Customer Service 866.965.0400

Rupes Big Foot LHR 21ES Random Orbital Polisher First Use

JBlack151

Question

Hey there fellow "Shine Freaks",

I recently purchased the new Italian made Rupes Bigfoot LHR21ES polisher and since then I've received numerous requests by others here to share a review on it.

For those of you that are not familiar with this new polisher making a name for itself quickly in the industry I will share some of the standard facts with you before going into my first experience. There are 2 machines in this category of Rupes polishers. The LHR15ES which has a smaller backing plate and component sizes. And the LHR21ES which will be discussed here.

General Description

The Rupes Big Foot LHR 21 ES is an electronic random orbital polisher with anti-spinning system. Suitable for all polishing operations, including

the removal of scratches and refinishing operations. It performs the same operations as traditional polishers, but it is easier to handle and delivers superior finishes.

BIGFOOT SYSTEM ADVANTAGES

- FASTER MACHINING OPERATIONS UP TO 40% TIME SAVING

The new Big Foot polisher is an amazing tool that enables you to obtain excellent results in no time. LESS steps, LESS time, LESS compound consumption and GREATER profits

- SUPERIOR FINISH

The goal of operators has always been achieving two results: gloss and color depth. In designing its polishers, RUPES has taken these requirements into account to allow operators to achieve unique and extraordinary results.

- NO SURFACE OVERHEATING

Superficial temperature must be kept within specific safety limits. The random orbital movement and technical features of new RUPES polishers maintain the superficial temperature within acceptable limits end

eliminate the risk of burning the clear coat.

- 40% ENERGY REDUCTION

Thanks to their design and technology, the new random orbital polishers by RUPES are more energy efficient as compared to traditional polishers.

- EASINESS OF USE

Polishing has always been considered an operation that requires experience and skill. Inexperience may in fact result in surfaces being damaged and in the exposure of edges and sharp corners. RUPES has eliminated these risks with its new random orbital polisher that enables even less experienced operators to achieve professional results.

- MAXIMUM CONTROL

RUPES polishers stand out because of their accuracy and easiness of use, which enable to obtain high quality results with less fatigue.

- LARGER CONTACT AREA

The new RUPES random orbital polishers enable to use the whole surface of the buffer. When using traditional rotary polishers , it is necessary to maintain the buffer inclined as compared to the work surface due to the high temperatures that develop on the machined panel, which reduces the useful surface of the buffer to 40 %.

Features:

- The random orbital movement reduces the overall polishing time

- The orbit up to 21 mm enables to quickly obtain gloss and colour depth

- The electronic feedback control maintains speed constant in all applications

- Soft Start guarantees an acceleration ramp to prevent accidental dispersion of compound unwanted

- The anti-spinning feature prevents the high speed rotations avoiding scratches

- New ergonomic front handle

- The 500 W RUPES motor reduces power consumption

- Polyurethane backup pad designed by RUPES

- The tool can be easily used even by unskilled operators

LHR21 ES

- 6" backing plate

- 21mm-diameter orbit

- 4,200 RPM/OPM

- The 21 mm orbit is suitable for all polishing operations on all types of surfaces: painted surfaces or recently painted surfaces and finishing applications

- Denibbing

- Holograms removing

Okay, did you guys take all of that in, or did you just skim right over that only allowing for some notes to catch your eye! Well have no fear, there will not be a pop quiz on any of those details.

Let me share some shots of this machine right out of the box along with some comparison shots to our other favorite machines.

DSC_0583_zps6c388bf0.jpg

DSC_0570_zps625c535c.jpg

DSC_0573_zps98b730df.jpg

DSC_0571_zps189ecab2.jpg

DSC_0577_zpsb9217729.jpg

DSC_0581_zps771184bb.jpg

DSC_0582_zpse9a96968.jpg

I'll start off with the vehicle to be the guinea pig. My 2006 Trailblazer SS. Since the truck is up for sale I figured with the random mild temps here in January to get out and give her a mid-winter correction. I will let you know I did not take many action pictures since it really is useless seeing a before and after and not really knowing the process it took to get there. So this is mainly all reading material for you.

After a quick wash with the always amazing Adam's Car Shapmoo and Kranzle pressure washer it was time to begin testing this fine Italian princess of a polisher.

2013-01-12_11-15-08_997.jpg

2013-01-12_13-49-34_88.jpg

PRICE

The price is steep at roughly $399 for the LHR21ES compared to the Flex, however with discount codes or promo codes the price can become an easier acceptance to some.

