Customer Service 866.965.0400

Removing Black Paint From Alloy Wheels

03Ap1

Question

So pretty much as the title states I want to remove black spray paint from painted wheels. It was done by the previous owner by rattle can (regular spray pain in a can) I want to do this without compromising the alloy finish and hopefully by doing it myself. Ie:not bringing it to get sand blasted. I doubt Adams sells any products for this, however if you think an Adams product may work I am all ears. I just figure that this is a good place to post a question like this rather then a car forum. At this point my best idea would be some sort of stripper and just giving it time. However are alloy wheels usually clearcoated or are they just polished? Anyway Thanks for the help, Tom

I would pass on that, looks like a cheap POS that is worth nothing more then holding the "directions" down.

Considering that you have 4 rims this would cost you about $75 per rim. I know the soda guys around me charge just about that. Besides, you could always fleabay it or craigs list it and recoup half your money. This has some really good reviews.

Soda Blasting Equipment For Sale - Soda Blast Machine Supplies

Walnut shell blasting, or soda blasting.

These are non abrasive techniques. The yachts i used to work, when a boat came in for service they had to remove the high heat paint without ruining the aluminum exhaust manifolds. Theres a guy here that does mobile soda blasting. Just do a google search.

Sodablasting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dude you beat me to it!!

Go to a tractor supply and grab a sand balster for like 30 bucks and a bucket of them. My father has a bunch of different things to blast with from glass to sand to walnut.

So I ended up doing one wheel with paint stripper. Worked pretty good. I will get pics up soon.

My new problem now is that these wheels had been clearcoated from Honda at factory. I read that its ok to just polish them with some polish and be done with, however it makes it alot harder for the wheel to be cleaned. So what are my options on getting clear back on them? I am definately not going to just rattle can clear on them because I hear that they just turn yellow eventually with the heat from the wheels.

Any ideas?

I have a trailblazer ss and the outside of the rim is clearcoated and the barrel is raw. I plan on using aircraft gel stripper and the power washer come spring time. You would and able to chemically or mechanically remove the black without touching the clearcoat or the raw aluminum under neath. So that being said Strip the wheels and the polish them up lol I would use something like zoop seal to help keep oxidation at bay. Wonder if Adams makes something like that.

use Metal Polish #1 & #2 after getting the paint off, then seal them with MSS applied by hand or the new Quick Sealant. there's all kinds of write-ups on how to use the Metal Polish on this forum.

20 buck at home depot for paint striper. what part of ny tom?
I am from Queens. Not far from long island.

I have a trailblazer ss and the outside of the rim is clearcoated and the barrel is raw. I plan on using aircraft gel stripper and the power washer come spring time. You would and able to chemically or mechanically remove the black without touching the clearcoat or the raw aluminum under neath. So that being said Strip the wheels and the polish them up lol I would use something like zoop seal to help keep oxidation at bay. Wonder if Adams makes something like that.

Good info Thanks

Edit: damn lot of long islanders on here.

Harbor Freight says it all. Me personally I don't even go into that store. For the most part you get what you pay for especially in tools. And you always end up going back to buy the better one and it cost's you more in the long run.

The thing to look at when it comes to your compressor is how much C.F.M. at what Pressure.

Funny you mention that I was actually thinking about buying this:

Abrasive Blast Gun with Bag

but I am unsure if it would work. I have a pretty big compressor but the motor isnt so great. But since this thing operates at 70psi it might work. What do you guys think anyone ever use it? Should I use soda blast or walnut shell which one is more arbasive? Will either hurt the alloy finish?

Sorry if I am not allowed to post links to non Adams products, however since its not in direct compition with an Adams product I think I am ok.

Walnut shell blasting, or soda blasting.

These are non abrasive techniques. The yachts i used to work, when a boat came in for service they had to remove the high heat paint without ruining the aluminum exhaust manifolds. Theres a guy here that does mobile soda blasting. Just do a google search.

Sodablasting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You mentioned painted or polished....which is it/what kind of car and wheels? Some wheels are base coat/clear coat and others are polished - some clear coated some not.

That being said, most likely any stripper will end up taking more off than you want, so this project will likely get worse before it gets better! In the long run, it will be faster to just strip them and refinish them assuming you want to go that route.

- Darryl

They are painted with black spray paint currently. Underneath is polished aluminum. I am not sure however if there is clearcoat on the aluminum or are they just polished?

I've read about people taking the lovely gray "paint" off the wheels on Vettes. On those particular wheels the "paint" or the gray material is put there by GM on the wheel barrel. Under that paint is chrome. Don't know what wheels you have or what the material/finish may be under that black paint.

Let us know what car and wheels you have. It may help in determining what your options would be.

Let me know if you want to see the write-up on the Vette wheels. I can PM that link to you if it would help.

:cheers:

I have a Honda S2000 they are the same alloy wheels that come on pretty much every other S2000 besides the designs differ.

I am open to the link. Anyhelp will be great. I assume the paint on the Vettes from factory are much durable then simple black spray paint. So whatever they used will surely be good enough for me. Especially since my Aluminum finish is not as delicate as the chrome finish you say that is under the factory vette painted wheels.

I've read about people taking the lovely gray "paint" off the wheels on Vettes. On those particular wheels the "paint" or the gray material is put there by GM on the wheel barrel. Under that paint is chrome. Don't know what wheels you have or what the material/finish may be under that black paint.

Let us know what car and wheels you have. It may help in determining what your options would be.

Let me know if you want to see the write-up on the Vette wheels. I can PM that link to you if it would help.

:cheers:

You mentioned painted or polished....which is it/what kind of car and wheels? Some wheels are base coat/clear coat and others are polished - some clear coated some not.

That being said, most likely any stripper will end up taking more off than you want, so this project will likely get worse before it gets better! In the long run, it will be faster to just strip them and refinish them assuming you want to go that route.

- Darryl

Archived