Customer Service 866.965.0400

HOW TO: Debadge a vehicle

Team Adam's

He doesn't have one

Sam, check for a vendor or user around you who might be able to help. Would probably need a polisher to fix

Sorry, I was agreeing with a post before mine about polishing [by hand]. I don't feel the residue is an issue, but fading, marring, etc that is around the emblems but not under them.

If the hair dryers in the Motel 6 rooms can light things on fire from a foot away - yes. :D

Easy fix. Just "splice" the wire from the hair dryer onto the super duty electrical cord you guys sell.

Its a Milwaukee I believe.

Interesting...

I DID NOT use anything like Goo Gone or 3M adhesive remover, and now I'm left with some "ghosting".

Pretty common, you have to figure the paint under the badges has lived an entirely different life than the rest of your car, so theres going to be a distinct visual difference once the badges are pulled. The sooner after purchase a debadge is done the less likely there will be any noticable ghosting.

I want to get rid of this residue, but do not own a machine polisher. Will GooGone or 3M Adhesive Remover do the trick or will I have to be more aggressive?

Its not a residue, its a physical difference in the paint and it will require polishing to remove it, most likely by machine.

You could simply grab this kit and spot correct the problem areas with a drill if you don't have a PC or the budget to get into machine polishing right now:

Adam's FOCUS 4" Cordless Drill Polishing Pad Kit

Badged:

IMG_0860resize.jpg

Debadged:

IMG_0893resize.jpg

I was lucky, the glue for the letters stuck mostly to the letters and not much to the panel. I removed what remained with goo-gone on a paper towel then quicly wiped everything down with Waterless Wash and proceeded to polish the areas out with the 4" focus pads on the pc. Some Brilliant Glaze and Americana and she looks nice.

IMG_0891resize.jpg

Just have to say that the color of your ride is fantastic. When I was going through RAM 1500 trucks like a Sailor goes through beer, I decided to buy my diesel. There was one 1500 with the same color or almost the same color. But after the 4 Ram lemons, I bought the diesel. I couldn't order it in this color. Seen one truck with the color of your car and the owner had to really put forth a lot of effort because you could see this thing coming for a long ways down the road due to the super shine he had ~ just like you have on your's. :2thumbs:

There was some glue left, so just like Dylan demonstrated, I used my fingers to get most of the glue off.

Clay bar wont take it off too easy. Didnt on mine at least. Give goo gone a try. What I did was washed the panel off with the hose not to spread any dust or dirt my hand hit on there. Then I used the fishing line, cut the emblems all off. soaked them in goo gone and they pulled off. I kept spraying the glue with goo gone every couple of minutes just to keep them saturated. Once it looked like I got all the foam tape/glue off I took and hosed it off again. then sprayed some waterless wash on it and wiped it off to make sure I got it all. If I didnt, I took some more goo gone, put it on a soft rag and wiped the glue off like it was butter. Mine turned out phenomenal.

So many extra pieces...

2012-07-29_22-20-30_524.jpg

So much cleaner, Its time to find the plasti-dip with glossifier for all my bumpers!

2012-07-29_22-20-50_820.jpg

Took the side off as well

2012-07-29_22-21-05_497.jpg

And oh the car reflecting... hope to have it back together next week-ish! Its only been 2 years...

2012-07-29_22-22-26_574.jpg

Stig...nuff said

2012-07-29_22-22-42_43.jpg

And the gf thought it would be funny to start flashing the camera and I took a pic. I warned her it was going to go on the forum and she threatened my truck with a thumb print... we see who won this battle!

2012-07-29_22-23-16_109.jpg

Its not a residue, its a physical difference in the paint and it will require polishing to remove it, most likely by machine.

You could simply grab this kit and spot correct the problem areas with a drill if you don't have a PC or the budget to get into machine polishing right now:

Adam's FOCUS 4" Cordless Drill Polishing Pad Kit

Makes sense. I ordered the Cordless Drill Polishing Pad set today. Will post pictures of the results.

