Customer Service 866.965.0400

Craftsman Tools No Longer Made in the USA

JayBee86

Matco, Armstrong, KD, Gearwrench, Crescent, and Allen Tools are all owned by Apex Tool Group (formerly Danaher Tools). Apex also has the contract to make a majority of the hand tools for Craftsman with the exception of their standard clear plastic handled screw drivers which are made by Western Forge. Their standard line of black handeled pliers are also made by Western Forge.

Of those brands, Armstrong makes just about every single thing in the US and I've come across. They have exactly what you are looking for as I have one of their 3/8th sets and a 1/4 sets and they have both standard and metric and are both laser etched with the sizes on the sockets.

There is some speculation that the Armstrong factory makes the standard line sockets for Craftsman as Apex supplies the sockets to Craftsman and Armstrong is all USA. It would explain why as of now the only thing left made in the USA on Craftsman's line up is their standard chrome sockets.

Of all the brands that Apex owns, Armstrong is still made here at home. Mainly because when the Armstrong Brothers sold Danaher (at the time) a majority share of the company they had the contract drawn up that the jobs and tool production bearing their name stay in the USA. At least that's what I've heard through the grapevine.

Matco is confusing to figure out where stuff is still made. A lot of their tools now are rebranded Gearwrench items and they are still charging truck tool prices for a cheaper product. But then they have a lot of stuff still made here but it's getting harder to find.

Excellent explanation!

Very informative.

What would you recommend for a great starter set of sockets? Links would be appreciated :D

I don't work on engines, just looking for a nice set of sockets for stuff like door panels, interior components, and other every day items.

I'm currently using a set of Metrinch sockets and while I love them, I'd like to get a nice quality MADE IN USA set of sockets with easy to read sizes on them.

You can't go wrong with the two sets of Armstrong that I've got. I'll PM you two links to a site where you can get them. I got mine off of Ebay two years ago before I could find a dealer online that sold them. Since then I've found them at one of my favorite tool sites.

You can't go wrong with the two sets of Armstrong that I've got. I'll PM you two links to a site where you can get them. I got mine off of Ebay two years ago before I could find a dealer online that sold them. Since then I've found them at one of my favorite tool sites.

Thanks

BTW you are about to set off on a path of a new addiction. First it starts off with a "Starter" set, soon your wife or girlfriend is giving you the evil eye as new tools start showing up via UPS, FedEx and USPS. Then it gets even worse with that first combo tool chest to hold them in.:jester:

BTW you are about to set off on a path of a new addiction. First it starts off with a "Starter" set, soon your wife or girlfriend is giving you the evil eye as new tools start showing up via UPS, FedEx and USPS. Then it gets even worse with that first combo tool chest to hold them in.:jester:

:lol:

Yeah I'e always wanted to get a nice tool chest on wheels, of course MADE IN USA, but they're super expensive from what I've researched, in the thousands.

I got a nice waterploo magnum tool chest , with mixed snap on, craftsmen, Mac tools and a few others. I mostly have the black impact hardened sockets because I work on heavy at&t trucks all day. Even impact 1/4 inch sockets haha

• 1 month later...

Very disappointed when I heard of this, always used my dads 22 year old craftsman tool set and never had a problem, i first, cringed when I got a new mechanics set from craftsman for Christmas. It says the tools are made in the USA but I'm pretty sure the toolbox isn't

• 4 months later...

The same thing has happened to us in Australia....our home grown tool company got sold and production got moved to China.

Now ...I'm biased towards Snap On.......because I sell them.....and I enjoy converting my customers from old favourites to quality

" Made in the USA" tools

• 1 month later...

LOVE a GREAT tool. It will earn it's keep far quicker than you'll ever need another tool just like it.

My wife is always complaining about the amount of tools and detailing products I have.  But she sure likes it when she has a clean car and doesn't have to have someone else fix it.  Same goes around the house.  Middle of the night water heater plumber would be me, so that she could have a hot shower in the morning. 

There are still many sources for USA made tools in the US.

You have Proto, Snap-on, Matco, Cornwell, Wright, SK, Enderes, Wilde, Williams etc.

As a former Snap-on rep, I've come to know what a quality tool is. There are a few awesome online retailers that I buy odd ball stuff from. But hands down my favourite web store besides Adams right now is Harry J. Epstein in KS. It is an old mom and pop B&M store. I believe it is 3rd generation owned right now. Country of Origin is clearly marked on every item on their web store. Take a look around their site. You would be amazed how many tools are still made in the USA by little known brands. Epstein is definitely a hidden jewel.

I wasn't 100% sure how the moderators would respond to adding links. So I chose to play safe and leave it off. Read their daily dispatch, and take a look at their box art. They do some pretty crazy stuff.

I wasn't 100% sure how the moderators would respond to adding links. So I chose to play safe and leave it off. Read their daily dispatch, and take a look at their box art. They do some pretty crazy stuff.

As long as the website isn't direct competition with their detailing products they don't have any problems with sharing links.

• 6 years later...

My Grandfather , Dad , My self and my son All  used craftsman tools . I personally have used them for over fifty years . I think they changed in the 1990,s from Craftsman USA to Crapsman who cares where their made now it,s not USA Quality . I have spent over 50,000.00 on tools over my life . they are what I made my living with . I bought craftsman because of their price and reliability and the life time no question Gaurenteed.for Life . I could have bought any brand but chose craftsman . It is sad but profits out weigh production cost and liability . I guess  That,s Just the the way things are from now on built cheap as hell and charge more for Junk .