Customer Service 866.965.0400

HOW TO: Debadge a vehicle

Team Adam's

Guest Gone & Forgotten

1. In the driveway, before i touched it.

2. De-badged and took the vinyl off the B pillars.

3. Close-up of the B-pillars without the black matte vinyl.

I dont know if this has been mentioned before but be careful if you use the 3M Adhesive Remover.

When I debadged my Tahoe I accidentally got some of it on my taillights and they turned white, and I used the 4" focus pads to try to remove it, but it never came completely out.

So if you are using the adhesive removed around plastic parts like tailights, make sure to tape them off so you do not get any over spray on them.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought one of the generic (non 3M) erasers on Amazon to do my RAM when I get it. I went to install my summer wheels and forgot that I needed to remove the old factory sticky from them which was leftover from when I had the new tires installed. I whipped out that bad boy, put it on my cordless drill and BAM! It took probably 15-20 seconds per area and there was NO trace of them. LOVE IT!!

It's made by AES and IS made in the USA!!!

Maybe Adams needs to sell this brand! It's half the cost of the 3M ones I saw.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00488DDB8/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]AES Industries 4" Smart Eraser Pad with Drill Adaptor Arbor [Made In USA] : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

I bought one of the generic (non 3M) erasers on Amazon to do my RAM when I get it. I went to install my summer wheels and forgot that I needed to remove the old factory sticky from them which was leftover from when I had the new tires installed. I whipped out that bad boy, put it on my cordless drill and BAM! It took probably 15-20 seconds per area and there was NO trace of them. LOVE IT!!

AES Industries 4" Smart Eraser Pad with Drill Adaptor Arbor [Made In USA] : Amazon.com : Automotive

I have the same one and it works well. :cheers:

• 2 months later...

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00488DDB8/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]

Sorry....not used to this new forum, and haven't been online for awhile, so I screwed this reply up....

I'm going to bump this thread.

Thanks Chris.  Just washed my neglected truck tonight, and noticed all the gunk/grime around all the "SIERRA" badges on the doors and tailgate.  That stuff is going soon, with my Cyclo and used Flex on the way the truck is going to get some much needed attention.  I ordered up one of the AES eraser wheels.

Edited by Nick@Adams

Ok... That Eraser Wheel video scared the crap outta me!  I was cringing to see the after-effects on the paint.  But, of course Dylan is a BOSS, so there was no issue.  If that we me.... Well, let's just say I'm not using that.....

My son debadged the WRX with dental floss instead of fishing line.  It worked great.

I keep going back and forth about whether or not to debadge the "Camaro" above the Hot Wheels badge on each side.  I actually had the heat gun in my hand at one point, but changed my mind.  

If your only taking of letters or emblems, you don't even really need the eraser wheel. Take them off with some fishing line, then just warm up the residue with a heat gun or hair dryer and then use your thumb or index finger to rub the residue off. Then use some Goof Off or 3M Adhesive remover to wipe away anything left and then apply some polish and wax once it's all off and clean.

• 3 weeks later...

I figured I would post up my latest de-badging/de-molding experience, and show you guys what could go wrong.

You could de-badge one of your moldings and find bubbling paint underneath it. My body guy says it looks like the door was repainted, but done very poorly

IMG_20130630_125131_256_zps8201c18f.jpg

Or you may remove some molding and find a huge dent underneath

IMG_20130705_175914_822_zps5757e1d0.jpg

Or you may screw it up somehow even though you have done it a bunch of times before on other vehicles, and scratch the crap out of your paint:

IMG_20130705_175921_134_zps493f71d2.jpg

I have officially decided my days of de-badging are over! IDK what the heck happened I somehow scratched the paint using the same exact techniques i have used many times before. 

So now I have 4 doors that need to be fixed. I can either have them re-painted which will be expensive, or I can fix the dent and rhino line the bottom part of my truck