Customer Service 866.965.0400

Craftsman Tools No Longer Made in the USA

JayBee86

So I have a Craftsman tool chest in my garage that I have been proud of every time I open a drawer seeing Made in the USA or Forged in the USA on all the Craftsman hand tools. So this past Black Friday I seen in the Sears ad they had a door buster deal on a Craftsman 26pc. combination wrench set for $39.99 usually $74.99, so I picked one up. Today I had some time to go through the wrenches and put them away in the tool chest. As I was doing that I noticed something different with the engraving on them so I grabbed an existing wrench and right away I noticed the new wrenches said no where on them about USA, the old ones said right on them Forged in the USA. I then looked on the plastic case they came in and on the back sticker there were the evil words Made in China. I know in the past a lot of the plastic cases would say Case Made in China, Tools Made in the USA. I am very disappointed that Sears/Craftsman has decided to go this route. I am really leaning to returning the set just because of that reason. They still say lifetime warranty on them.

So Im just wondering what you guys think of this happening and if I should return them to Sears? I do know know that Craftsman wont be my first choice for tools now. What brand of tools would you guys recommend that are still made in the USA and are at a decent price?

I've noticed that some Craftsman tools are still made in the USA and other's aren't -- you have to read the packaging. I'm only buying the made in the USA ones, and every time I do I mention to the sales guy that I won't ever buy the imported ones. Maybe that will filter up to management, but who knows.

That's sad. I shouldn't have to spring for Snap-On to get quality hand tools. I will definitely check for the origin sticker on Craftsman from now on.

Edited by Redbeard
apparently Mac has incorporated some non-USA tools into their lineup

I am to the point in my tool collection now, that if I need a new wrench/pliers, I seek out the Made in the USA tool. Like my polish and wax, I will pay a little bit more for USA made quality.

Mook

Me too. Like they say, you'll never regret buying good tools. The way I see it now, any tool I buy I'm going to have for the rest of my life. So it might as well be a good one. :2thumbs:

There are plenty of threads on garage journal about the slow switch to overseas. It started with the gimmick tools from a few years ago, then the impact sockets, then the extensions and adapters, then the garbage ratchets they make, and now the wrenches.

I picked up a bunch of old stock "USA made" Craftsman tools at my local Sears Outlet store recently in order to complete some of my sets.

Right now the Craftsman Industrial (discontinued) hand tools are 60% off. The industrial line is fully polished and th chrome is real nice. Granted any tool that might need to be replaced under warranty will be "made in China", but I don't abuse my tools and rarely break them.

It's getting harder and harder to find quality USA made tools these days.

Edited by rshadd

Knipex is quality stuff. They are worth it. Besides I can buy from Germany.

Some of the Craftsman tools are still made in the USA. However They are made by APEX tool group who is currently outsourcing more and more of their production. From what I have seen it is more of a APEX decision saying they cannot afford to build in the USA.

However APEX was just acquired by Bain Capital so we shall see what happens. I bet the offshore trend will continue.

The made in USA tools are completely made in the USA. Our steel mils run in the US with material purchased from the US!

Edited by whiterp199

Some of Craftsman tool (sockets for sure) have gone down hill a long time ago. Last time I bought one, I had a hard time finding one where the wall thickness was equal around the whole thing. I've been finding better sockets at Lowes.

They started going down years ago.

• 3 weeks later...
I am anti-china and pro USA !!! However knipex makes the best water pump pliers and wiha make a good screw driver both made in Germany.

Amen to that!

I just got a pair of Knipex locking pliers (aka Vice Grips) for Christmas and man are they nice! I searched long and far for a USA made pair of Vice Grips, but they're all either made in China or Taiwan now :(

knipex-4114250.jpg

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Knipex-4114250-Universal-Locking-10-Inch/dp/B003UHUCAS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356587652&sr=8-1&keywords=knipex+4114250]Amazon.com: Knipex 4114250 Universal Jaw Locking Pliers 10-Inch: Home Improvement[/ame]

I also got a bunch of Channellock tools, all of which are still MADE IN USA, but they don't make vice grip pliers, so I went with Knipex. I'm slowly filtering out all MADE IN CHINA tools out of my tool box (shooting for all MADE IN USA or MADE IN GERMANY), even little things like needle nose pliers. Knipex is high quality, I can attest to that.