SIZE

The Rupes LHR21 is longer by an inch or so compared to the Flex, however it feels just right in your hands. The curved lip toward the top is perfect for your grip position on the top end of the machine.

Take note that the Rupes is a tighter fit into our favorite Adam's bag. I did make the zipper secure just fine with the PC, Flex and Rupes all together with various Adam's polishes bottles still inside.

SPEED SETTING AND TRIGGER

Like the Flex and Porter Cable the Rupes has a 1-6 speed setting for your various control of laying down whatever products you may be applying.

If you remember the facts from above there was mention of the "Soft Start" feature. This is a roughly 1 second delay after pulling the trigger that slowly powers up to the selected speed. At first this threw me off. I almost thought this machine had already crapped out on me. However after the 2nd or 3rd panel I was quickly used to it. Yes, a little annoying but so very minor overall.

Now on the Flex we all know and love the fact you can have that German beast on a higher speed setting and use the trigger slightly to lay down your product before pulling it up to full speed. The Rupes LHR21ES does not allow for this. To some of you this may be a big issue, however to myself I do not mind since we all lay down our product on the paint from the pads differently but that's just personnel preference.

And yes, the Rupes does have a trigger lock to keep your machine running full speed while allowing to remove your finger off the trigger.

OVERALL FEEL

After starting on my hood I then moved to the front fenders. By then I was getting a good feel of this machine in it's full power. It didn't feel like it was in full power compared to what the Flex feels like though, but it was doing what it's supposed to do with paint correction. I noticed some things during a speed 5 and 6 setting. The Rupes feels really smooth. It's almost like a gliding feeling as you lay down your product. And to understand what I am talking about think about where it is made....Italy. Now think about an Italian sports car. You get where I am going with this. It's a really nice feel in your hands.

Another thing I did like on the Rupes over the Flex is the hopping factor. If you have your technique right with the Flex you are fine, however we all know we've experience that hop or force of the Flex wanting to move on you. I never got that feeling out of the Rupes, but I realize this is only the first of many uses of this Italian princess. Sorry, I love calling it that for some reason! :D

Now let's get on to discussing the throw of this machine. Yes, the throw is a whole different thing on the Rupes compared to the Flex or the PC. When you force the backing plate around manually with your hand you can see what everyone is talking about. However when you actually are using the Rupes on the paint it doesn't feel like the throw is changing the way the machine operates in anyway. So don't let that be an issue of concern. But I would as always suggest to tape off emblems and such to avoid damaging your pads.

BOGGING DOWN

Since sharing my purchase of this machine I have been told by many there is an issue of concern with Rupes bogging down. Immediately I knew exactly what others were talking about. If you apply just too much pressure on your top hand that is directly over the pad the machine does feel like you are forcing too much on it. Now do I feel the machine really "bogs down" as some may say....no it does not. Nothing more than any other polisher would do.

After realizing the bogging down part I wanted to move to a new panel that contained a good amount of swirls and try something out. Remember this was a black paint that was sitting outside thru snow, ice, rain, wind for about 3 weeks. I also was using halogen lighting so the swirls were out in full force.

With the front and rear passenger doors being next, I decided to work the front door with very light pressure listening for the Rupes to be at it's highest performance and work the entire panel while starting a stop watch. And there it was.....no extra pressure was needed and the correction was completed in an easy manner.

I then moved to the rear door, and used a little more pressure. To the point where I could hear the machine bogging down a little. Yes I received the same results, however I felt I used more time overall, but I actually didn't. The time took almost the exact same, however I felt the panel took a lot longer because I was using more energy.

So with this, I do agree you can achieve the same results as the Flex, with less energy being used.

CONCLUSION

After 2 rounds of applying products at higher speed on the entire vehicle, and moving on to a sealant application on a lower speed setting I can share with you my final thoughts on the Ruper LHR21ES Random Orbital Polisher.

I like the machine a lot. I feel there is room for loving it as I continue to use it on all different paints and vehicles. So I kept asking myself some questions all yesterday and into this morning as I thought about this write up.

- Would I recommend a current Flex owner to run out and buy a Rupes?

NO! Should you come across one and you have the financial security to purchase one to add to your arsenal, then go for it.

- Do I like the Rupes over the Flex?