Sent from GS3 using Tapatalk 2

After spending a few dollars from various places in an attempt to make it easier to clean up glue after you de-badge a vehicle, I have found this to be a superior solution.

Additionall, you can strip wax off your entire ride by using this product.

SEM Solve

You "will" have to re-apply any product you had on the vehicle. This will remove everything.

I tried to read the below warnings but I couldn't get them to come up on the back of my monitor. :lolsmack:

"Keep away from heat and flames." Avoid contact with eyes and skin. Use with adequate ventilation. Do not breath vapors or mist. Wear NIOSH/MSH approved respirator. Wear protective gloves and clothing, and face protection. If on skin, wash immediately. WARNING: Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling the contents may be harmfu or fatal.

NOTICE: Reports have associated repeated and prolonged occupational overexposure to solvents with permanent brain and nervous system damage.

You may want to check this page out: Auto Body Toolmart - SEM Adhesives, Chemicals, Etc. Also look at the SEM Chip Guard Aerosols product for protecting the rocker panels.

I bought this from a well known and local Auto Parts store and it comes highly recommended.

I'm "finally" taking the badges off of my Ram truck. By far, this puts IPA and other products we may use, to shame.

FYI - Product is made in the U.S.A.

Edited by Corners

• 1 month later...

Wife was working late and I got bored waiting for someone to cook my dinner!

03Beforeresize.jpg

04Afterresize.jpg

01Beforeresize.jpg

02Afterresize.jpg

2007 Dodge Magnum with 86,000 miles on her. Daily Driven Company Car that's parked outside 24/7/365. Just the ever most slightest of ghosting where the letters were removed and you'd be hard pressed to find it unless the light was just right and you were at the correct angle to it.

Hair Dryer

12 lb test monofiliment line

Fingernail

Goo Gone

IPA

Clay Bar

4" focus pads on the pc:

Green pad w/SSR

Orange Pad w/SHR

White pad w/FMP

"Stuff" to remove any remaining polish residue

Buttery Wax & Yellow Hex Grip applicator

Couple of Adam's Single Soft microfiber towels

Two Beers

Edited by BRZN

• 1 month later...
A watch-out for goo gone and similar products is staining on white paint... a few customers have learned the hard way that it leaves a faint yellow stain on pure whites.

i noticed that when i debadged mine, but i immediately clayed and used FMP afterwards and didn't have any staining... had i known about the eraser wheel beforehand...

• 4 months later...
Guest Gone & Forgotten

Since my truck is 2 days old (not counting how long it sat on the lot at the dealer) the time for this is NOW!!, or when the weather warms up a little. 1000sf garage... Insulated walls, not insulated ceiling ---- LP heater can't keep up.

Will post pics. I hate to lose the HEMI badge.... But debadged = no badges.

Dude on Ram Forums said to use some naphtha or something lol. Crazy. Why not set fire to it too....

IPA should do it and if not... I'll go buy a stripe wheel.

Since my truck is 2 days old (not counting how long it sat on the lot at the dealer) the time for this is NOW!!, or when the weather warms up a little. 1000sf garage... Insulated walls, not insulated ceiling ---- LP heater can't keep up.

Will post pics. I hate to lose the HEMI badge.... But debadged = no badges.

Dude on Ram Forums said to use some naphtha or something lol. Crazy. Why not set fire to it too....

IPA should do it and if not... I'll go buy a stripe wheel.

I believe the main ingredient in 3M's adhesive remover is Naphtha. I may be mistaken though. All I know is the 3M product is the best I've ever used and makes the job MUCH less painful. One of the first things I'm doing is debadge and the Hemi emblem is going too. I personally don't like calling it a "Hemi". I think it's silly. It's a V8 IMO.

IPA won't touch it!! Goo gone, Kerosene, or WD-40 work too. I've used them all, and borrowed some 3M remover and HOLY cow that was a lot better. I bought a quart which should last me a lifetime... :2thumbs:

I actually do a complete wipe down of my cars with this product. It removes tar like no bodies business!

