Customer Service 866.965.0400

Foam Gun: Soap ratio

AudiOx

Question

From many previous threads, it seemed the most common ratio was about 2oz of shampoo and the rest with water, then set the foam gun (Gilmore II in my case) to "D".

After several washes with the foam gun with these settings, I'm still left underwhelmed. The foam runs off the car much quicker than I envisioned. If I foam down the hood, by the time I work around to the trunk, almost all the foam is off the hood. Obviously the run-off is even faster on the sides.

I ran across Adam's car wash video from the 6th video series. He's using the foam gun originally sold by Adam's I assume, but from the 2:00-3:00 mark, he describes the foaming process.

His ratio was 12oz of shampoo. He didn't mention any extra water added, and then he put the gun on the "B" setting. He also demonstrates the effect at a "C" or "D" setting. The foaming appears to be thicker and 'adhere'/'stay in place' much better.

Did I miss something or was the process with the Adam's gun very different? Or does this just go through the shampoo to quickly (i.e. expensively)?

16 answers to this question

Sounds like it's the tool, not the process. The tool will get me 90% of the way there and the process is the last 10% of tweaking.

However the lance is attached to your pressure washer handle, then thats the fitting you will need. There's only a few different options out there.

Like everyone has said, your results with the hose type foam gun are standard. Within 5 minutes your car will be soapless.

The video's you see are with a foam cannon, and most likely a soap that is designed for them. I'm like you, that's what I want to get. I bought the cheap one from Home Depot and it works OK for $20, but the reservoir is only 12 oz, which is annoying. You have to time it right just to be able to finish a small car. I want my vehicles looking like they have white sap all over them, that lasts until I get my wash pad out:drool:

Let's be honest, if all the suds are gone by the time you start with your wash media, it really is not providing any benefit. That's why I heard a suggestion on hear to foam panel by panel. The works OK, but like you, I'm still not satifsfied.

You know you are required to do an in depth video review now right?

Report back when done:lol:

Also, that pic you posted is one of Phil's write-ups. He is one of the best and usually lists all products used.

In parallel to getting a foam cannon set up, I might just run a little scientific test comparison complete with runoff times and pictures.

Variables:

-Soap and water quantity: 2oz, 4oz, 6oz, 8oz all filled to the 32oz brim w/ water, and then 12oz (w/ no water)

-Gilmore setting: A, B, C, D, E

Non-variables:

Test subject (door panel)

Atlanta water hardness

Water pressure

Man, I'm bored.

Issues:

I don't think I can scale the water/soap quantities and have a valid test, thus I'd have a lot of waste.

AudiOx, like you I have been underwhelmed with the foam gun. Ratio recommendations vary quite a bit on here, but 2oz seemed to be a fairly common number in all the reading I've done. However, I found Dylan's foam gun introduction post a few days ago, and in it I noticed he states: The gun only requires 6-8oz of soap per 32oz mixture to make extremely THICK foam.

Disclaimer: I have yet to try this and see if it makes a difference in the way the foam clings to the car. If this spring like weather hangs around while I have some time off next week, I'll give it a try.

Hope that helps.

In parallel to getting a foam cannon set up, I might just run a little scientific test comparison complete with runoff times and pictures.

Variables:

-Soap and water quantity: 2oz, 4oz, 6oz, 8oz all filled to the 32oz brim w/ water, and then 12oz (w/ no water)

-Gilmore setting: A, B, C, D, E

Non-variables:

Test subject (door panel)

Atlanta water hardness

Water pressure

Man, I'm bored.

Issues:

I don't think I can scale the water/soap quantities and have a valid test, thus I'd have a lot of waste.

AudiOx, like you I have been underwhelmed with the foam gun. Ratio recommendations vary quite a bit on here, but 2oz seemed to be a fairly common number in all the reading I've done. However, I found Dylan's foam gun introduction post a few days ago, and in it I noticed he states: The gun only requires 6-8oz of soap per 32oz mixture to make extremely THICK foam.

Disclaimer: I have yet to try this and see if it makes a difference in the way the foam clings to the car. If this spring like weather hangs around while I have some time off next week, I'll give it a try.

Hope that helps.

I typically recommend anywhere from 4-6oz of car wash per a 32oz canister of water to get a nice thick lather from most foam guns. Water pressure, the type of gun used, water quality, etc all play a role in how the gun will operate so a little experimenting/fine tuning will likely be needed, but that at least gives you a starting point.

Thanks. I'll start with 5-6oz next time for comparison.

What gun setting have you had the most success with? D?

Generally at the D setting, I use about 85-90% of the quart container to foam the A8 and about 70% for the A4.

