Customer Service 866.965.0400

How long does it take you to clay a small vehicle?

PlasmaPlayer

Question

Hi guys,

This is more of a sanity check for me but I took on claying my vehicle for the first time this past saturday and felt like it took me a lot less time than I would have thought. I watched both the Adam's video as well as Junkman's video to see the technique and I used about the same speed that they showed on their car's, on my own car (2011 STi Hatch with 6k miles).

The car is only 7 months old and had never been clayed before. For those of you familiar with the car and have clayed many cars before, how long do you think it should have taken me? The car is visibly very clean and lives outside and has had a fair amount of highway miles put on it. Even a range of times would be helpful. :help:

Thanks very much in advance for your comments!

16 answers to this question

When I did my car the first time, it took about 2 hours. When I did a friend's GTO that sat in a salted impound lot during the winter, it took 4 hours. When I did my dad's F150, it took me 3 hours.

Really can't explain time when it comes down to what is on the paint. Even if someone just claybarred it 6 months ago, if they sat under a sap tree everyday, they're gonna have a tougher time.

It's completely conditional.

I don't take my time either, so I'm curious if everyones paint here is as good as they think it is after claybarring in only 30 minutes. That seems very quick to me.

Thanks for the response. As I mentioned in the initial post, the car was 7 months old and in pretty good shape so I doubt it would ever need to take me upwards of 45 minutes. Thanks for your post though!:rockon:

When I did my car the first time, it took about 2 hours. When I did a friend's GTO that sat in a salted impound lot during the winter, it took 4 hours. When I did my dad's F150, it took me 3 hours.

Really can't explain time when it comes down to what is on the paint. Even if someone just claybarred it 6 months ago, if they sat under a sap tree everyday, they're gonna have a tougher time.

It's completely conditional.

I don't take my time either, so I'm curious if everyones paint here is as good as they think it is after claybarring in only 30 minutes. That seems very quick to me.

There really is no set time or pace. It all depends on how bad the finish is. I personally do 1 panel at a time (splitting the larger panels in half) Then do a baggie test. If it's smooth? On to the next one. If not? Another pass. Unless your car is like sand paper it's not a time consuming process. I would say anywhere between 10-30 min depending on the size of the car.

Thanks so much to everyone for responding. Seems like somewhere in the area of 20-40 minutes is the typical time needed to fully clay a small/mid sized vehicle. It took me about 15 minutes for my car so I think I might have top slow it down just a bit. Unfort we got some rain literally 10 minutes after I finished claying last weekend so I will probably just do this whole process over again this saturday morning (assuming no rain). Then move into some light hand polishing and top off with buttery. Will post pics when done. Thanks again fellas! :2thumbs:

A lot depends on what condish the finish is in. When I clayed my car the first time this spring it took me about thirty minutes. This was a new car order delivered direct from the factory (OK so it probably got delivered to Saginaw, MI by way of Detroit to Los Angeles to New York to Saginaw). I was shocked how contaminated the paint was. It's been about 8 weeks and the paint is already contaminated. I think you should clay at least every time you polish and wax. It was a lot faster this time - 15 minutes and little effort. ;)

It took me only 15 minutes to do my entire Mustang this last time. I used Adams clay, Adams DS and an Adams Single White Microfiber and my finish was rougher than a night in jail. I did the whole car this past spring and I didn't think it needed it till I did the baggie test.:o

Archived