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/3M-General-Purpose-Adhesive-Cleaner/dp/B000RHZ30S/ref=pd_luc_top_sim_03_03_t_lh?ie=UTF8&psc=1]Amazon.com: 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner 08984, Quart [PRICE is per QUART]: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

I just ordered an eraser wheel off Amazon. The RAM has an awful lot of badges!

Edited by Chewy

Guest Gone & Forgotten

Well, the main ingredient in our paint on the car is urethane or lacquer... But I'm not putting that on my vehicle.

Never really messed with naphtha. I've been a professional painter since 1989. I've messed with m.e.k., use mineral spirits all the time, denatured is my go-to cleaner/deglosser for doors and cabinets and Xylene is my secret weapon for fixing someone else's bad work.

Is naphtha a 'hot' chemical?

I'm doing this (possibly) tomorrow.

Still dunno about taking the Hemi and Ram head badge off.

Thanks for the help Chewy. I can't wait to see pics of your truck. The build sheet Los awesome! I almost got white... I wanted blue and they had ONE like I wanted. Had to have the 8.4, full console and better seats (not a fan of leather ).

I'm looking into doing the remote start trick on RamForum. It's like $400 at my dealer installed. $80 the other way. Rear cam is no-go if you don't have it factory installed. Dealer won't do it.

I removed this ugly pos: (stock photo, not my car)

4644760332_large.jpg

and replaced it with this that I cut on my vinyl cutter:

031711092712.jpg

Luckily for me, those were the only badges on the whole car.

Well, the main ingredient in our paint on the car is urethane or lacquer... But I'm not putting that on my vehicle.

Never really messed with naphtha. I've been a professional painter since 1989. I've messed with m.e.k., use mineral spirits all the time, denatured is my go-to cleaner/deglosser for doors and cabinets and Xylene is my secret weapon for fixing someone else's bad work.

Is naphtha a 'hot' chemical?

I'm doing this (possibly) tomorrow.

Still dunno about taking the Hemi and Ram head badge off.

Thanks for the help Chewy. I can't wait to see pics of your truck. The build sheet Los awesome! I almost got white... I wanted blue and they had ONE like I wanted. Had to have the 8.4, full console and better seats (not a fan of leather ).

I'm looking into doing the remote start trick on RamForum. It's like $400 at my dealer installed. $80 the other way. Rear cam is no-go if you don't have it factory installed. Dealer won't do it.

I believe someone added a camera on their 2013. Check the RAM forum.

The rear RAM head is inset and pinned so don't remove it. Many black it out with Plasti-Dip.

I can look to see what the main ingredient is on the 3M. I know it doesn't mess around though. I let it soak and then they usually peel right off.

I can't wait to sit in my truck, let a lone ride in it. I sat in a LongHorn at the local car show and LOVED it. Of course I did that AFTER ordering it. Otherwise, I've not been in one.

I could go with or without leather, but with kids, it's nice to have. Just wipe off and move on...

Chris

Edited by Chewy

I did my rear tailgate emblems a few weeks ago. All I needed was some fishing line, a heat gun and a 3M eraser wheel. The whole process was very simple and maybe took about 45 min to an hour.

4e3ababa.jpg

y4abyqa5.jpg

sumyhapy.jpg

enahe4a7.jpg

ga5etu8u.jpg

Yesterday I went ahead and removed the side molding. Again a simple process however it required a different approach from the rear. After heating up the moldings with a heat gun and removing the molding with the fishing line I found that the remaining black residue/adhesive wasn't coming off as well with the 3M eraser wheel on my drill. Not sure why it was being so stubborn compared to other demoldings I've done. The truck is only a 2011 with 27k miles.

So I found the easiest way was to keep heating the residue with the heat gun while I rubbed the adhesive off with my fingers while wearing some work gloves. A little tedious at first but as I got my method down it was much quicker for me than what the eraser wheel was doing.

Followed up with a wipe down with Waterless Wash then some clay. From there I busted the Rupes for a quick little polish. I didn't go too crazy since I'm correcting everything tomorrow.

ba9aqu5y.jpg

qa9ezyju.jpg

3umu9yhe.jpg