To early to tell at this stage. I love the way the Rupes feels over the Flex but in overall comparison I would say the Rupes only has a slight advantage at this point.

- Would I suggest somebody upgrading from a Porter Cable to a Rupes?

I have my concerns with this one. I feel there is almost a certain experience factor needed, but I'm not too sure. It could just be me over thinking this while trying to put myself in others shoes. I have this concern about somebody not to familiar with polishers of all kinds going straight to the Rupes as their 2nd machine. So with that I would suggest trying to get a hold of a Rupes and a Flex to try out first before you decide to purchase.

- Am I happy I purchase the Rupes?

Absolutely. Like I said, I have a feeling I am going to fall more and more in love with it. It's just a learning curve to get comfortable since I've been "Flexing" so much lately.

Alright guys and gals, there it is. I'm sure there are some things to be discussed further which I will do my best to share responses to. And please feel free to add to this if you've used the LHR21ES yourself for everyone to know about. Remember there is a lot of information out there on this machine. So go out and search your little polished hearts away!

Thanks everyone! :2thumbs:

Edited by JBlack151

Sounded like you were in love with the Rupes before you used it. So I think you loved the idea of getting something new and then tried to be fair in your write up.

I know you are not a scientist, but this is my critical thinking kicking in and not being 100% to trust your write up. So i will need more favorable reviews before I would considered it.

With that being said you should put a lot of work into the the write up. And I am not trying to be an ***, but I imagine I am coming off as one.

Thanks for the outstanding review John! We have one of these in our the shop and have been testing it. We feel similarly. An expensive alternative to the PC, but not a replacement to the Flex......

:2thumbs:

You hit the nail right on the head Adam with that last line. I couldn't have said it better myself.

I thought about going into great depths detailing the numerous specifics of this machine. With sharing all the mechanics and such. I've seen other write ups of these machines on other forums with drawings of the throw patterns and so much more including the tear down of the various parts adding washers, etc. To me that information is all great however what does that leave you with when you want to know if it actually works and feels like when applying it to the paints.

Don't get me wrong, that knowledge definitely has it's place and I absorbed all of it. I just wanted to keep my review more of the hands on feeling as opposed to breaking down the build info of the Rupes.

Should have I shared the products and pads used of my experience, maybe. But this is an Adam's forum and I wanted to base everything simply on the machine itself.

With that I will mention I tested the Rupes with multiple brands of pads including Adam's. There were microfiber cutting pads, foam cutting pads, polishing pads and sealant pads. In all I used 7 different pads.

For products I used a range of things. I tried to get the most out of using the Rupes in this one job on my SS. There were compounds, polishes and sealants used from various companies also including Adam's. I just don't think any of those were needed in my review of finding out if the machine works or not.

I originally felt I didn't want to post the review for everyone and instead update a few of the Adam's crew and the 3-4 others that inquired. However after an early wake up and a fresh cup of coffee I decided to post publicly and there could be others that have more information to share and questions to be asked.

Back to the comment about thinking I liked the machine before I even used it. Yes I was happy to get my hands on a new polisher that is said to change the way we perform detailing tasks. But I was very skeptical. I think I was more excited to be able to attack a vehicle outside in the Northeast in the middle of January with the temps for this past weekend.

In the end I still feel the machine isn't overall all the excitement others have made it out to possibly be. But I think it will continue to make it's way into the industry further. I'm just a guy who loves detailing and figured I would share this info to others here on this great forum.

Again, I'm open to answer any questions everyone may have about the Rupes.

You hit the nail right on the head Adam with that last line. I couldn't have said it better myself.

I thought about going into great depths detailing the numerous specifics of this machine. With sharing all the mechanics and such. I've seen other write ups of these machines on other forums with drawings of the throw patterns and so much more including the tear down of the various parts. To me that information is all great however what does that leave you with when you want to know if it actually works and feels like when applying it to the paints.

I wanted to keep my review more of the hands on feeling as opposed to breaking down the build info of the Rupes.

Should have I shared the products and pads used of my experience, maybe. But this is an Adam's forum and I wanted to base everything simply on the machine itself.

With that I will let you I tested the Rupes with multiple brands of pads including Adam's. There were microfiber cutting pads, foam cutting pads, polishing pads and sealant pads. In all I used 7 different pads.

For products I used a range of things. I tried to get the most out of using the Rupes in this one job on my SS. There were compounds, polishes and sealants used from various companies also including Adam's. I just don't think any of those were needed in my review of finding out if the machine works or not.

