Customer Service 866.965.0400

Bad water spots on my vinyl stripes

Charger06

Question

Hey everyone I have some real bad water spots on my my black vinyl stripes along with swirl marks. I have been told by numerous people that there is no way of getting these out of it and I need to replace them or have them painted on. Well at the moment that isn't an option. So I was wondering if anyone might have any suggestions on how I can get them out.I've tried the svtr but it just mad them shinier then what they have been. Here are a few pictures.. I want to say thanks in advance..:help:

14 answers to this question

Have you seen this?

<iframe width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Qt5QdL6pzYQ?rel=0&hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cautions, Watchouts, & 'Don't Do That!' Warnings:

• Never work on stripes while they are hot to the touch. If you've been driving or the car has been sitting in direct sun for an extended period of time allow a few minutes for them to cool down.
  • Never work across the edge of the stripes with polishes or waxes. Tape off edges if necessary, dressings on the other hand are OK as they do not build up along the edges.
  • Always test the process in a small area before proceeding to the rest of the stripe. No sense in doing the whole process if you're not sure you'll like the result.
  • Do not use heavy abrasives or aggressive polishing methods as they can damage the stripes beyond repair.
  • All the processes described in the video can be 'undone' if you are not satisfied with the results.

Wax/Polish Residue, Stains, or Stubborn Contamination on Matte Stripes:

• Start simple... Waterless Wash or Detail Spray and a microfiber towel are very mild and should be tried before anything else.
  • Brilliant Glaze rubbed into the problem area with a soft foam applicator will remove most natural wax contamination.
  • Brilliant Glaze will also work well on blotchy or streaked stripes.
  • For dried polishes and polymer reinforced wax contamination a diluted mixture of APC (1:1) sprayed onto a towel and used to scrub may work. AGAIN ONLY USE ON STRIPES THAT ARE COOL TO THE TOUCH!!

Scuffs, Scrapes, and Hard Water Spots:

• Use about a large quarter sized blob of Fine Machine Polish on a blue foam hex grip polishing pad. Rub the polish into the stripe then remove excess residue with a plush microfiber towel.
  • Repeat the process as needed on more substantial damage. Use caution to not over polish.
  • Super VRT dressing will mask most minor scuffs and scrapes that aren't removed by the polishing.

I don't have vinyl stripes so I've never done any of this, but try some Fine Machine Polish applied by hand like Dylan suggests.

With actual damage on vinyl the best you can hope for is a minor improvement, its just not feasible to fix them b/c the amount of material you can remove (have to work with) is very limited.

Try FMP or Revive by hand (no machines!!) and then apply your preferred wax or sealant to them to keep them protected.

Upside of vinyl is the initial cost is cheap, downside is that you can't really fix issues with it like you can with paint.

My friend just bought a 2010 CAMARO SS. He is having major probs with the stripes. Looks like water.spots to.me.I have given him a bottle of DS and WW with a waffle weave towel and a mf towel. Jumkman said.not.to put any wax on the stripes. I.hope the.spots.come off.so this guy.doesn't resort.to using something harsh on the stripes out of frustration. Eeekkkkk!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Well hey, if you are going to pop the money on new ones anyways, you might as well try the PC. Tape off the edges and use FMP on a slow speed. If that doesn't work, bump it up a bit, and if that doesn't work, go to SHR. If you accidentally ruin them, hey, you were going to buy new ones anyways, but there is a chance you could fix them.

Well hey, if you are going to pop the money on new ones anyways, you might as well try the PC. Tape off the edges and use FMP on a slow speed. If that doesn't work, bump it up a bit, and if that doesn't work, go to SHR. If you accidentally ruin them, hey, you were going to buy new ones anyways, but there is a chance you could fix them.

:iagree:

Can you pop for painted on strips???? That way you never have to worry about them again!!!

Yeah, but then 3 days after it is finished, you find a nice big chip in the new stripes, and think "****! If it was vinyl, I could have just had that part re-striped".

Archived