Customer Service 866.965.0400

Need some help! Removing PAINTED pinstriping, experts only please!

Chase@InsanePaint

Question

Ok, so I have a cool retro project in the garge right now, a 1989 Mercedes 300CE. The owner wanted the pinstriping removed, and it's painted on. NO PROBLEM. The entire car was going totally smooth. Light heat gun, 3M adhesive remover, a good MF towel, and some PATIENCE. It was a piece of cake, until I hit the driver's side door.....It's been repainted, which means the pinstriping is NEWER, and it's INCREDIBLY difficult to remove. The small 4"-5" section that's been removed (below), took 45 minutes!! And I still have the rest of the door!! My fear is that I'm going to harm the surrounding paint in the process. So I taped off around it, and decided to come in & ask for a 2nd opinion. Thoughts, gentlemen?? I cant just leave a random door unfinished, but I also want to be SAFE about the deal.

Here's where I'm at NOW.....

DSCN0263_zpsfbe425fb.jpg

DSCN0262_zpsd1c726c9.jpg

DSCN0265_zpsba80bc50.jpg

DSCN0264_zps51e54040.jpg

It might help to know, that I've already communicated the issue to the client, and he knows about this. He trusts me to do what is right. Thanks in advance for ANY help!! :)

First three hits from youtube...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuNiEAqwsYI]Painted Pin Stripe Removal - YouTube[/ame]

Another....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgD9SJ_7Cto]Removing Pin Stripes - YouTube[/ame]

More oven cleaner references....better you than me.

How to remove painted pinstripes. Its easy! - MercuryMarauder.net Forums

I used straight turtle wax rubbing compound years and years ago (over 10).. its basically like wet sanding. it will scratch the living crap out of the clear coat below it, and you'll have to polish it back to a shine, but it worked. I wouldn't recommend this method now 10 years later. I would use the drill and some 4" pads to save time.. I want to say the old method took me 4 hours just to remove the stripes then another 3 to do a 3 stage polish to remove all the damage I did with the rubbing compound.

Chase I am not an expert here but I read an article about using easy off oven cleaner with some q tips followed of course by a cleaner polish! Research first of course but it does work on stained windows!!!!! Good luck bud !!!!!!!!!!

My fear of this is removing the PAINT in between the two stripes.

In my experience, Lacquer thinner won't remove anything that's clear coated. Essentially any modern paint system is safe. Again just my experience using it on about ten cars or so.

Sorry I'm late to the party, anyhow, my stripper also uses lacquer thinner for removing the stripes. Most likely it is One Shot lettering enamel, tough stuff, but can be removed.

Bruce

Matter of fact, I used his alcohol wipe down technique last night post polishing and to remove LSP in order to use QS, BG, then Americana. It was awesome, and something I'll do from now on. Removed all residue, cleaned, wiped completely streak free, and prepped the surface. I too am taking notes. :lurk:

Oven cleaner is soaking. 1st application soaked for 5 minutes, barely did anything. 2nd coat soaked for 10 minutes, little better. I'm gonna let this 3rd coat soak for 30 minutes. Keep y'all posted. Thanks for the help & support! If this doesn't do it, I'll be buying lacquer thinner tomorrow. :)