Customer Service 866.965.0400

PAINT RESCUE: BMW X5d hack job recovery

Team Adam's

I'll apologize now for the lack of pictures on this one. Started washing when it was still only about 34* outside so I wasn't terribly motivated to stop and take pics. Also, this job was a time sensitive deal, needed to be turned around quick so I didn't want to spend too much time on pics once i really got into it.

It was traded in at Pollard Jeep (good friends of ours) and we promised to turn it around so they could sell it on their lot.

PROCESS:

Wheels cleaned with Deep Wheel Cleaner

Boars Hair and Lug Brush for faces

Medium Wheel Woolie and Turbostick for barrels

Tires cleaned with full strength APC

Scrubbed with Tire Brush

Fender liners treated with APC and Fender Brush

Exterior blasted with a pressure washer

Foamed with a heavy mix of APC and Car Wash

2 bucket wash with grit guards and 2 wash pads

Dried with Master Blaster, Great White Drying Towel and DS drying agent

Clayed with Adam's Clay and DS

Trim stains removed with APC and old Waterless Towel

Prototype Tire Coating applied to the tires

All exterior trim and engine bay dressed with SVRT and IOS

Correction was done using some new products we're working on and various polishers including the Flex 3401, Rupes, and Flex PE14-2 for testing purposes

All residues removed with Double Soft Towels

Brilliant Glaze was applied with a Red pad

Finished off with a coat of Buttery Wax (since Buttery hardly ever gets love in writeups)

BEFORE:

This was done by a "professional detailer" and as you can see from the pictures he definitely didn't have any business attempting to correct paint. Some of the worst holograms I've ever seen, coupled with heavy compound/wax stains on all the exterior trim. This thing was an absolute DISASTER!

These shots are after the exterior was washed and dried.

THIS my friends, is why you don't let someone who has ZERO skill or experience with a rotary take one to your finish. willy_nilly.gif

_DSC9406.jpg

_DSC9407.jpg

_DSC9408.jpg

_DSC9409.jpg

_DSC9410.jpg

_DSC9411.jpg

_DSC9414.jpg

Before even starting on the paint I restored all the trim, removing stains/oxidation with APC and an old waterless wash towel

_DSC9415.jpg

_DSC9416.jpg

_DSC9417.jpg

Once the trim was cleaned I applied a VERY heavy coating of Super VRT. The trim appeared to have been neglected for a long time so an extra heavy coat would allow it to soak in and I could address excess later.

_DSC9418.jpg

Next the entire exterior was clayed

_DSC9420.jpg

_DSC9421.jpg

Test patch on the hood was completed after claying with a 50/50 to see progress.

_DSC9427.jpg

Continuing to bring out the reflections, one panel at a time :)

_DSC9431.jpg

AFTER:

As mentioned b/c this was a time sensitive job I had to skip taking pics of the correction process, heres the finished product after 8 hours.

_DSC9435.jpg

_DSC9436.jpg

_DSC9437.jpg

_DSC9438.jpg

_DSC9439.jpg

Lookin' pretty darn good for a 50,000+ mile rig!

_DSC9441.jpg

_DSC9443.jpg

_DSC9444.jpg

_DSC9445.jpg

_DSC9447.jpg

Dylan approved.

_DSC9450.jpg

Tucked back into the warehouse and waiting for the dealership to take it back to the lot and put it up for sale (hopfully for a lot more than they first thought they would!)

_DSC9451.jpg

_DSC9452.jpg

Thanks for looking! :cheers:

Edited by Adam

Excellent Job !!

The ONLY problem with this detail is that I showed my wife the before and after pictures and she said "Wow - they did a nice job on that....how much is that SUV, I think I may want one" :rolleyes:

Thanks alot Dylan !! :help:

Edited by 86lxjunker

Conehead... But on a serious note. Is that a Rupes product I spot there?

coneheads23mz.jpg

Guess you weren't reading?

Correction was done using some new products we're working on and various polishers including the Flex 3401, Rupes, and Flex PE14-2 for testing purposes

I know it's off topic, however I can't help being drawn to the T-Bird in the background under Adam's Bronco. I think it's a 55 but not sure. Even though I bleed Chevy, I have a special place in my heart for 55-57 Thunderbirds as my late father had a 56 and my neighbor who was like a father to me after mine passed had a 57. Both these amazing men taught me everything I know about classic cars.

Anyways, who ever owns that one it looks beautiful from what I can see.

u6esanyh.jpg