Customer Service 866.965.0400

FAQ - "Do the products have a shelf life?"

So after reading the tips in the 1st post, I moved all of my stuff from the garage into a spare bedroom. Texas summers get really hot. My garage is insulated so in the winter it only gets down to 60*. But in the summer it can get to 95*. So I put everything in a spare bedroom in the house. Unfortunately my wife is complaining about the smell. (I've got gallon containers of detail spray, deep wheel cleaner, waterless wash, & upholstery cleaner plus 16oz bottle of the same stuff and more). My guess is, the deep wheel cleaner may be the culprit but I'm being forced to move it out of the house regardless.

I need some recommendations on what to do.  I don't want my stuff going bad because of heat and want to keep the wife happy. Is there some kind of airtight sealed container  can use? I someone mention a beer fridge. Are there ones that don't cost an arm and a leg. I don't need a tap to dispense Adams products, although that would be cool to show off to the neighbors. LOL

Edited by scott750

I keep all my gallons in the kitchen, in a cabinet the wife doesn't use.  I tried keeping my Sonax FE in there, and like you, she booted it back out into the garage.  If you have the Adams buckets with the lids, you could always keep the foul smelling offenders in the sealed buckets.  I don't know if I would buy a fridge just for my detailing supplies...electriciity alone in the dead of summer wouldn't be worth it to me...

So after reading the tips in the 1st post, I moved all of my stuff from the garage into a spare bedroom. Texas summers get really hot. My garage is insulated so in the winter it only gets down to 60*. But in the summer it can get to 95*. So I put everything in a spare bedroom in the house. Unfortunately my wife is complaining about the smell. (I've got gallon containers of detail spray, deep wheel cleaner, waterless wash, & upholstery cleaner plus 16oz bottle of the same stuff and more). My guess is, the deep wheel cleaner may be the culprit but I'm being forced to move it out of the house regardless.

I need some recommendations on what to do.  I don't want my stuff going bad because of heat and want to keep the wife happy. Is there some kind of airtight sealed container  can use? I someone mention a beer fridge. Are there ones that don't cost an arm and a leg. I don't need a tap to dispense Adams products, although that would be cool to show off to the neighbors. LOL

If you put them in some sort of insulated container the temperature should remain fairly constant.  Not too hot, or cold.  You could pick up a cheap cooler or a tote and insulate it with a old blanket or something.  Even one of those cheap styrofoam coolers I would think would even work, but may not last very long if abused.

Or one of these.  Look pretty cheap price wise with good reviews.

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Appliances-Refrigeration-Mini-Refrigerators/N-5yc1vZc4mo

Dude, I have 4, 5 litre containers on Sonax FE (lemon scent my arse), and 2 gallons of DWC (doesn't smell one bit) in my storage space inside the house.  Its awesome that my coats are stored there as they all smell like lemon backside now.  Oh well, I'm more concerned with longevity of chemicals than a smell that wears off fairly quickly in the open air.

Dylan,

I have given in and taken the expert advice for refrigerating my waxes.  I have also heard its a good idea to refrigerate polishes so I've done that as well.  As such, I've refrigerated my Revive and Buttery.  Is this a bad move, or just fine for me?  I figured this would be ok, but I'd feel better getting the scoop from you and your guys.  I appreciate it!

Completely unnecessary with polishes... I would save yourself the fridge space. In general polishes are fairly tolerant of heat, I just wouldn't let them freeze. Also make sure the tops are closed so they don't dry out. If you were to do anything for long term storage I'd say put them in sealed plastic bags to prevent them from getting dried out, but even thats probably not entirely necessary. 

I have also heard its a good idea to refrigerate polishes so I've done that as well.  

Completely unnecessary with polishes... I would save yourself the fridge space. In general polishes are fairly tolerant of heat,

I have had some polishes (not specifically Adam's) separate from being in the garage all summer, so I keep mine inside.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello everyone.

So, my Americana, all purpose cleaner, and car shampoo sat out all winter (brutal one here in Michigan). I drug them in to the house today and my all purpose cleaner has a floating chunk of ice in it. the car shampoo is clumpy and slightly discolored, and my Americana has shrunk inside the container and cracked in half.  :(

Is this stuff done or do you recommend I replace these.

