Customer Service 866.965.0400

FAQ - "What kind of tape should I use to mask off trim?"

12 hours ago, SgtLip said:

No pictures and web links in main article do not work.

The 3M #03131(3/4") Performance Masking tape is a great all around detailing tape, and is available in most auto parts stores.  Most high quality tapes can be re-used during a detail, saving a little money - e.g. tape window trim on one side, polish, move tape to other side. 

If you want something more like the old Adam's tape check out Fine Line tape or the 3M #06526/06529 Precision Masking tape.

I keep 1/4", 1/2", 3/4", and 1 1/2" tape on hand., but use mostly 3/4".     

For headlights I use 3M blue painters.  It's a little cheaper, and I go thru a lot when I wetsand.   

1 hour ago, mc2hill said:

The 3M #03131(3/4") Performance Masking tape is a great all around detailing tape, and is available in most auto parts stores.  Most high quality tapes can be re-used during a detail, saving a little money - e.g. tape window trim on one side, polish, move tape to other side. 

If you want something more like the old Adam's tape check out Fine Line tape or the 3M #06526/06529 Precision Masking tape.

I keep 1/4", 1/2", 3/4", and 1 1/2" tape on hand., but use mostly 3/4".     

For headlights I use 3M blue painters.  It's a little cheaper, and I go thru a lot when I wetsand.   

Thanks, good info here. I've booked marked this one.

I wasn't looking for the Adam's tape specifically, I saw the link and wanted to check it out. That was when I noticed the pictures were gone and NONE of the links work in the body of the learning paper.

You would think they could update the FAQ by removing the place holders for the pictures and either update or remove the links since they  no longer work.

I used the 3m blue painters tape for headlights as well when I sanded and polished them back to brilliance. It worked pretty good for the most part.

The only reason I even looked at this FAQ thread was I have chrome (plastic) embedded in my black trim moldings. I hate chrome! I was at a detailer supply store (prior to learning about Adam's Polishes) and purchased a can of black trim spray paint. I am planning on trying to tape it all up and give it a shot of the trim paint and see how it covers the chrome. It's not plasti-dip paint so I'm hoping it works long term. 

Thanks again for the info.