Thus using 5-6oz I'll get maybe 2 washes of the A8 per 16oz shampoo bottle since I use another 2-4oz for the buckets and on the wash mitts.

Hmmm. At that rate, I'm thinking a foam cannon may pay for itself in a year just in saved product. We only have DDs, no garage queens, so doing 4 deep washes a month uses some serious product. I'm glad I stocked up on gallon refills.

Who am I kidding? It's a cool toy, and I already have the pressure washer which is the majority of the setup cost! :banana:

I typically recommend anywhere from 4-6oz of car wash per a 32oz canister of water to get a nice thick lather from most foam guns. Water pressure, the type of gun used, water quality, etc all play a role in how the gun will operate so a little experimenting/fine tuning will likely be needed, but that at least gives you a starting point.

T.O. (BlueGenCoupe) got me set up with the correct components.

Now that I have the process from Adam's, it bugs the crap out of me if it's not perfect. Dern detailing addiction!

....in search of the perfect foam consistency, aka unicorn blood.

My new hobby will be wheel curbing touchup. My wife curbed her front left wheel about 15% of the perimeter on Tuesday. First it was the purple ink on the seats, now curbing. I might have to trade in for a new wife next time, maybe a youger model that's into OCD, bald guys. :lolsmack:

You can buy wheel restoration kits to take care of the curb rash if you are a god DIY'er:lolsmack:. I won't post the link, but search German wheel restoration kit.

or get one of the mobile companies to come to your house and take care of it for you. Here's an example of how they do it.

However the lance is attached to your pressure washer handle, then thats the fitting you will need. There's only a few different options out there.

Like everyone has said, your results with the hose type foam gun are standard. Within 5 minutes your car will be soapless.

The video's you see are with a foam cannon, and most likely a soap that is designed for them. I'm like you, that's what I want to get. I bought the cheap one from Home Depot and it works OK for $20, but the reservoir is only 12 oz, which is annoying. You have to time it right just to be able to finish a small car. I want my vehicles looking like they have white sap all over them, that lasts until I get my wash pad out:drool:

Let's be honest, if all the suds are gone by the time you start with your wash media, it really is not providing any benefit. That's why I heard a suggestion on hear to foam panel by panel. The works OK, but like you, I'm still not satifsfied.

Anthony (BlueGenCoupe) got me set up with the correct components.

Now that I have the process from Adam's, it bugs the crap out of me if it's not perfect. Dern detailing addiction!

....in search of the perfect foam consistency, aka unicorn blood.

My new hobby will be wheel curbing touchup. My wife curbed her front left wheel about 15% of the perimeter on Tuesday. First it was the purple ink on the seats, now curbing. I might have to trade in for a new wife next time, maybe a youger model that's into OCD, bald guys. :lolsmack:

That kind of foam is only possible with a pressure washer mounted foam cannon. I use a very unscientific method for my foam gun. I just mostly fill the canister with water, and then squeeze in some shampoo until it seems right, and then swirl it around real well to mix the shampoo and water.

Sounds like it's the tool, not the process. The tool will get me 90% of the way there and the process is the last 10% of tweaking.

Yea thats from a foam cannon attached to a power washer.. thats what I use and a few others as well. If thats the kind of foam you want get a foam cannon

great. Here I go spending money again and another toy. <TWIST arm my>

At least I have a pressure washer, but my cheap 1800psi Husky will need a whole new 'gun' since it doesn't have nice quick disconnects. I saw a gun kit with adapters for all the brands at Home Depot. I'll need that just to be able to connect a cannon.

Yeah, I've tried 3 and 4 oz too with no 'game changing' differences. 12oz + no water at the "B" is a not a tweak though, but a whole different concept. I guess I was just expecting something like this:

DSC_7018.jpg

This is probably only possible with one of the pressure washer type guns.

Look at that runoff near the front side reflector. It's almost like gel.

Pardon my anal, engineering mind. I mean no harm. :jester:

That kind of foam is only possible with a pressure washer mounted foam cannon. I use a very unscientific method for my foam gun. I just mostly fill the canister with water, and then squeeze in some shampoo until it seems right, and then swirl it around real well to mix the shampoo and water.

My suggestion to you is to experiment and find the ratio that your happy with.

I use a foam cannon and I use 4 oz of soap andthe rest of the bottle is water(maybe 20+ oz of water) and the foam is pretty think.

Yeah, I've tried 3 and 4 oz too with no 'game changing' differences. 12oz + no water at the "B" is a not a tweak though, but a whole different concept. I guess I was just expecting something like this:

DSC_7018.jpg

This is probably only possible with one of the pressure washer type guns.

Look at that runoff near the front side reflector. It's almost like gel.

Pardon my anal, engineering mind. I mean no harm. :jester:

Archived