Customer Service 866.965.0400

Plastic Sleeved Lug Nut Socket

MikeS

Question

Does anybody use plastic lined lug nut sockets to help protect wheels during removal? Or maybe it's just as easy to put a few wide rubber bands on a standard socket (check the broccoli or lobsters at the grocery store)...

I guess I could plasti-dip a regular socket as well. Hmmm, lots of ideas the more I think about it! None of them protect the lugs themselves though.

I'm debating on whether it's worth tracking down a purpose-made protective socket.

Any thoughts?

The only issue that I see is if you have a tight gap between the nut and the wheel itself which would prevent you from using a sleeve of any sort. I definitely would be interested in one, the idea of using a bare socket on my Volks send shivers down my spine!

The only issue that I see is if you have a tight gap between the nut and the wheel itself which would prevent you from using a sleeve of any sort. I definitely would be interested in one, the idea of using a bare socket on my Volks send shivers down my spine!

^^^This. I bought a set of them, very nice, however I can't use them on my wheels on the NastyGT500! LOL. Just look and see if you have enough room before buying them. They are somewhat 'thick'.

Oooo, nice. This thread is full of win. Scratching one of my wheels is what nightmares are made of.

Yeah Randy! I didn't want to scratch my paint up, so I got these, but the Gorillas all come locking with their own socket...I have to take it SO slow man!

Mook

OK, mine are nice because they're no larger than a normal socket. The socket is smaller than a normal one and then the plastic slides on making it the same size.

My winter wheels are so tight I can barely get the socket in them without the plastic installed. This is what you get when you go cheap on wheels. (JUNK)

Chris

Yeah Randy! I didn't want to scratch my paint up, so I got these, but the Gorillas all come locking with their own socket...I have to take it SO slow man!

Mook

Mook, do you have room between the outer wall of the socket and the recess on the wheel for a piece of heat shrink tubing over the outer wall of the socket? Either that or some vinyl wrapped around the outer wall will help minimize and damage.

Mook, do you have room between the outer wall of the socket and the recess on the wheel for a piece of heat shrink tubing over the outer wall of the socket? Either that or some vinyl wrapped around the outer wall will help minimize and damage.

It's not all that hard to exercise caution! The pain of it all is having TWO locks. Because I am six lug, I had to order an additional 4 lugs to complete the set, and well they have their own lock too.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the thoughts, all. Sounds like plenty of options to protect the wheel itself, but fewer options for the lug nuts themselves.

I may throw the HF lined sockets onto the Christmas wish list, although I'm always conflicted buying their stuff for various reasons...

Saran wrap may work, but you may need to double up on the layer. I wish I would of thought of that one too when I had my Civic and I had those Work lugnuts. I was super cautious with them, but you are still going to chew them up a little the first time you use a socket on them.

2-3 layers of blue tape on the inside of the socket to protect the lugs from excessive marring. Plus if you wad a ball of blu tape and stick in the center the sticky side will hold the lug nut from falling out. Plus it helps on wheels with a deep recess for the lugs.