeroo.com/bin/player.swf?e8hj_f066" /><param value="true" name="allowfullscreen"/><param value="always" name="allowscriptaccess"/><param value="high" name="quality"/><param value="#000000" name="bgcolor"/></object>

I tend to be a wheat beer kind of guy. I like less bite in my beer. I tend to go for a Blue Moon or the like more than anything. I'm not a huge drinker though.

I like Blue Moon and other wheat beers too. Also enjoy most of the Abita brews (a must at crawfish boils). I tried something new (to me) recently - Ommegang. It was the most flavorful beer I have ever tasted. It is a Belgian-style Abbey Ale made in Cooperstown, NY.

:cheers:

Great timing on this post as it's American Craft Beer week! :)

I'm a bit of a craft beer enthusiast. I won't drink "american" watered down flavorless beers. I put american in quotes as they are only brewed here, the decisions are made by a multinational corporate conglomerate, and it's more about marketing than producing a good product. I was recently saddened by the loss of Goose Island (craft brewery in Chicago) to InBev (owners of Budweiser). If you like beer, I highly suggest you watch Beer Wars, it's a great documentary on Big Beer vs. American Craft Beer.

But on to my Stand out Favs.

Dogfishhead - 60,90,120 Minute IPA's (I'm a total Hop head) (Delaware)

Dogfishhead - Indian Brown

Three Floyds - Gumball Head Wheat (Indiana)

Founders - Breakfast Stout (Michigan)

Founders - Porter

Bell's - Two Hearted (Michigan)

Bell's - Amber

Lagunitas - Lil' Sumpthin' Sumpthin' (California)

Lagunitas - IPA

Peace Tree - Blonde Fatale (Knoxville, IA)

Great River - Roller Dam Red (near Chewy/Chris in Davenport, IA)

Madhouse - Coffee Stout (Decorah, IA)

Many great beers from New Glarus Brewery near Madison, WI, you won't find New Glarus beer outside of Wisconsin unless it's in someone's fridge. Spotted Cow, Fat Squirrel

Schlafly Brewing down in St. Louis also has some amazing ales. Coffee Stout, #15, APA

Stone Brewing (California) too many good ones to list.

Left Hand Brewing (Colorado)

You know, just to name a few. :)

Archived