Customer Service 866.965.0400

My Turn: Restoring/Polishing Billet Aluminum Rims

BRZN

Question

Picked these CCW SP550's up used: New Shoes

Started with just one wheel to see how to correct them to my liking: cleaning, careful: DWC and Raw Billet Aluminum.

I tried polishing; got them to shine, but there are deep scratches, pits and gouges I want out before they find their way onto my GTO. I wet sanded one of the spokes with 1000 grit and followed up finer through 3000 grit, but still wasn't where I wanted them. I figured at this point I'd experiment with something smaller; the center caps. I have over an hour into each one, this is going to be a job:

IMG_6074resize_zps56b4c847.jpg

Pictured above; left one part way done, right one not touched yet.

Odd, the rear wheels have center caps of a lower profile than the fronts. Anyways, I removed all four center caps and their O-Rings and thoroughly washed them.

The center caps are removed by pushing them from the front through the barrel side of the wheel. Either someone couldn't figure this out or simply decided to remove/install them with a claw hammer and screwdriver:

CenterCapRearresize_zpsd30aed5a.jpg

The fronts had marks almost as bad! Funny how the seller represented these wheels as almost like new. Some peoples view of almost like new are quite different than other's, that's for sure!

Here's one poped out of the wheel:

Straightoffwheel_zps689b5a6b.jpg

Then again after cleaning:

Washed_zpsf509801c.jpg

Hammered

21 answers to this question

After cleaning and removing the O-Rings I began sanding. 220 grit was required to remove the imperfections. I progressed through several various different grits to finally end with 3000 grit. Most of the work/time was spent with the 220 grit to remove the imperfections, the other papers were used mostly to just remove the sanding marks left from the previous grit.

Here's one all sanded down:

Sanded_zps35959731.jpg

Sandedflat_zpsd8d01025.jpg

I was able to remove almost every imperfection. Anything that was located at the beveled or top edge was pretty much left alone. I didn't want to distort the piece.

After sanding, it was time to begin polishing. Eventually I'll be using Adam's Metal Polishes #'s 1 & 2 to get that mirror finish, but to start with I needed something with more bite that would be quicker. A trip to Sears to pick up some Craftsman goodies:

PolishingSupplies_Sears_Craftsmanresize_

Two 6" Firm Buffing Wheels, one Medium and their four part compounds. I attached the buffing wheels to my 1/2hp Bench Grinder and went to town. I had to order the Soft Buffing Wheel online since they didn't have one in stock at the store, I'm really anxious to see where the fine compound with a soft wheel will get me.

PolishedonBenchGrinder_zps868f1939.jpg

PolishedonBenchGrinderflat_zps13834a6c.j

There are still polish marks left from the Medium Buffing Wheel and #3 compound, but dang, they're looking good.

Craftsman3rouge_mediumbuffingwheel_zpsa8

I think I'm going to try to attach the Buffing Wheels to my high speed rotary.

Looking good.  With my wheels I experimented with a bunch of different things before I found a process that worked.  I think I posted in my thread but I eventually had to go all the way down to 180 grit to get most of the pitting out of my barrels.  Another resource for information for you is Caswell Plating.  They have a website with a bunch of polishing items available for purchase and they have a forum with some good information.  Based on what I've read after sanding you will have good results using your rotary with the right buffing wheels and compounds.  I don't have one and didn't want to buy one just for this so am using a corded drill.  Keep posting your progress.

Thanks Scott, keep your thread updated as I'm going to do the same here. Perhaps we'll each learn some shortcuts from each others trial and error. I couldn't find any Wet/Dry paper courser than 200 and really don't want to dry sand with 180 grit since it'll be removing material rather quickly that way.

After a tough fight with Sears Customer Service regarding my Soft Buffing Wheel being sent to the wrong address (their fault), I picked one up on line from Caswell Plating.

SoftCottonBuffingWheelresize_zps9e6c54d6

The Craftsmen web site is near impossable to navigate so I Googled what I wanted and found that Sears themselves had it and placed the order. What I was unaware of was that it was actually a vendor authorized to sell with Sears name. Sears didn't want to help at first and wanted me to deal directly with the vendor. After making quite a stink I was able to get them to refund my money. Some companies thought of Customer Service...

Here is where I've been able to get the Center Caps:

IMG_6100resize_zps752505d9.jpg

Sanding progressed from 220 grit through 3000 grit.

Machine polishing was with two Firm, one Medium and one Soft cotton Buffing Wheel attached to my 1/2hp bench grinder, using all four of the Sears compopunds on their own specific buffing wheel.

Hand Polishing was done with Adam's Metal Polish #1 using a Blue Hex Grip Applicator followed up with Adam's Metal Polish #2 using a Mini Americana Applicator.

The residue was wiped off with one of Adam's Premium Metal Polish Towel then buffed with a felt jewelry cloth.

What I've learned working with this forged billet aluminum is that if I did get it to an absolute mirror finish, seemingly nothing more than breathing on it would marr it. I've got to rethink what perfection is to this material and either live with it or put them for sale once done.

IMG_6102resize_zps5d65f09b.jpg

Check out this reflection:

IMG_6103resize_zpsbf0074cf.jpg

I've now started wet sanding the imperfections out of one of the front wheels starting with the 220 grit paper. Wish me luck, and I'll report back with more pics later...

Edited by BRZN

Those caps look great!  And I'm with you on seeking perfection on billet - it is not happening.  I'm going to live with imperfection and move on.  I was so mad yesterday on mine that I wanted to say screw it.  But once you do achieve results it is satisfying.  Keep up the good work!

Update

A man's gotta know his limitations.

There comes a time when going to a professional just makes good sense.

IMG_6160resize_zpsf549a07a.jpg

After 40 hours I was able to get one of the 2" lipped front wheels to this:

IMG_6162resize_zps5c8fdba4.jpg

IMG_6161resize_zpsb03665df.jpg

Yes, 40 hours on just one wheel!

I simply lost the ambition and desire to finish them. And looking at the size and damage to the 3" lipped rear wheels made my stomach turn. I knew I could do it, I just couldn't get motivated.

I found a metal polisher close to me and dropped them off, all four. I picked them back up from him last Tuesday:

Polished and stacked for degreasing and decontaminating

10409707_10152740274291257_1935886232796

Front

1604399_10152748288126257_23978713146674

Rear

10410971_10152748290416257_2607798078741

On Display and ready for their first of many Photo Shoots

10685406_10152748352686257_1930202689572

I ordered the tires yesterday and hope to have them on the car before she's put away for the winter.

Edited by BRZN

They're on!

Wrapped in Hankook Ventus V12 evo 2's. 245/35ZR x 19" up front and 275/30ZR 19's out back

IMG_6741resize_zpsc6b15137.jpg

The wheel manufacturer recommended these, as they will fit in the wheel wells without having to roll or cut the fenders. Boy, they're tight!

IMG_6745resize_zpsc6d67a5b.jpg

IMG_6752resize_zpsb415e638.jpg

IMG_6751resize_zpsb469dcf7.jpg

Tires/Wheels they replaced, I thought they were fat.

Before

01Beforeresize_zps57bd96f7.jpg

After

02After_zps554b2af3.jpg

New suspension goes on this winter. I'll lower it between 3/4-1".