Customer Service 866.965.0400

This weekends project: A very abused F350

Team Adam's

I wanted to take time to properly document this one b/c its gonna be dramatic.

Subject:

2001 Ford F350 belonging to my cousin Josh. This detail is actually a gift to him for his birthday from his wife.

Background:

This truck has been only washed via automated car washes since new, spent every single day of its life outdoors, and has been waxed maybe a handful of times.

Almost every morning its treated to a spray from the sprinklers (note the SEVERE water spots on the rear bumper and lower panels.

Exterior Diagnosis:

Even capturing the swirl marks on camera proved to be difficult as the paint is so dull and chalky most light looks more like a dull glow.

Numerous scuffs, scratches, and scrapes. If possible American PDR will be called in to address some of the smaller dents while I work (time permitting)

Glass all has very hard water spotting and potential etching.

All exterior trim (door handles, mirrors, bed caps, grill, etc) are dry, faded, and chalky (as to be expected) and the engine bay is filthy.

Wheels have brake dust that has actually begun to rust and appears to be fairly bonded to the aluminum. Undercarriage is dirty as to be expected.

Interior Diagnosis:

Not as bad as the exterior. Some uneven and blotchy sun faded panels, carpets are in overall good condition. Rear seat has what appears to be water stains.

The Pictures:

8ecd97f5.jpg

ed8ffba6.jpg

1578957f.jpg

143308a5.jpg

c5ef8c97.jpg

3d5d564a.jpg

cbe3a431.jpg

33651a9e.jpg

15b2058a.jpg

3f95cb38.jpg

28734a5c.jpg

f435733d.jpg

3e9e79f9.jpg

68c63ff1.jpg

18218815.jpg

367e5636.jpg

17eae476.jpg

37910bca.jpg

50698987.jpg

cb451179.jpg

2af19603.jpg

4a0a3533.jpg

c3ea7701.jpg

6c23408e.jpg

fb70b42a.jpg

64c521a6.jpg

6f914e9c.jpg

4f2b07f8.jpg

423e52eb.jpg

b697cfca.jpg

61a18e0e.jpg

47945dd4.jpg

1797cb10.jpg

a970b8e8.jpg

29bc2fd5.jpg

a1c1e231.jpg

8a137c80.jpg

4ac38fa0.jpg

16ae4ac4.jpg

64e61745.jpg

90a24815.jpg

c3c6fff8.jpg

5fe1376d.jpg

81fcebed.jpg

8160fa1d.jpg

284e940d.jpg

b0226e26.jpg

c77a3114.jpg

b98cac5b.jpg

3cb81aaa.jpg

67e5bb54.jpg

Interior will be tackled first then Friday thru Sunday will be spent on the exterior with the hopes of delivering the truck back to him when he joins us for the 4th of July.

Stay tuned... this is gonna be a good one!! :thumbsup:

DAY 1 - Thursday:

The interior wasn't bad, but due to the lack of care over the years the panels soaked up leather conditioner like nothing. They were just BONE dry, especially after cleaning. It took a couple liberal coats to get everything even.

The carpets were worse than they looked... you'll see why below.

Started like I do with any detail, pulled the matts and got to work with the Metro Vac N' Blo 500. The brush attachment was used on all the vents, door switches, etc to get dust and buildup out of the cracks/crevices

03be0a61.jpg

Under the matts wasn't much cleaner than the matts themselves

08619f3b.jpg

I soaked the stains with Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner, I also lightly misted the seats at this time too, then simply blotted them dry with a edgeless utility towel

11e77a65.jpg

The real challenge was going to be the matts. In addition to just a lot of dirt it looks like something like coffee had been spilled and dried

13f1598c.jpg

More Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner, but this time I called upon the Bissel Little Green Machine Pro Heat to lend a hand and cut the amount of scrubbing down. 6oz of Cleaner was added to the water tank and all spots were pre-treated with straight Carpet & Upholster Cleaner and an Adam's Carpet Brush

1a6e8bb5.jpg

0c4adaa2.jpg

5e92b0b1.jpg

16a6fd5d.jpg

Repeated the process for each one

194257b6.jpg

5403e759.jpg

b103e9b9.jpg

After just 2 carpets I was left with some pretty dark water... gross.