I originally felt I didn't want to post the review for everyone and instead update a few of the Adam's crew and the 3-4 others that inquired. However I felt there could be others that have more information to share and questions to be asked.

Back to the comment about thinking I liked the machine before I even used it. Yes I was happy to get my hands on a new polisher that is said to change the way we perform detailing tasks. But I was very skeptical. I think I was more excited to be able to attack a vehicle outside in the Northeast in the middle of January with the temps for this past weekend.

In the end I still feel the machine isn't overall all the excitement others have made it out to possibly be. But I think it will continue to make it's way into the industry further. I'm just a guy who loves detailing and figured I would share this info to others here on this great forum.

Again, I'm open to answer any questions everyone may have about the Rupes.

Once again thanks for the review.

I was able to use it couple of times and I was impressed with how easy it was to use and how smooth the machine is. I still think that there's a bit of misunderstanding regarding the machine. Rupes is not a replacement for Flex. Flex is still king when it comes to correction with foam pads, Rupes Bigfoot was designed as a system pads and polishes there were designed to maximize the polisher. Once you get into MF pads that's where Rupes has advantage over Flex.

Adam and I had a lengthy discussion with Phil over at detailers domain last night about the rupes and other things. We can all agree that the detailing world as a whole is very much a "flavor of the month" culture.

You'd swear the rupes was designed and built by Jesus himself and shipped in a solid gold package based on some of the preliminary reviews from people, but I think once its been around a bit the impressions will come back to earth. Is it THAT much better than anything else? Not really IMO... but its new and detailing people like 'new'. Its a very nice tool, but its not rewriting the books as many people were originally reviewing it.

Its definitely a nice machine, but it has a few key hurdles that make it tough to 'endorse' it across the board. Its definitely a reasonable alternative for people who want something somewhere between the PC and Flex, but the price and some of the functional issues with it make for some head scratching.

I just can't get past the lack of a graduated trigger. Why bother with a trigger at all if its nothing more than an on/off switch? A thumb switch on the upper part of the handle/body would've made more sense or better yet make the trigger work like a trigger on 99% of the other polishers in the world.

Its also exhibiting some scoring on the back of the plate after only a few test sessions. The shroud, while nice that it keeps polish dust/debris out of the machine, is at such a tight tolerance to the bp that its showing sings of wear already.

Other things like lack of domestic support for repair/parts is another concern. What happens when your rupes breaks? The current solution seems to be ship it back to Italy as there is no infrastructure aside from distribution to support it right now. These are serious considerations for us given the level of warranty we provide. If they get a solid foothold in the market I'm sure that part of the puzzle follows, but as of now no one seems to have a better answer.

Edited by Dylan@Adams

I don't know about you, but fake carbon fiber makes it look HAUT! ;)

If it isn't here, I don't see it. I'm not a detailing fanatic. I enjoy well maintained cars, but I'm not going to try every new thing there is. If Adam and the team approve, I'll use it.

The price of the Rupes will limit its appeal just as not every gets a Flex over the PC. The Flex went through something similar. As many with new products, there are always new adopters and over time we will learn more about the pro's and con's.

How much faster was it to get a panel corrected compared to the PC?

I understand that the Rupes is an Orbital polisher like the PC, but it sounds like you didn't need to apply the same amount of pressure to it as you with with using the PC, is that correct?

How much faster was it to get a panel corrected compared to the PC?

I understand that the Rupes is an Orbital polisher like the PC, but it sounds like you didn't need to apply the same amount of pressure to it as you with with using the PC, is that correct?

1. I couldn't tell you how much faster it is compared to the PC correcting a panel. I haven't used my PC with anything except the 4" Focus Pads for a while now. But I would have to say there is an improvement in overall time on a panel. However, ones technique to lay down your product may also play a large factor as well.

2. Based off the feel of the Rupes versus the PC there is a night and day comparison with the Rupes not powering your hands and arms for a joyride. There's no need to apply pressure against the Rupes besides using your hand at the top for guidance and control.

Hope that helps with what you were looking for.

Its not so much the pressure or speed, its the "throw" - essentially how far off axis the orbit goes. Larger throw typically translates to faster cutting, and the polisher uses a friction method to slow the rotation of the pad rather than requiring the user to place downward pressure on it like the PC.

With the throw being so large if it didn't have this friction plate it would spin wildly even with tons of pressure.