I just ordered myself these bad boys and they'll be here Friday, cannot wait!

*These are just like the Channellock tongue and groove pliers, but they don't have teeth, so they won't scratch delicate surfaces like chrome nuts.

knipex-8605250(800x212).jpg

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Knipex-8605250-10-Inch-Pliers-Wrench/dp/B000X4J2EI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1356587357&sr=8-3&keywords=knipex+10+pliers]Knipex 8605250 10-Inch Pliers Wrench - Comfort Grip - Amazon.com[/ame]

Also got a set of Wiha Torx tamper resistant bits. Been looking for a long time for a quality set of these, as every single set I've seen, be it Harbor Freight or other places always has the holes mis-centered. These Wiha bits are drilled dead center.

61BQ9f-SFyL._AA1000_.jpg

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Wiha-74987-Security-T7-T40-10-Piece/dp/B00313K0V2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356587539&sr=8-1&keywords=wiha+74987]Amazon.com: Wiha 74987 Power Bit Belt Pack with Security Torx Bits T7-T40, 10-Piece: Home Improvement[/ame]

Another one to check into for an alternative for Crapsman sockets and some other tools are Armstrong Industrial Hand Tools. My dad just told me about them last night.

I will say this, all of the Snap On tools that I have used have always impressed me and quality hasn't ever been an issue.

To those who have a nice quality set of sockets, what's a good AMERICAN made set to get.

Snap On has been mentioned, but I was under the impression only a certain portion of their line is American made. Just like New Balance, both China and USA made.

I'm looking for a quality set of metric and SAE sockets, I'd like them to have the laser etching on the socket itself. I've seen them before on Powerblock on Spike TV. They use these on Horsepower TV and Trucks and so forth.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. I've looked on Snap On's website and it's like a library, tons of choices and I don't know where to begin.

Thanks-

I use a Armstrong and Proto sockets. Craftsman standard line chrome sockets are still made in USA for now. All their new two tone black and silver sockets and the sockets that come with the pass through socket set they have out are not however.

All of Snap-On's sockets are made in USA with the exception of the BluePoint tool group. Those are made in Taiwan.

I use a Armstrong and Proto sockets. Craftsman standard line chrome sockets are still made in USA for now. All their new two tone black and silver sockets and the sockets that come with the pass through socket set they have out are not however.

All of Snap-On's sockets are made in USA with the exception of the BluePoint tool group. Those are made in Taiwan.

Thanks for the input, I'm particularly looking for a set of chrome Metric & SAE 3/8" drive sockets with laser etched numbers on them, preferably with orange/red/blue paint so they're easy to read. I want the numbers painted instead of stickers, so they'll last and be easy to read.

I'm not sure what tools they use on Horsepower and Trucks, I believe Matco is their sponsor, but not sure if they're made in USA? I remember seeing some sockets that were chrome with orange enamel paint for the size, looked real sharp.

Matco, Armstrong, KD, Gearwrench, Crescent, and Allen Tools are all owned by Apex Tool Group (formerly Danaher Tools). Apex also has the contract to make a majority of the hand tools for Craftsman with the exception of their standard clear plastic handled screw drivers which are made by Western Forge. Their standard line of black handeled pliers are also made by Western Forge.

Of those brands, Armstrong makes just about every single thing in the US and I've come across. They have exactly what you are looking for as I have one of their 3/8th sets and a 1/4 sets and they have both standard and metric and are both laser etched with the sizes on the sockets.

There is some speculation that the Armstrong factory makes the standard line sockets for Craftsman as Apex supplies the sockets to Craftsman and Armstrong is all USA. It would explain why as of now the only thing left made in the USA on Craftsman's line up is their standard chrome sockets.

Of all the brands that Apex owns, Armstrong is still made here at home. Mainly because when the Armstrong Brothers sold Danaher (at the time) a majority share of the company they had the contract drawn up that the jobs and tool production bearing their name stay in the USA. At least that's what I've heard through the grapevine.

Matco is confusing to figure out where stuff is still made. A lot of their tools now are rebranded Gearwrench items and they are still charging truck tool prices for a cheaper product. But then they have a lot of stuff still made here but it's getting harder to find.