Customer Service 866.965.0400

Canon t3i or Nikon d5100?

Justin@SwanCreek

I've been looking into upgrading to a dslr for some time now... I currently have an Olympus pen epl1, and it's just not cutting it for me anymore. The differences I know of are that the Nikon shoots a little faster and has an easier layout for controls. So my question are, which one has better dependably? Which has the best overall picture quality for still shooting? Any help would be great, thanks in advance!

If there are not any technical features that you need or want on either camera then I would recommend that you go to a store and try each camera. See which camera feels better to you, which user interface makes more sense to you, which camera allows you to take a picture more quickly. If a user interface is not intuitive to you might miss good shots because you are focused on the camera and not the subject.

:cheers:

I agree with Dave. Because neither one is head and shoulders better than the other it really boils down to the UI. I was used to a Canon point and shoot, so the transition was smooth for me to my T3. Since you are not upgrading within the brand so to speak, you are just going to have to play around with both and see which one feels more intuitive to you. Granted, there are some things that one may do a little better than the other. But all in all, anyone that says that they can tell a precipitous difference in picture quality between the two is lying in my opinion.

Whichever one you pick though you'll be stuck with that brand for all future upgrades, unless you want to replace all lenses too. Usually it's the lenses that make the difference in photo quality, and the bodies are just a matter of features. For what it's worth I have the D5100 and love it, but it's the only DSLR I've used so I can't say if it's better or worse than the Cannon.

Something else to consider is thinking about what brand your close friends/family are shooting with. It's nice to be able to borrow lenses from them to try out before you go spending $$$ on good glass.

Wish I would have done this as all my friends shoot Nikon, so I'm on my own as far as trying/buying lenses go.

I've had both Nikon and Canon DSLR systems. Like others have said, if you have no brand preference, then go to the store and try both out and see which one fits your hand and style better. I currently have a D7000 which has been great to me.

As far as lenses go, I always found that the canon used market is much better than the nikon. Also with a canon set up you have the choice of buying an adapter plate that will make most nikon lenses compatible with your canon DSLR.

I recently upgraded to a Nikon D5100 after my son left my Nikon D60 on the back bumper of my Denail....yup, it rolled off under acceleration.:help:

Fortunately for him he know owns the D60 which after tumbling off my bumper it survived with minimal damage.

But going back to your question, I love my Nikon D5100, it shoots awesome photos as you were able to see in the detail that Dylan and myself did to my clients Lamborghini Aventador. I do admit to using my Samsung Galaxy 2 often also, its just so practical and it takes awesome pics for a phone.

You won't be disappointed with either. Both take outstanding pictures and have more features then you'll probally ever use. Go an try them out for yourself... It's really going to come down to which interface you like best.

Don't rule out the higher end point-n-shoot cameras like the Canon G12. It's smaller so you're more likely to carry around with you, yet it still takes great shots. I find that I take alot more wide angle shots so my point-n-shoot usually serves my needs. There are times when you'll want/need a longer lense though.

Edited by rshadd

Wow thanks for all the responses guys... I guess I've really got to go and have a hands on with each camera to see which one I prefer. Just one more question though... Will the difference in mp from either camera impact the image quality? Or is it so minuet that I wouldnt be able to notice it? Thanks again guys!

Wow thanks for all the responses guys... I guess I've really got to go and have a hands on with each camera to see which one I prefer. Just one more question though... Will the difference in mp from either camera impact the image quality? Or is it so minuet that I wouldnt be able to notice it? Thanks again guys!

The differences in MP between these two cameras aren't going to have noticeable impact on the photo quality. MP is easy to compare but there are many other items (not as easy to compare) that will impact photo quality in a more noticeable way. The sensor and software behind the sensor will impact what you really see in an image more than the MP count will impact that.

Once again, agreed. It was also mentioned in here by someone else but it bears repeating: your camera body doesn't nearly make as much of an impact as your lenses do. With good glass, an "entry-level" DSLR can achieve some incredible shots.

Once again, agreed. It was also mentioned in here by someone else but it bears repeating: your camera body doesn't nearly make as much of an impact as your lenses do. With good glass, an "entry-level" DSLR can achieve some incredible shots.

Totally agree that the optics are the first thing that should be considered for true pro quality work. When someone is first starting out though, I have found that recommending that a new camera person start by looking at the lens can be overwhelming... they probably won't be able to tell the difference between two lens of the same optic length or type, though they may be overwhelmed with the choices and how we can easily spend multiple times more on the lenses than the body costs. :help:

Oops, I re-read that and see where you are coming from. I meant that post to help illustrate that the difference in similar DSLRs at a certain price point is awfully thin. Especially with the body features and kit lens.

Oops, I re-read that and see where you are coming from. I meant that post to help illustrate that the difference in similar DSLRs at a certain price point is awfully thin. Especially with the body features and kit lens.

Agreed!

Thanks for all the input guys! It really helps... I am going to be going to best buy shortly to play around with both cameras to see which one I prefer. I assume the hands on feel of the camera plays the biggest part in the what camera I'll will like. So hopefully there will be a big difference between the two and it will help to eliminate one of the two. Thanks again guys!

Thanks for all the input guys! It really helps... I am going to be going to best buy shortly to play around with both cameras to see which one I prefer. I assume the hands on feel of the camera plays the biggest part in the what camera I'll will like. So hopefully there will be a big difference between the two and it will help to eliminate one of the two. Thanks again guys!

Most of the spec's are going to be the close to the same. Comes down to Lense's and feel. How it feels in your hand is going to be the biggest seller, or it was for me honestly.

Another thing you should look for is if the camera has stabilization built into the body or built into the lense.

Either way let us know what you get! :thumbsup:

Well I went to the store thinking I was going to buy the Nikon d5100 over the Canon t3i... But once I got both cameras in my hand, I instantly hated the feel of the Nikon. The biggest difference was that my pinky didn't have room on the Nikon, so it had to rest on the bottom of the camera. With feel aside, I also was not a big fan of how the user interface was laid out on the Nikon. It felt as though I had to press a ton of buttons just to change a simple setting. The Canon on the other hand had more then enough room for my pinky, and the user interface seemed to be a little quicker in changing settings. So after a while of playing around with both cameras, I decided the Canon t3i was better suited for me. Thanks for all the help guys!

Well I went to the store thinking I was going to buy the Nikon d5100 over the Canon t3i... But once I got both cameras in my hand, I instantly hated the feel of the Nikon. The biggest difference was that my pinky didn't have room on the Nikon, so it had to rest on the bottom of the camera. With feel aside, I also was not a big fan of how the user interface was laid out on the Nikon. It felt as though I had to press a ton of buttons just to change a simple setting. The Canon on the other hand had more then enough room for my pinky, and the user interface seemed to be a little quicker in changing settings. So after a while of playing around with both cameras, I decided the Canon t3i was better suited for me. Thanks for all the help guys!

:thumbsup:

Glad you like it and that you were able to get a feel for each of them before making your purchase! We love our Canon for some of the same reasons you mentioned above.