Customer Service 866.965.0400

New Car Smell..How to keep it?!?

dkagolf

Question

Hello... I'm Donnie, this is my first post, on any forum ever!! Haha.. Does anyone know of a product that can keep a new car smelling new? I don't smoke (or allow smoking)... I do have to eat in my "first new car ever" sometimes though, but get rid of the trash asap.. It's maintaining the "new car smell so far".. From 7/13/12 to 11/29/12... But just wondering if anyone knows of an aerosol or whatever really, that would help me with this goal.. Thanks a ton in advance!! -Donnie

11 answers to this question

Honestly, as good as that smell is... I wouldn't want to keep it.

That being said this is my reason why. The smell is from chemicals used during the process of making the seats and plastics of the car. Being a Firefighter & HAZMAT Technician we have a saying, "If you can smell it, you are in it", which is true.

Just my $0.02. I like my truck smelling like Adam's Leather Conditioner. Smells amazing.

What Jason and Chris stated.

Adams Leather Conditioner smells better than the new car scent IMO.

Just keep your interior clean .. and do not let anyone fart in it and you will be golden! :lol: j/k :D

My G8 is going to be 4 years old .. I keep the interior clean and my leather seats are always cleaned and conditioned with Adams. People tell me all the time that my interior smells brand new. I also maintain my wife's car the same way and she loves the smell.

Did I mention I garage it for the winter so that helps.:2thumbs:

:welcomebanner:Donnie! :welcomebanner:

Congrats on the first new car, and your first post on Adams Forums! Some of that new smell will certainly fade away as materials age and you use the car. Sounds like you're doing the right things already. Just keep it as clean as possible, get rid of food containers as quickly as possible, and if carry items that may have odor - like your sweaty gym clothes, store in the trunk rather than in the cabin.

Like EVERYONE else has said......use the Leather Conditioner in your car. Use it on your dash because it has a high SPF factor and will help prevent sun damage like fading and drying out. I use it on my steering wheel, seats, dash, doors...........anything that has vinyl or leather. And the smell is really nice too. Plus it does clean while you're putting it on. One thing to note: if you apply one coat and you notice streaking or white areas, it doesn't mean the product isn't working. What's happening is that the fabric is absorbing the product at different rates. You may need to add a second or even a third coat to get a uniform finish.

But it 's one of Adam's best products out there, bar none.

:2thumbs:

Wow.. Thank you all for the great information/ responses... I believe I'm already going to be a forum addict, because after hearing about "million mile Joe" (google it if you'd like) putting a million miles on his Honda Accord, I'd like to do the same... I'll be 40 next Tuesday, and could tell you all some funny stories about driving (and depending on) used cares my whole life, but with the help of Adam's products, and the obvious vehicle maintenance that would go into driving one that far (since I enjoyed no car pmt), I'll definitely get on here more. I have yet to buy the Adam's Leather Conditioner, although it "feels like" I own every other product they make (and love them all), I'll definitely be ordering that one soon!! Much thanks.. have a great one!

WELCOME Donnie,

like others have said I guess that smell is not good for you but like you I feel the car is still new if I can smell it. the "off gassing" kept making a film on my inside glass for 3 months or so, after that everything sort of calmed down.

dirt stinks, so I keep things vacuumed out regularly and I vacuum up some carpet fresh to keep the exhaust on my vacuum from sinking up the car while I'm using it. my current car has leather so the leather cleaner keeps it smelling like new really. I park it in the garage with the windows rolled up, so I guess that helps too.

my daily driver is a chevy p/u with cloth interior and it stayed new smelling for a couple of years and when it started to go away I noticed an open pack of Juicy Fruit gum in the console sort of mimicked the new vehicle smell of a chevy.. so for a long time I kept Juicy Fruit Gum in the p/u and Bounce dryer sheet under the seat.. I had folks comment on "that new car smell" for 5-6 years... after 15 years and 180K miles, not so much anymore.

have fun.:D