Customer Service 866.965.0400

Caring for Factory Vinyl Stripes

Question - a coworker of mine has a '06 yellow dodge charger r/t with matte stripes and decals. Because we work at a steel fabrication shop, he has accumulated yellow paint overspray on the matte stripes and decals. Can I clean, clay and then treat the stripes with VRT or is claying out of the picture? How should I go about getting the overspray off without messing up the matte stripes?

What about both? I have been using SVRT on the hood graphic on my raptor, but was wondering if adding QS would provide more protection, and if so... Which order?

I'd go with one or the other, not both IMO... I like the look of SVRT better, but the durability of QS is nice. I have my doubts QS would hold on very long applied over VRT... and VRT would be much the same over the sealant.

You could try some Revive or Fine Machine Polish by hand. I haven't tried claying, or remember hearing of anyone that has tried claying, their stripes yet.

I replied to Chase via PM, but you don't want to clay the matte stripes... it will likely impart more damage than anything else. Part of the drawback of vinyl is things like this pretty much require replacement to remedy.

You can try chemical cleaners, but again there the vinyl won't stand up to anything aggressive enough to remove dried paint.

Ditto. Thanks all.

I have decided that when I make the twice monthly run from Chattanooga to Nashville that I am going to add QS over the front part of the vinyl. I realize the protection won't last long, but it'll sure help in knocking the bugs off. Heck, I'll be QSing the entire front of the truck anyways... A few inches up the hood can't hurt.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I tried the Brilliant Glaze on my stripes this past weekend, can't believe how much better they came out! I've been washing them with the rest of the car about once every 1.5 to 2 weeks and it was crazy how much dirt and other junk came off. No before pic, but I'm going to use this as an excuse to post this picture again :lolsmack:

583a5527.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hey Dylan' date=' just wanted to say thanks for making this!....been doing this for my stripes ever since i found this video and i always forget how good they look when i get done:drool:[/quote']

Thanks for the compliment. Glad the video is helpful... ultimately thats the goal, answer questions and show solutions!

Dylan,

I'm aware that claying matte stripes is a no-no. But what about gloss? I figure it would be alright since you can wax them, but just want to make sure.

I've clayed gloss stripes and never seen any damage, but I've also had very limited success getting the clay to remove anything other than the very lightest of contamination. The last set I attempted where white and the rail dust just wouldn't come out of the material completely.

These were really abused and neglected so it was an extreme case.

• 2 weeks later...

Cool video. The stripes on the Camaro I am doing are matte Black and have swirls marks thru them just like the paint. Using the FMP and Blue Hex grip will take that out, then I can apply the SVRT correct? Just want to be sure.

I wouldn't use a machine on them. I think the SVRT would cover up the swirls somewhat! Sorry just read your post again. Gonna use it by hand I don't known out that either. What company makes the stripes. There are some links in this sticky taken from their respective websites about vinyl.

I wouldn't use a machine on them. I think the SVRT would cover up the swirls somewhat! Sorry just read your post again. Gonna use it by hand I don't known out that either. What company makes the stripes. There are some links in this sticky taken from their respective websites about vinyl.

Not sure what company makes them. came from dealer with them on it.

Cool video. The stripes on the Camaro I am doing are matte Black and have swirls marks thru them just like the paint. Using the FMP and Blue Hex grip will take that out, then I can apply the SVRT correct? Just want to be sure.

Unfortunately, once they're damaged they can't be corrected. Machine polishing is likely going to take them from matte to more satin - so if you go that way be prepared to do the entirety of the stripes to even it out. Universally all the manufactures discourage the use of abrasives... adding a machine to the mix puts it outside of whats recommended.

As I posted earlier - the downside of vinyl stripes is the ability to fix them. Painted stripes can be polished/corrected... vinyl is cheaper/faster which is why the factories use it, but its also more often a replace than a repair scenario when damaged.

Not sure what company makes them. came from dealer with them on it.

Most likely, if OEM (shipped with the car, installed at the dealer) they're 3M. Avery and Oracal are more seen in the aftermarket from what I understand.

Unfortunately, once they're damaged they can't be corrected. Machine polishing is likely going to take them from matte to more satin - so if you go that way be prepared to do the entirety of the stripes to even it out. Universally all the manufactures discourage the use of abrasives... adding a machine to the mix puts it outside of whats recommended.

As I posted earlier - the downside of vinyl stripes is the ability to fix them. Painted stripes can be polished/corrected... vinyl is cheaper/faster which is why the factories use it, but its also more often a replace than a repair scenario when damaged.

Most likely, if OEM (shipped with the car, installed at the dealer) they're 3M. Avery and Oracal are more seen in the aftermarket from what I understand.

thanks Man, so best just wash them up and hit with SVRT and buff off with Double Soft. That will work..

I was thinking using the FMP with a blue hex grip might work.

I will get some before and after photos. :patriot:

Hey Dylan, while washing today i had a couple issues, my car shampoo has not been sudsing ever since i got it and i was going to try it one last time before i contacted yall.

Now i write this here because that led me to going inside the house to get another soap causing the water on my stripes to heat up and dry up. some of the spots look like hard water spots and the remaining few are filled in kind of hazy (if that make any sense)

I tried: Detail spray, Blue hex pad w/ FMP, and VRT, APC, with no luck. What do you recommend? thanks!

Edit: just saw the product problem thread, will email about the shampoo.

Edited by Franklin's Bee

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

K.... Read this and about 25 other threads, watched videos... All OLD news!

Just traded my '13 Ram for a '13 Chargee R/T Daytona in Daytona Blue.

It is Amazing and if I could marry this car....well, anyway. The car had a build sheet in the glove box as well as the warranty info for the stripes... Saying 3M on the papers. So.. I have 3M vinyl stripes on the hood and the entire roof panel is vinyl as well (All Matte finish). It also has the plastic Matte finish spoiler on the trunk lid.

The 5 products I've seen used on vinyl stripes in vids and varied threads are:(not all 5 used at same time)

Diluted APC to clean

BG used to clean

Quick sealant to seal and dress

SVRT used to dress and protect

Americana used to dress and protect

My stripes are in good condition as it's a fairly new vehicle (4000mi and 9mo. old, came from central east coast of FL). I want to clean them since I do see a few mild etchings from bird droppings (stupid car lot). Figured BG would do it - I then want to dress them, but want a balance of keeping the factory look while getting the most protection and mileage out of what I protect them with.

What is the answer?

I'm a long time user of Adams (6 years now) (under a new forum account) and I've already used the 2 step polish on the painted surfaces (masked off vinyl) and I'm letting my machine sealant coat cure overnight. I'm doing the stripes and waxing paint in the AM (then glass and wheels).

I hope one of you guys can help me out before morning.

Thanks.