Customer Service 866.965.0400

Clay Bar Alternative

Z71_Denali

Question

i won't name companies, but its called the Opti-Eraser. its a dense foam block that’s laminated with an advanced acrylic resin on the two largest sides. This high-tech resin essentially shaves off above-surface contaminants that would otherwise interfere with the proper bonding of your wax, sealant or coating. they claim its the evolution of the clay bar.

Any of you pros have experience with one of these? If Adam's could get there hands on an American made one, and approve of it after testing, i'd buy it

41MfbD%2BSpBL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

Edited by 2010TexasEdition

Just as a side note thats semi-related...

Rumor has it we will finally be able to break free from the ITW/Clay Magic patent law on July 28th (barring their lawyers getting more extensions on the patent or other legal maneuvering). I already have a dozen different bars on my desk that are being tested. 

Stay tuned! 

how are you looking for to "better" the current clay?

I find the current clay that Adam's sells to be fairly top notch.

Can you sneak us a few insights to let us know how you are making a great product better?

Can you sneak us a few insights to let us know how you are making a great product better?

I use a clay from the UK that plain blows the currently available stuff away.  What I like about it, is it's a bit safer on corrected paint, but still removes the contamination.   It's more malleable without being gooey!  I can't stand gooey clay.  

Adams clay is just as good as any other clay in the USA, but compared to what's available everywhere else in the world, it's just OK.  

Adams knows this and it's driven them NUTS for years.  

I use a clay from the UK that plain blows the currently available stuff away.  What I like about it, is it's a bit safer on corrected paint, but still removes the contamination.   It's more malleable without being gooey!  I can't stand gooey clay.  

Adams clay is just as good as any other clay in the USA, but compared to what's available everywhere else in the world, it's just OK.  

Interesting hmmm.. Sub'ed for sure.. 

Not sure how familiar you are with the backstory, but thanks to patent laws ITW (the parent company of clay magic) has control of all clay sold in the US. Its not 'bad' clay, but there is better out there. 

I'd agree that the stuff we currently sell is better than average... but it can be better. 

Anyone who has used clay from the UK (like bilt hamber labs) knows the difference. Softer, more malleable, easier to work with, less chance of marring, etc. 

Prior to the patent going into effect we sold a yellow clay that was AMAZING... so soft and sticky... it was a dream to work with. We hope to go back to that type of bar and are looking at solutions currently. 

That's what I would like to see from Adams.  A softer clay for the people that need to clay, but don't necessarily need something harsh. Bilt Hamber has 3 levels of clay they offer.  I'd like to see Adams offer the soft and regular if possible.  

I never had the yellow Adams clay.  I had the blue and then the gray.  I use the gray on my windows. 

Chris

Chris,

I tried to send you a PM and it's not allowing me.. 

Resolved!  I had like 400 PM's from the old VB days and this forum only allows 100...  lol 

Chris

I use a clay from the UK that plain blows the currently available stuff away. What I like about it, is it's a bit safer on corrected paint, but still removes the contamination. It's more malleable without being gooey! I can't stand gooey clay.

That's pretty exciting, considering how good Adams current clay is.

I recently bought and used a clay bar alternative and I liked it. Bought a red, heavy duty foam pad and a blue, medium grade wash mitt. I felt the wash mitt was very nice, didn't mar the paint at all and easy to use. Used it with Adam's blue soap & about 2oz of Rinseless wash in a bucket. Now the red sponge however was a little tricky to use, I wasn't really a fan of it. 

But neither one of them worked on glass near as good as my Adam's big blue clay bar, it was a no contest there.  

The medium grade you really should be using only on hammered paints, it will mar the surface, no doubt about it.

The only alternative I have kept is the fine grade sponge, since its smaller and easier to handle (blue).  It works great on glass, but again, plenty of lube is needed to not mar paint.

End of the day, the clay bar is still the winner.

The medium grade you really should be using only on hammered paints, it will mar the surface, no doubt about it.

The only alternative I have kept is the fine grade sponge, since its smaller and easier to handle (blue).  It works great on glass, but again, plenty of lube is needed to not mar paint.

End of the day, the clay bar is still the winner.

I stand corrected, my mitt is a fine grade.

Either way, I can see how clay will always have its place. I'll keep mine for windows, exhaust tips & wheels. 

My cars don't get many miles on them. I clayed my ZL1 for the second time in a year this past weekend and I was reminded how much it sucks. Maybe I'm just getting old and lazy but what used to be an enjoyable thing turned into a chore that took me a good hour. I would GLADLY accept a new method for claying. I've been hesitant to try any of the newer blocks or towels due to random reports of marring. I'll stay tuned.

Guest washemup

I have used both the speedy prep towel and traditional clay. I like the towel (fine grade) on medium to hard paint.

The biggest disadvantage is the towel is dark in color, and contaminates cannot be seen.

Folded into quarters, then flipped every section, rinse the towel with warm water. Prime the towel and section with lube every time you flip to a new quarter. Use little to no pressure, just glide the towel until it runs smooth. Saves a lot of time, though uses more lube.

Softer paint I prefer traditional clay, the towel can easily cause micro-marring.

It's sounds as if Dylan has a solution that works on all types and is very "paint safe" at the same time. :bravo:

I have a new material coming down the pipe that will really flip this dynamic on its head - use like clay, rinse like media. Still in very early testing, but so far very promising.

When does the pipe end? Is this any closer...

I also had seen a product called "nanoskin autoscrub" it looks like a pad that you attach to your DA, Ive heard some good reviews. Love my visco clay bar but I'm all for a quicker product IF it works as well. Has anyone had any expierience with it?

I also had seen a product called "nanoskin autoscrub" it looks like a pad that you attach to your DA, Ive heard some good reviews. Love my visco clay bar but I'm all for a quicker product IF it works as well. Has anyone had any expierience with it?

I've seen people use this. It seems like an interesting topic because from what I know using a clay bar is best if done in a straight line and so if your nanoskin picked up some dirty and did a circular pattern wouldn't you technically add more scratches and aren't the round ones harder to get out?