861ae7e8.jpg

But the carpets came out fantastic! I set them out in the sun to dry up the last bit of moisture before putting them back in the truck

65ba65a9.jpg

1bd0ef2d.jpg

While the rugs are drying it was time to tackle the dirty residue that covered all the interior panels. It was definitely going to take full strength Leather & Interior Cleaner plus the Interior Brush to get the job done:

f5177851.jpg

7109cf41.jpg

The door sills were nasty as well so I took care of these also using Leather & Interior Cleaner, an Interior Brush, and Edgeless Utility Towel

b0d40080.jpg

332fa473.jpg

3dd5937c.jpg

dc0d23d4.jpg

f553005d.jpg

The dash and door panels were cleaned using the same combo, but in tighter spaces or spots where the dirt was more stubborn a trim & lug nut brush sprayed with a little leather & interior cleaner was used. It came in especially handy on the HVAC controls where a combination of skin oils and dust had caked themselves into the grooves

7455f9c4.jpg

83279676.jpg

85111a7b.jpg

Once I was satisfied that everything was clean it was time to condition. All the hard surfaces were treated using Leather & Interior Conditioner on a red foam interior app. The upper sections of the door panels got 2-3 treatments each as did the dash. Other panels weren't as bad.

0b0098c1.jpg

a2ea671a.jpg

d7355c54.jpg

Tight spots were treated to shot of In & Out Spray

efac4fba.jpg

While conditioning the door panels I hit the inner window seals... they were gray and chalky

5058c078.jpg

A quick application of Leather & Interior Conditioner on the red foam interior app made them nice, dark, and moisturized

e2e55481.jpg

1f913b5d.jpg

By this time the carpets were dry, and ready to go back in, I placed an open box of Arm & Hammer in the rear to absorb any excess moisture while the truck is parked. It should also help with the slight musty odor of the interior

9c6572d0.jpg

341767bb.jpg

a6855199.jpg

8b0b2067.jpg

3b414bea.jpg

086394cc.jpg

a5c5b747.jpg

Everything was put back in place, and tomorrow I'll tackle the undercarriage/engine bay, then move to paint cleaning and correction.

Forgive me for not updating sooner... after being out in the heat I've been less than motivate to upload pics and continue the writeup. Anyways... heres more to bring you up to speed:

DAY 2 - Friday:

I was only going to invest a few hours getting the wheels, tires, engine bay, undercarriage cleaned up so it would save me time on Saturday morning.

Got my supplies ready:

bc690348.jpg

I added about 3oz of Green Wheel cleaner & 3oz of APC to the bucket and filled the rest with water. Given the level of contamination on the wheels I wanted a little extra something. The combination foamed up nicely and seemed to aid in cleaning.

ec454097.jpg

Given the buildup on the wheels and inner fenders I chose to drag out the pressure washer. Started with a thorough blasting to break everything up. The wide angle tip really helped get the 'gunk' out of the lettering and sidewall detail of the tires.

f6948972.jpg

f787af36.jpg

b8b45eb0.jpg

The wheels were saturated with Green Wheel Cleaner, then scrubbed with the wheel brush, tighter areas were addressed with the lug nut brush

482b2867.jpg

ee16f086.jpg

After scrubbing away the rust and brake dust buildup the wheels were rinsed

d510c39e.jpg

Then the tires were soaked with full strength APC which was allowed to dwell, as you can see the cleaner was working, and removed some pretty nasty buildup even before I began scrubbing. After scrubbing with the fender brush they were blasted again with the pressure washer

acb533d6.jpg

de2cc169.jpg

c6c812cd.jpg

3a5c4dcc.jpg

bf53310b.jpg

Lastly I turned my attention to the fender linings following the same procedure with APC, Fender Brush, and pressure washer.

