Customer Service 866.965.0400

Hard water spots and Filters???????

crowvet

Question

Ok, this is what I am trying to figure out... I have hard water and it will spot my car badly if not dried. This normally would not be a problem, because I always dry my cars. However, My Corvette has been finished for 6 years now, and a lot of dust has collected on the frame and undercarriage.I have made my drive on lift portable, and I want to roll it outside and pressure wash my undercarriage with my pressure washer. I know when it drys it will leave white water spots all over. I do have a Master Blaster, but don't think that is enough. I want to run the water going into my pressure washer through a filter or softener. I don't want to break the bank. Do any of you use a portable filter or softener that threads onto a garden hose???? Ideas? Suggestions?:patriot:

13 answers to this question

The small picture looks like you have an awesome mid-year! Congrats!

You will need a water softener (an ion exchange system) or a de-ionizer. Some companies use the terms inerchangeably but that's like calling a polish a wax. A softener, while not perfect for your use, will help considerably and is generally less expensive to purchase and to operate.

If you google inline water softeners, you can purchase a medium sized system for approximaely $300. The resin inside most of the inline softeners can be changed out when the system is "exhausted".

Most Sears stores carry entire home water softening systems at fairly reasonable prices. An entire home softener is "regenerated" with sodium from dumping salt in the "brine" tank.

If you purchase an entiree home system from a water treatment dealer, you will end up with comparable equipment but could end up paying a fairly substantial profit margin / sales commission. If you end up with an entire home system, you will want to make sure you don't use the softened water to irrigate grass, flowers or trees / shrubs. The sodium will damage the plants. Most folks with an entire home softener don't want to drink the softened water either.

Let me know if you have add'l questions. I have been in a water related business for 30 years.

The small picture looks like you have an awesome mid-year! Congrats!

You will need a water softener (an ion exchange system) or a de-ionizer. Some companies use the terms inerchangeably but that's like calling a polish a wax. A softener, while not perfect for your use, will help considerably and is generally less expensive to purchase and to operate.

If you google inline water softeners, you can purchase a medium sized system for approximaely $300. The resin inside most of the inline softeners can be changed out when the system is "exhausted".

Most Sears stores carry entire home water softening systems at fairly reasonable prices. An entire home softener is "regenerated" with sodium from dumping salt in the "brine" tank.

Thanks Mike, Do you know of something that would just soften the water on my car wash station? I am really not wanting to do the whole house.. I see some that mount and have a in and out for the hose. Do they work?

If you purchase an entiree home system from a water treatment dealer, you will end up with comparable equipment but could end up paying a fairly substantial profit margin / sales commission. If you end up with an entire home system, you will want to make sure you don't use the softened water to irrigate grass, flowers or trees / shrubs. The sodium will damage the plants. Most folks with an entire home softener don't want to drink the softened water either.

Let me know if you have add'l questions. I have been in a water related business for 30 years.

Thanks Mike, I am really just looking to treat just the water at my car wash station. I see some that mount on the wall. Are they any good?

I have a 2-stage filter system in line on my garden hose. It's manufactured by Culligan, but marketed and sold by someone else. The first one is a sediment filter and the second is just a softener, no de-ionizing or anything fancy. Although it does not eliminate water spots that dry on the car, I found that it greatly reduces them both in quantity and water spot size. They used to be 1/4" in diameter average, now when I tested it with the filters on half my windshield (I still couldn't bring myself to sun dry the entire car) the spots were very small and more spread apart, small like the dots you would make with the tip of a sharpie pen on paper.

Although this doesn't prevent spots altogether like an de-ionizing system would, it cost less than $100.

I think that water spots aren't that huge of a problem if you're going to do the undercarriage cleaning just this one time, or even once in a blue moon. The reason I say that is because with a couple solid layers of wax or sealant on your paint, water spots will not be a problem being wiped off with Detail Spray and a DoubleSoft :) Just top off your car with a fresh coat of whatever you like before you do the spraying under the car.

Edited by DaytonaJae

I have a 2-stage filter system in line on my garden hose. It's manufactured by Culligan, but marketed and sold by someone else. The first one is a sediment filter and the second is just a softener, no de-ionizing or anything fancy. Although it does not eliminate water spots that dry on the car, I found that it greatly reduces them both in quantity and water spot size. They used to be 1/4" in diameter average, now when I tested it with the filters on half my windshield (I still couldn't bring myself to sun dry the entire car) the spots were very small and more spread apart, small like the dots you would make with the tip of a sharpie pen on paper.

Although this doesn't prevent spots altogether like an de-ionizing system would, it cost less than $100.

I think that water spots aren't that huge of a problem if you're going to do the undercarriage cleaning just this one time, or even once in a blue moon. The reason I say that is because with a couple solid layers of wax or sealant on your paint, water spots will not be a problem being wiped off with Detail Spray and a DoubleSoft :) Just top off your car with a fresh coat of whatever you like before you do the spraying under the car.

Thanks Jae, This is what I am looking for a system to just thread onto the hose..... Ok, you guys will think I am nuts, but just to clarify, it is the frame and underside of the car that I cannot get to to dry that I am concerned about. My wife said isn't that a bit crazy? Well no, The car is all powder coated frame and was a frame off restoration. I want to keep it looking new.

Daryle - do we think you're nuts? Heck no we don't, but those of us on this forum have extra special intelligence on such matters. :D

A buddy of mine who lives in a natuarlly soft water area didn't understand the need for a water softener in our home. Until he came to visit and stayed at a friend's place who doesn't have a softener. His wife couldn't believe how the water "ruined" her hair after just one shower.

I can guarantee you if I had a mid-year like yours, I would be doing the same thing as you are attempting.

I passed on buying a '66 Coupe a couple of years ago that had been all re-done. The suspension was powder coated in different colors and looked "almost too good to drive". At that point in time, I wanted a driver so I picked up my '06. :cheers:

Well, I did the under cleaning today and thought you all would enjoy some pictures. I moved my lift out side and used the pressure washer to clean the underside. Then I blew it all dry with the master Blaster, that thing is an animal. I then cleaned the outside. Then put the lift back in the shop and now the car is back home on its lift.

P1020376.jpgP1020377.jpgP1020380.jpgP1020382.jpgP1020384.jpgP1020385.jpgP1020387.jpg