Customer Service 866.965.0400

HOW TO: Debadge a vehicle

Team Adam's

Call me paranoid, but doesn't the eraser wheel scratch the hell out of paint???!

Also, I prefer to use floss instead of fishing line. Yes it's more of a pain because it breaks many times and you'll need to get a new piece, but I figure ANYTHING that is softer/easier on the paint is better.

Found this picture of my freshly debadged car when it was literally a day old...that was 28 months and $12,000 ago ;-)

BEFORE:

6-2-20129-34-46AM.jpg

AFTER:

6-2-20129-23-17AM.jpg[/img]

Edited by colodude18

• 2 weeks later...
I hate badges on vehicles [unless it is subtle]. The day I got my car I began removing the badges I didn't like.

I started with the emblem, model, and the stupid E85 sticker.

Before.jpg

And left the Avenger one.

Trunk.jpg

Something to watch out for is fading of the paint and having it "known" that there were badges present. Usually machine polishing and leveling of the paint in the area will disguise it. That holds very true for molding as well. A lot of moldings can leave stains or be faded [or the terrible bubbling paint problem]. That is why removing moldings sooner is often better.

I use a stoners product for the removal of tar and rubber. The rubber literally falls of, but the use of an APC and IPA works as well.

You should center that avenger logo.

You should center that avenger logo.

^^fixed :)

Removing all the badging makes the rear look too plain Jane for my tastes, especially with the big wide a** of the Taurus. But whatever you like best on your vehicle is fine with me.

I would remove it before centering it, but I don't want it to be plain either. I left it so I could make the decision later, although it has been that way since last sumer...

Hmmm, decisions. I may remove it when I polish and coat my vehicle and then decide if I want to reattach them somewhere.

• 1 month later...

Removed my only remaining badges yesterday and found an even better way to remove the glue that's left behind after you take the badges off:

Using painter's tape, tape a double layer of toilet paper (kitchen towel works too) over the area with the glue. Soak the tp with goo-gone, ad let it sit for about an hour. The goo-gone will soak into the glue. After an hour, you should be able to simply peel the remaining glue off without any rubbing at all!

015-1.jpg

016-1.jpg

I've seen this method before... I would caution everyone from trying it unless they're confident in the finish quality of all the adjacent areas. I've seen exposure to goo-gone and other adhesive removers discolor some factory parts - mostly painted door trim from GM trucks and SUV's.

If you go this way just be careful and try to isolate the chemical to the intended area as much as possible.

Badged:

IMG_0860resize.jpg

Debadged:

IMG_0893resize.jpg

I was lucky, the glue for the letters stuck mostly to the letters and not much to the panel. I removed what remained with goo-gone on a paper towel then quicly wiped everything down with Waterless Wash and proceeded to polish the areas out with the 4" focus pads on the pc. Some Brilliant Glaze and Americana and she looks nice.

IMG_0891resize.jpg

Badged:

IMG_0860resize.jpg

Debadged:

IMG_0893resize.jpg

I was lucky, the glue for the letters stuck mostly to the letters and not much to the panel. I removed what remained with goo-gone on a paper towel then quicly wiped everything down with Waterless Wash and proceeded to polish the areas out with the 4" focus pads on the pc. Some Brilliant Glaze and Americana and she looks nice.

IMG_0891resize.jpg

Please clean that car when you get a chance. :D

Dave that debadge session made your GTO's hiney super hawt.

Ha, I thought so too. I had to throw the cover back on it so I could stop staring at it and move on!

Edited by BRZN

I tackled the biggest one first... the lettering is super easy. I wish they'd just have an option to get the vehicle without it in the first place. :thumbsup:

Looks super Dylan. I just started doing mine today.

Hey, isn't that one of those hair dryers they have in the Motel 6 rooms? :D

Is that a Wagner heat gun Dylan?

I just got a Wagner and it is 10x better than my previous Harbor Freight version.

I know it's a lot slower but I've used my wife's hair dryer and I've found that you can still make mistakes, it's a lot safer on the paint. And as Dylan said, it makes it easier if you can put the side you are working on, towards the sun and let 'er warm up a little before you actually start.

I didn't see it mentioned in this thread but you guys should try using a rubber door stop to help remove the left over glue. When I removed the big black bumper step pad on my TBSS i used a bit of heat and the corner of a brown rubber door stopper to help take the glue off. It worked great and did no harm to the paint.

I didn't see it mentioned in this thread but you guys should try using a rubber door stop to help remove the left over glue. When I removed the big black bumper step pad on my TBSS i used a bit of heat and the corner of a brown rubber door stopper to help take the glue off. It worked great and did no harm to the paint.

Hmmmmm. Never heard of this before. Think I'll go ask the only neighbor that talks to me if I can try it out on his truck. :confused:

Looks super Dylan. I just started doing mine today.

Hey, isn't that one of those hair dryers they have in the Motel 6 rooms? :D

If the hair dryers in the Motel 6 rooms can light things on fire from a foot away - yes. :D

Is that a Wagner heat gun Dylan?

I just got a Wagner and it is 10x better than my previous Harbor Freight version.

Its a Milwaukee I believe.

Interesting...

So, I debadged my vehicle about an hour ago. I started by using a heat gun and some dental floss, but soon realized that I did need a heat gun. Just used the floss to get the rest of the badge off.

There was some glue left, so just like Dylan demonstrated, I used my fingers to get most of the glue off. Then I used a clay bar to try to remove the residue. After claying 3-4 times, I got most of the glue off. I DID NOT use anything like Goo Gone or 3M adhesive remover, and now I'm left with some "ghosting".

7663810172_bdcce86ccf_c.jpg

7663815882_afec6a0f50_c.jpg

7663821084_2d8dbba757_c.jpg

I want to get rid of this residue, but do not own a machine polisher. Will GooGone or 3M Adhesive Remover do the trick or will I have to be more aggressive?

On a lighter note - look at what some word jumbling does :jester::jester::jester:

7663805714_c59d0fb63e_c.jpg

7663822258_4d71835047_c.jpg