7008c626.jpg

5c2a4a23.jpg

757bf4cb.jpg

Since I wasn't intending on cleaning the rest of the truck at the same time, I used the metro blaster sidekick to knock all the water off, then towel dried the remainder with a little detail spray and a waterless wash towel

c38010f7.jpg

9b1e541b.jpg

The process was repeated on all 4 wheels/fenders before starting on the engine bay.

I began by hosing everything off using the broadest fan setting on the ultimate fire hose nozzle

af70bb4c.jpg

Everything was then soaked with full strength APC

0905fa9c.jpg

44bfe954.jpg

3a550cbf.jpg

Things like the radiator hose and other heavily soiled parts were given a second treatment

980e13de.jpg

7fb91c05.jpg

Then everything was scrubbed using the wheel brush and tighter spaces were addressed with the trim & lug nut brush

ae238126.jpg

14b273a4.jpg

Lastly the engine bay was rinsed with the broad fan setting on the ultimate fire hose nozzle, again being sure not to spray directly into any sensitive areas and never using high pressure.

14b273a4.jpg

ba723904.jpg

The hood was then closed and the truck was allowed to idle in order to help dry everything out before dressing. At this point it was a tad uncomfortable outside

f5819e43.jpg

Water break was nice, but it didn't feel right detailing without a brew :D

21f8639a.jpg

AHHHHHH! Thats better!

f154b669.jpg

Popped the hood and the heat from the engine did a good job of drying almost everything up, what remained was addressed with the blaster sidekick, waterless wash, and waterless wash towels.

8234a4cb.jpg

1731cc7e.jpg

4008b477.jpg

31a4d066.jpg

f20e7427.jpg

Time to make it shine... the engine bay was treated with a combination of In & Out Spray, Super VRT, and block sponges

43701663.jpg

8fbd8551.jpg

The finished results were awesome! Not bad for a truck sporting 6 digits on the odometer!! Not everything came back good as new, but I was more than happy with the turn around.

9d6f47c9.jpg

43de92f9.jpg

561a0843.jpg

b062b36e.jpg

69395337.jpg

I called it a day at this point, lots of rest needed for an early Saturday morning with lots of paint correction!!

DAY 3 - Saturday:

The day starts with a decision to use a mixture of APC and Car Wash for the first round of decontamination. After inspecting the paint closely there are all manner of issues, including what appears to be tar or sap dried in various areas. Also wanting to strip the trim and plastics of any oily dressings it seemed like a good choice.

In my Foam gun I went with a mixture that included about 6oz of All Purpose Cleaner, combined with 2oz of Car Wash to give the foam some lubricity. The mixture was very effective at stripping and foamed extremely well.

Taking the pH level out of balance with the APC ensured it would completely strip everything in one shot. Just needed to be sure not to allow the mix to dry on the paint or risk damage.

55eee852.jpg

751bc1e6.jpg

Opting for the pressure washer again I started by rinsing everything very well.

f2c4b1f2.jpg

afd43551.jpg

Next the truck was foamed using my APC/Car Wash mixture

7f868a9b.jpg

2 bucket wash method was followed, and 3 wash pads were used. 1 Jumbo for the upper 2/3rds, a standard for the lower 1/3rd, and a separate mit for the front end/grill which was heavily contaminated with bugs

0d1c5a8f.jpg

Switching over to the ultimate fire hose nozzle everything was rinsed

693d48c5.jpg

I quickly towel and Detail Spray dried the truck and got to work with the clay. The shade was shrinking quickly and the temps were climbing.

bbc0962b.jpg

b12eb22b.jpg

From just one test spot you can see this paint was NASTY!!

3bee89d2.jpg

Back to the hose and 2 bucket wash to get the clay residue off of the paint. So much junk was pulled off that I was not going to risk going over the top of the residue. 2 new wash pads were used for this wash to avoid cross contamination from the APC mixture in the strip wash.

