Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cleaning headliner....??

Chase@InsanePaint

Question

I have a headliner job coming in on Thursday, cleaning from a water leak, small water stains & other random dirt/grease stains. The color is light gray. It's the first time I've tackled a "bad" headliner. I'm envisioning using Carpet & upholstery cleaner, hot water, and my shop vac. Will probably cover the seats and lower parts of interior. How have you guys cleaned (thoroughly) headliners in the past, with great success? Cautions? Helpful hints? Thanks so much!

12 answers to this question

I have used Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner on my light gray headliner to remove (wait for it) melted chocolate. Misted area lightly, and a MF, VERY Gingerly massaged the spot, changing to clean areas of MF to pick up the gunk. I avoided saturating the headliner. as much as possible. Didn't want it to get totally wet. Came out great. Also removed dirty fingerprints from the headliner as well.

Edited by Doug123

Have had success with steam nozzle wrapped in terry cloth (will kill bacteria from leaks), attack the stains without saturation, blot with Adam's Upholstery cleaner, blot residue with edgeless utility towel.

The headliner in question was a very low pile.

Hope it helps, like camaro2ssblack says use caution as the glue can lose adhesiveness if wet.

I have used CUC on my light gray headliner to remove (wait for it) melted chocolate. Misted area lightly, and a MF, VERY Gingerly massaged the spot, changing to clean areas of MF to pick up the gunk. I avoided saturating the headliner. as much as possible. Didn't want it to get totally wet. Came out great. Also removed dirty fingerprints from the headliner as well.

What is CUC?

be careful of over saturation and shop vac suction. Both can cause the headliner glue to fail as mentioned.

I do as Larry Kosilla does and blot dry the headliner. My own twist/addition is if you have a metro vac, use the heated air blower to help dry the headliner.

My girlfriend's car had one bad headliner and personally I rented a steamer from A&P and used CUC to agitate the headliner first and then the steamer to suck the crap out. Looks brand new

Good Luck. I have the same problem on my truck and tried the exact same things you listed several times and it's still there. Let me know how it goes.

:worth:

Edited by Kingsford

I have a couple customers that use the Carpet cleaner to clean their head liners. One even has a car lot and LOVES the stuff.

I don't' think I have the pics anymore but I used CUC to remove dried soda (nice brown stains) that a certain teenager had sprayed while opening a can of soda (and failed to mention it to me). Using CUC and a clean MF (with a twisting action) removed what other cleaners, shampoo, etc could not.

I do have a steamer that would help with stubborn stains but CUC did the job. I also have used CUC for stubborn seat fabric stains, almost all of it coming out with one or two applications of CUC. This. stuff. just. works!!!

[m]