Regards,

Adam

I've seen posts where folks have heated up their Americana and repoured it into the container. Mine has shrunk but not split. I might look into it one of these days. It is fine as it is, but would be better firmly in the container. Do a search if interested.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Original post has been updated to include products that were added to the line after this was written.

As for the above question - you can melt Americana if you need to re-pour or re-form it... BUT it must be done slowly.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES MICROWAVE IT.

Some customers have used candle warmers to slowly melt the wax. These use a incandescent light bulb and a ceramic tray to melt wax incense and can do the same for a paste wax.

The other option is to fill a pan with water. Make sure the water level is lower than the top of the wax pot with the lid off, and not enough to allow the tub to float. Place the wax in the middle of the pan and using EXTREMELY low heat on your stove bring the water temp up gradually until the wax softens. Maintain that heat for a little while and the wax will melt completely.

Carefully remove the wax from the pan once its fully melted and set it somewhere safe to cool down. It will slowly harden back to a block and be ready to use. Remember - hot wax will burn and it sticks to you so its dangerous. Use a lot of caution when attempting this.

• 4 months later...

Great write up Dylan,   Last winter I forgot to bring my detail cart in one night and it dipped into the teens at night.  A few products froze up but I didn't notice any effects with them after they thawed out.  Lesson learned. 

• 1 month later...

Awesome write-up and suggestions on the follow up posts. I'll be sure to be relocating my arsenal from my non-insulatiled garage and keep new ones indoors as summers are sometimes brutal and winters ridiculously cold here in North NJ.

• 3 weeks later...

Great information on this page. These are all questions i was asking for awhile. I have a detached garage and it sounds like I need to store my supplies in the basement. Question. What is your thought on putting the supplies in a cooler year round. Would that be enough protection from cold and hot weather. Your thoughts

Great information on this page. These are all questions i was asking for awhile. I have a detached garage and it sounds like I need to store my supplies in the basement. Question. What is your thought on putting the supplies in a cooler year round. Would that be enough protection from cold and hot weather. Your thoughts

Nope. A cooler only slows down tempurature changes. With no heat source, product left in the cooler will still freeze in winter and, without cooling, get too hot in summer.

• 3 weeks later...

Great writeup!

From the writeup, it seems like as long as the products re-combine, they are safe.  Is that always true, or are there other considerations we should look at?

I ask b/c I stored all my products in a temp controlled basement for 3yrs (long story) and I'd love to get back into detailing with the new car purchase.  But I'd also be terrified if I damaged my car due to expired chemicals.

Thoughts?

• 2 months later...

You're on the right track. If they shake up and work, no issues. If you see separation and or they have been in extreme temps, some may be past useful life.

Just remember H2O Guard and Gloss seems to always separate a little even when new. Just remember to shake all products up before use.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just dug my old supplies out of the garage to attack a new vehicle purchase. After reading this post I think its time for some fresh kit. The last time  I purchased the products I currently have at an Adams open shop/detail clinic in there warehouse, Adams still had the warehouse in Torrance Ca. So that might tell you the age of my supplies. A few look like they held up fine, but others are way past done.  Do you have a trade in program- haha.  Oh well, time to start reading up on all the new products and looking at what I will need again.

• 2 months later...

I would like to get some confirmation on the age of a few older products as I'm trying to work out what kind of shelf-life they have.  Can some one from Adam's (or anyone else) please tell me when these products were released, when they stopped being released or roughly how old they are?

Just for reference, these are the current bottles with the new Adam's logo which I believe came out early this year?:

29828591185_91f135c4e4_c.jpgAdams1 by avimore, on Flickr

Prior to this, I believe these bottles were produced with the Adam's logo in white lettering, a red stripe and no chrome.  Doing some research I found that these bottles were available roughly from 2013-2015?:

29793284416_b5be925069_c.jpgAdams2 by avimore, on Flickr

29201513544_5222ed0133_c.jpgAdams5 by avimore, on Flickr

The oldest products I have are these:

29793286206_255ae66f2d_c.jpgAdams3 by avimore, on Flickr

29715761462_c25e931b87_c.jpgAdams6 by avimore, on Flickr

These look like the older labels that have chrome sections on them with the Adam's logo letters in chrome.  I'm not sure when these were produced but I'm guessing prior to 2012??

Thanks.