Started with a good rinsing

7bf21e44.jpg

Then foamed using a mixture of 4oz Adam's Car Wash Shampoo

c3f7bf34.jpg

69545868.jpg

83176a97.jpg

Separate mit was used for the lower sections again

dd0d9f7c.jpg

One last good rinsing with the ultimate fire hose nozzle, then the truck was sheet rinsed to eliminated standing water

e6b70a0a.jpg

819e701f.jpg

With shade rapidly disappearing the E-Z up was deployed while I got the water out of all the trim, cracks and crevices with the Blaster Sidekick

52659876.jpg

The remaining water was towel dried with a great white drying towel and waterless wash as a drying agent.

The door jambs were wiped down using waterless wash and a edgeless utility towel

f4f7e7c6.jpg

Knowing the trim was already going to take multiple applications of Super VRT to restore I opted to apply the first coat before beginning paint correction. This step also helps save me time later as I wont need to tape off.

Treating trim BEFORE polishing or waxing creates a sort of barrier that wax/polish residue won't stick to, making it easier to wipe away. Also I could get sloppy with the application. If any Super VRT residue was left on the paint or glass it would be removed during the polishing stages.

fb721faa.jpg

1581a41c.jpg

45f70562.jpg

The tops of the bed rails were especially dry and chalky... Super VRT restored them to a nice sheen

4aaeb956.jpg

21d3b5f1.jpg

6298f072.jpg

1e7b6626.jpg

With the trim dressed it was time to start on the paint. Being that there were so many areas in need of focus pad work I started there first, going around the truck and attacking each of the deeper scratches and scuffs with the green 4" pad and Severe Swirl Remover on my cordless drill. Each area was then hit with the orange 4" pad and Swirl & Haze Remover.

d17c0e1d.jpg

Once I was satisfied that I had reduced the major defects to a point that the flex could handle the remainder or a scratch was too deep to be completely corrected I designated the drivers door as my test panel. This part of the truck seemed to have the worst of the water etching and swirl marks.

I began by taping off a section so I could monitor my progress

692e91d5.jpg

The section was then hit with the Green Flex Pad + Severe Swirl Remover, followed by 2 passes of Orange Flex Pad + Swirl & Haze Remover, and finished with the White Flex Pad and Fine Machine Polish:

e50ebfd0.jpg

8614d5ff.jpg

The metallics made it difficult to capture all the defects, but the diffusion of the flash alone shows what a difference the process made in clarifying the paint.

a90679f4.jpg

bbc498c6.jpg

Satisfied I had identified my process I proceeded to polish the entire truck, panel by panel using the same method.

ff829cd3.jpg

The difference in paint clarity was very obvious once I completed a section of the hood

11a3bd00.jpg

df9eee9b.jpg

Temps rapidly climbing to triple digits I moved the truck fully into the garage and continued working. To counteract the heat of the panels and the machine I sprayed each panel with distilled ice water and wiped with a clean single soft towel before polishing. This slowed the speed at which the polish dried out and allowed me to work with less dusting.

Knowing I was asking a lot of the flex to work so hard, for so long, in these temps I had an icechest nearby with cold packs inside. When the machine began to get too hot and transfer that heat to the pads I would shut it off and allow it to sit closed in the icechest for a few minutes to reduce the temps.

Also working under my 500w halogen made it easier to monitor progress as I worked.

baf066ae.jpg

Smaller sections like the pillars, around badges, and the front grill were polished using the 4" pads on the porter cable

91cae1a6.jpg

b004ebde.jpg

1f75f3d2.jpg

Once the paint was completed it was time to turn my attention to the chrome bumpers. Both had SEVERELY bad water staining that the claybar didn't help much. A mixture of vinegar was tried as well with little result.

Using a couple of old 4" white pads on the PC I used Metal Polish #1 followed by Metal Polish #2 and the bumpers came out perfect

d9dfda6a.jpg

A clear 50/50 shot of the before and after

517de772.jpg

After polishing with both steps I removed the residue with a fresh edgeless utility towel

7dc06601.jpg

At this point I had been working on the truck for 11 hours... time to call it a night, and enjoy some time with my wife and son. Another early start awaits me on Sunday if I'm gonna finish this thing!!

