Customer Service 866.965.0400

Clay Bar Alternative

Z71_Denali

Question

i won't name companies, but its called the Opti-Eraser. its a dense foam block that’s laminated with an advanced acrylic resin on the two largest sides. This high-tech resin essentially shaves off above-surface contaminants that would otherwise interfere with the proper bonding of your wax, sealant or coating. they claim its the evolution of the clay bar.

Any of you pros have experience with one of these? If Adam's could get there hands on an American made one, and approve of it after testing, i'd buy it

41MfbD%2BSpBL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

Edited by 2010TexasEdition

I feel ya buddy. I respect the HEEEEELLL outta Phil up there in NJ!! Dude is a BEAST, and I know he uses those towels. Heck, I've even called him recently to "talk shop" and get his take on a few things. So I'm always looking to improve, myself!!! I simply meant what I said to be a "fun" interpretation of my adamant disagreeance with those towels. I FOR SURE did not mean it to sound condescending in any nature. I totally apologize for that.

We cool homeslice....we cool. :)

They offer deep wheel cleaner which can be used as the product you are talking about

Wow, I didn't even think to investigate the new wheel cleaner since I still use the green and I was only thinking about using this for the paint. I just bought a bottle of the brand X stuff and it cost me way more than the DWC, son of a :o

Guess I'm gonna have to get a gallon of the DWC.

Have any of you guys used the nanoskin autoscrub in place of clay? If so which would you prefer to use? I am thinking of getting one since I just got a PC and a nice collection of adams products to go along with it! :D Any feedback on this is greatly appreciated!

I've stuck this thread so people can see Adams CURRENT take on the available clay alternatives.

IMO, people in the detailing business tend to JUMP on the first new over marketed products. Sometimes it's warranted and sometimes it is NOT. I usually trust what the Adams team says since they've never steered me wrong in the past. I'm not detailing for money, therefore I don't need all out speed. I'd rather play it a bit safer and stick with what I know works.

Edited by Chewy

I've stuck this thread so people can see Adams CURRENT take on the available clay alternatives.

IMO, people in the detailing business tend to JUMP on the first new over marketed products. Sometimes it's warranted and sometimes it is NOT. I usually trust what the Adams team says since they've never steered me wrong in the past. I'm not detailing for money, therefore I don't need all out speed. I'd rather play it a bit safer and stick with what I know works.

:iagree:

i was hoping my first sticky to be something way cooler than this :lolsmack::loser::D

lol... It's just been asked a lot lately with everyone marketing some sort of clay alternative. Personally I think it's because of the patent that ITW or whomever has on clay. People don't want to be held to that.

What about this dylan? NanoSkin Autoscrub Fine Foam Pad 6 Inch Would this be safe?

I have it. It works, but you MUST use plenty of DS. If you let the surface get slightly dry it mars the heck out of the finish.

When I cleaned up my brother's Mustang, it hadn't ever been clayed. Was sitting in the Vegas sun for almost 5 years and generally all around neglected. I only had about 3 hours to do it.

The paint was rough, I mean sandpaper rough, or as Adam would say, rougher than a few months in jail. I used plenty of DS, but it still marred the finish. That was OK because I had to hit it up with some SSR, some SHR and finally FMP AND wasn't going for anywhere near perfect.

A few days later when we got my wife her Camaro, I went right back to the actual real clay. It needed clayed, but wasn't too bad and being brand new, certainly wasn't neglected.

Next time I have an absolutely trashed, I mean severely neglected car, I might use the thing again, but for for a car that has been clayed before and is in pretty decent shape, no way - I'll stick with clay.

(sounds like some kind of chant - NO WAY, I'LL STICK WITH CLAY :lol:)

I clayed the truck today. I washed it didn't bother to dry it I just sprayed detailer on the wet surface and clayed worked for me. I like saving a step if possible. When I got done I threw the clay out the door. Then I proceeded to wipe down the truck with detailer and the big white towel. Hit it with the polish then buttery wax. VRT the trim and decals wow on the decals. Thought to myself why not use that spent clay on the tailpipes. so I did don't matter how dirty the clay is wow on the pipes. So Idea of the month don't throw your clay out use it on your tailpipe tips. 

Just as a side note thats semi-related...

Rumor has it we will finally be able to break free from the ITW/Clay Magic patent law on July 28th (barring their lawyers getting more extensions on the patent or other legal maneuvering). I already have a dozen different bars on my desk that are being tested. 

Stay tuned!