Customer Service 866.965.0400

HELP! Sweat Stains in Cloth Seats

man5011

Question

Open for ideas if anyone could help. I detailed a 2010 Silverado work vehicle this weekend for a customer. The truck received full detail inside and out with a requested focus on the interior. The inside was a mess but it cleaned up beautifully. The seats are cloth with a vinyl like material up the center. As you can see in the pics the seats were covered in sweat stains. I sprayed a liberal amount of Adam's CUC on them and scrubbed with both the carpet and leather brushes. I sprayed them again before using my Bissel Auto hot water extractor (using only water). As you can see the seats came out great. I let them sit overnight with a box of baking soda to help dry the interior out. Next day I finished the exterior and everything looked amazing. Day after customer picked the truck up he called and said the passanger seat dried and the white stains appeared again. I told him to bring it back this weekend and I would make a second attempt. Any thoughts on what I could do differently?

post-6246-136818067072_thumb.jpg

post-6246-136818067077_thumb.jpg

post-6246-136818067081_thumb.jpg

post-6246-136818067085_thumb.jpg

16 answers to this question

get an extractor.

Read agian, he does:

I sprayed them again before using my Bissel Auto hot water extractor (using only water).

How the heck can 2 ppl sweat that much?

I do, and get the same stains. I just clean my seats more often so they never get that bad. The warm water on the Terry Cloth towel finishes up the job after the seats are good and dry: usually the following day.

So would you guys agree that I more than likely broke down and removed the sweat/salt from the fabric and that what is appearing is more than likely dried CUC residue that wasnt completed extracted?

Most likely. You'll know for sure once you get it back and can compare where they are now vs. where they were before. If they're still in the same places break out the extractor again.

as dylan stated, it will take filtered water, or you could grab a 2.5 gallon of distilled water from the grocery store and use that. whichever is easier for you. straight tap water depending on your area might not work as well.

I'd repeat extraction a few more times, but with just water.... no cleaner of any kind.

The problem is likely only being exaggerated to some degree by our cleaner. As it is a sodium based cleaner you're (to a degree) adding some more 'salt' to the areas. For the initial cleaning and removal of dirt the cleaner makes sense, but to address the set in salt you'll need to go with just water. I've only ever done one car that was similar to this inside and it took a total of 3 passes of straight water (filtered) extraction to get rid of the stains.

Thanks Dylan. I appreciate your time and feeback. I will give it another shot as per your instructions.

I'd repeat extraction a few more times, but with just water.... no cleaner of any kind.

The problem is likely only being exaggerated to some degree by our cleaner. As it is a sodium based cleaner you're (to a degree) adding some more 'salt' to the areas. For the initial cleaning and removal of dirt the cleaner makes sense, but to address the set in salt you'll need to go with just water. I've only ever done one car that was similar to this inside and it took a total of 3 passes of straight water (filtered) extraction to get rid of the stains.

Thank you all for the input and compliments. Adam's did most of the work with some manual labor and patience.

To answer some replies, this truck belongs to the owner of a professional lawn care company so its more of a hot summer vehicle. The truck is also used for plowing in the winter so there is the possibility their clothing carries salt from the salt spreader on to the seats. As some of you who detail cars for other people know, you just learn not to ask questions. Sometimes its best you dont know! The main reason for the detail was to bring the interior back to new so he can put seat covers on for the upcoming season.

Also, some of you reccomended a carpet extractor. Going back to my original post, I in fact did use a carpet extractor with hot water. Initially everything looked amazing and I am just hoping its dry CUC that can wipe off quickly.

Thanks again!

almost exactly like my last detail of my gf car, but she had like dog hair like stains from the oil i think. Everyone noticed them on my thread and it was obvious cause I didn't have my extractor. Some of the pros will chime in for ya, havent came across this That being said the truck looks great cleaned up, good work man! Throw up some pics once you get it back.

How the heck can 2 ppl sweat that much? I play many sports and I don't think I sweat enough to do that much damage.

Great work though. Give it another go with the extractor.

This was my initial thought, but you have to remember everyone's body works differently.

Man5011, that was a great job you did on that interior:2thumbs:.

Wait until you get the truck back and see where this white residue is at on the seats. If they are in a different spot then in your pictures, then its possible this was the CUC as the other members mentioned. The good thing is you have pictures to compare where they were initially.

Nasty! First thought is seat covers.

Often times as the CUC dries it leaves a white residue. I've been able to remove that residue with just a terry cloth towel and warm water rubbed over the marks.

So would you guys agree that I more than likely broke down and removed the sweat/salt from the fabric and that what is appearing is more than likely dried CUC residue that wasnt completed extracted? I wish I could put up current pics but I dont get it back until this weekend.

Here are some additional pics from the detail:

post-6246-136818067088_thumb.jpg

post-6246-136818067092_thumb.jpg

post-6246-136818067096_thumb.jpg

post-6246-136818067099_thumb.jpg

Nasty! First thought is seat covers.

Often times as the CUC dries it leaves a white residue. I've been able to remove that residue with just a terry cloth towel and warm water rubbed over the marks.

Archived