DAY 4 - Sunday:

When my alarm went off at 5:45 I had a "what have I started?" moment. A cup of coffee and I was ready to get going.

Since the truck had been inside overnight it was still clean, but to be sure I started with a Waterless Wash/Waterless Towel wipe down to get any dust that may have settled off of the surface

0be10089.jpg

While doing the waterless wipe down I noticed some areas where the Fine Machine Polish had not come off cleanly. I've experienced this in the past when trying to correct paint in high heat. My solution is to use a Grey Porter Cable Waxing pad with Revive Polish. The paint cleaning properties of Revive clean up any leftover Fine Machine Polish and everything removes from the paint easily with a single soft towel

15d42cb9.jpg

7b1314c9.jpg

Now I'm starting to see that reflection I'm after!!

ce8a0f4b.jpg

b1ee3574.jpg

Paint as I wanted it (again) I picked up where I left off the day before - the bumpers. Again with a pair of spare 4" white pads and the porter cable I put Metal Polish #1 and Metal Polish #2 thru their paces... I was even more blown away by the results on the rear bumper. Keep in mind this is an area that had been washed, clayed, and wiped with vinegar to remove the water spots prior to this, but MP 1 & 2 got the job done!

957e00bc.jpg

ab9efc2a.jpg

Next was the glass... the water spots (like the on the bumpers) were unaffected by clay and vinegar... so the 4" orange pad went onto the porter cable and the windows were all buffed with Swirl & Haze Remover which worked perfectly.

7b7a1cf5.jpg

04748c1c.jpg

85a8966b.jpg

The rear window only had some hazing and small spots, the orange hex grip applicator with Swirl & Haze Remover did the job there

68250e0d.jpg

Interior and exterior windows got a wipe down with Adam's Glass Cleaner and a microfiber glass towel

990de7f6.jpg

b2ce7818.jpg

All the polishing had left some polish dust in various areas, I used the blaster sidekick to blow the dust from the finish and out of the crevices.

e7ac9c9d.jpg

Time for the tires and undercarriage... a heavy dose of Super VRT on a pro tire app handled the rubber, invisible undercarriage spray turned the chalky fenders dark black

e3508d61.jpg

78ef8a1c.jpg

c1a2dfe6.jpg

af5d7b4a.jpg

Time to unveil a little something I've been working on... but first the paint needed to be BARE. I wanted no residual polishing oils or anything on the surface so I wiped the paint down with isopropyl alcohol and a single soft towel.

38f09e22.jpg

You know that spray sealant I've been hinting at?? Well here it is... code-name Adam's Speed Sealant. We're still in testing phases, but its getting closer to being a finished product.

f7001db4.jpg

The product is unique in that its a high tech micro polymer that begins to form a very hard bond as soon as it hits the paint, for proper atomization it needs to be in a compressed aerosol can and will be the first product of its kind.

Its simply sprayed onto ANY surface (paint, glass, chrome, plastic trim, etc)

2ea10ad8.jpg

Then spread with a foam applicator, I prefer the Americana apps

4b639026.jpg

Its an optically clear sealant, so it can be applied across decal edges without any buildup

5f8944be.jpg

aabaa5f5.jpg

fbc34e4f.jpg

After removing the residue with a double soft microfiber towel the sealant reveals a super reflective, bright shine. I moved the truck partially out into the light to inspect the results

50078999.jpg

80c814c4.jpg

6568a02e.jpg

1f7aa3b3.jpg

The bumpers were also treated with the prototype sealant

4083296d.jpg

d7dd316c.jpg

The entire truck was treated to a coating of the new sealant, including the glass. At which point I looked up to see the thermometer topping 103*.

Took a break and waited for the temps to get back into the low 90's... when they did I returned to the garage for a final coat of Americana Paste Wax double soft, snapped a couple of quick pics and tucked it in for the night before watching my Halos beat the Dodgers again.

Plan is to wake up tomorrow, pull it out, give it a final inspection, get some good full sun pics and hopefully by then the owner should be here to see it. I'm excited to see what he thinks :D

88038068.jpg

df52daf2.jpg

8f9652a4.jpg

Some badass dropped Avalanche kept showing up in the reflections :D

beb309e2.jpg

cffe22b0.jpg

a307492f.jpg

8756654f.jpg

97684bb6.jpg

97684bb6.jpg

I'll post the final shots tomorrow when I have a chance to upload them. Hope everyone has a good 4th of July! Thanks for looking.

DAY 5 - THE CONCLUSION:

Backed the beast out of the garage (no small task with the angle my garage sits) and gave it a visual inspection. Some spots were wiped down with Detail Spray and yet another clean Double Soft towel.

The windows were touched up with Glass Cleaner and Glass Towel to get some streaks that hadn't been visible in the garage.

A couple areas around the front tow hooks were hit again with In & Out Spray that I had missed earlier.

I even went so far as to polish the antenna that had been removed so I could clear the garage door before I put it back on.

52dab009.jpg

62a7d4c9.jpg

84f931b2.jpg

Drove it down the street to a local park where I usually take my after shots. The lighting is good and theres room to get around the truck at various angles. Even at 9am the light was already harsh.

8127cb87.jpg

c27480f6.jpg

7087f740.jpg

7d037829.jpg

2ebe701b.jpg

0b37df8e.jpg

c02f4e3c.jpg

8f2cac3d.jpg

Catching a reflection of the tree, the street light, part of the mirror and even the interior off the hood. Not too bad!!

fcd2d32e.jpg

Engine bay still looking pretty

e686c030.jpg

Remember those dry, chalky, faded cowl pieces and mirrors?

a87e19c9.jpg

0e2e6817.jpg

0dc053ab.jpg

The wheels, cleaned, polished, and sealed

5c9284ee.jpg

The glass, now spot and streak free, with a coat of sealant

0757eaca.jpg

Trying to capture the lack of swirls proved a little difficult given the harshness of the light and the amount of metallic flake in the paint. A couple of these shots I tweaked the exposure slightly to show the condition of the paint - no swirls!

3ba30211.jpg

342ddc56.jpg

8e6f4d2b.jpg

8d793009.jpg

fd60e51a.jpg

78a044d8.jpg

82232835.jpg

Sitting back at the house now, waiting for my cousin to come pick it up. Thanks for reading this marathon of a detail thread. Hope it was entertaining and educational... Now I'm gonna enjoy my last day of the 3 day weekend. sHa_thumbsup3.gif

bc45cce2.jpg

Edited by Dylan@Adams

What are you going for here; full correction or just cleaned up?

(posted before Dylan updated post with later taken pics)

Edited by Chewy

Dylan,

I am interested to see what you can do for this one. I have a similar situation with my truck. I am looking forward to your process and supplies, as I don't have a clue where to start with my Silverado.

Scott (SSFOS)

Dylan;

You are a gluten for punishment. I can't wait to see the after. The paint correction will take a long time, just on the sheer size of the F350. I know I got its baby brother (F150 Supercrew) and it takes me forever to wash it, lone off polish and protect it. Good Luck!!!

Must be a good cousin Dylan... I have NO cousins I would spend three days working on their vehicle for. I'm an a-hole like that though... :D

My personal truck will stay uncorrected. It's just not worth it. It's made for hauling and when I lean over to tie something down, I touch the paint.

That's A LOT of work. I'm guessing the Flex is coming out.

Chris

Edited by Chewy

Must be a good friend Dylan... I have NO friends I would spend three days working on their vehicle for. I'm an a-hole like that though... :D

Chris

It's family...

2001 Ford F350 belonging to my cousin Josh. This detail is actually a gift to him for his birthday from his wife and myself.