Customer Service 866.965.0400

Question

Machine being used is the FLEX 3401 I believe with foam pads. Everything I got in the kit is still brand new... Green pads down to the MSS I believe

In the near future we plan to tackle my dads 2010 Camaro. I do have a couple of questions though I would like to get out of the way and be prepared as much as possible. I already know we are going to have a battle with all the angles of the car since its our first time but I also got him the focus pads for the drill. They make me nervous.

First off, when taping everything up such as panel gaps, and anything else, do you tape as close to the edge as possible so that when the tape is peeled you can't see the scratches the tape was covering? Or do you polish then peel the tape and hit the seam with less polish? I see the people taping off 2x2 spots. Is it ok to go over the spot where the tape was and into the already corrected area to be sure you get where the tape was?

I saw in the video the residue was left after the paint correction polish since we are using the foam pads as well. After polishing, I read that some do an IPA wipedown? Can I simply put the IPA in an empty spray bottle and spray it on and wipe it off like detail spray or is there a better way to do the IPA wipedown. I am a completely new guy to IPA and using it on a vehicle. More info or steps would be great on that area!

After the paint correction steps, whats my next step? I believe I got him some MSS. Should I IPA wipedown then follow with the MSS or go with quick sealant then glaze then wax?

Any and all help will be appreciated for a first timer!

8 answers to this question

Tape: You want to tape as close as possible to any edges or badges or whatever you don't want to run the pad over. So this means try to cover only the parts you're not going to polish. It's kind of like a band-aid; you don't cover your whole arm with one, you just cover your scrape. Also the 2x2 is only for when you do a test spot to see what steps you need to take to get to near or perfect paint. After that, I don't use tape at all but use common sense and not polish too big or an area.

IPA: I've heard Camaro paint is soft from this forum (not sure how true that is), but in my opinion IPA should be diluted down to at least %20 IPA and %80 Distilled water. There is some debate that IPA softens the paint for a second or two and during the wipe process you can mar the paint.

It's basically like waterless wash, you spray and wipe in the same direction. It's very simple and it evaporates really quickly.

After: A IPA wipedown is a good idea because it exposes any swirls or marring that maybe the polish filled in and then you go onto one of the sealants they offer. After sealant will be glaze, then you wax the car.

Note: The sealants need time to cure. Once they cure you can then layer other products. I don't know their cure time exactly because I don't only use Adams products and don't know everything about their products.

Edited by BKazzle

I don't there is much i can add. I think Brian did a pretty good job explaining it. 

Personally i don't tape my gaps, but i do tape over black trim. I just wait until the end of a panel to go over the gap with the pad so it does not leave excess product in said gaps.

Gotcha. I was more worried about the edges of the paint where the tape was. Prime example, my dads '10 has the hood stripe on it so that will get taped off but id hate to leave 1/4" or even 1/8" not polished around anything and everything.

Completely understand the 2x2 area to start I was more so using that as a demonstration to the tape line getting polished. Or if an edge is taped for a panel gap.

Thanks for the tips on the IPA % and distilled water. I have empty spray bottles from Adam's would one of those and a double soft work?

Also, I do recall the machine super sealant takes a long time to cure which is fine, but I do have a can of quick sealant. The car can sit and we have literally all brand new machine polish and super sealant. He just doesn't have a lot of time so I got him the 2 step polish to take even less time than he already wouldn't have for the pre 2 step kit.

If you're worried about leaving a slight gap, then really focus on how you put the tape on. Aaron brings up a good point and I do the same thing. I don't tape panel gaps, unless the gaps are unequal which I've come across (yikes).

I would imagine IPA would be safe in their bottles, but I'm not sure if IPA can eat away at any of the plastic. Probably something the Adam's crew can chime in about. I use a Home Depot bottle. If you're going to dilute make sure you use this equation:

A(B/C).....A=The IPA % you bought... B= Amount of IPA in ounces you poured into bottle... C= The size of bottle in ounces

Yes a double soft is fine for a wipe down.

If I remember correctly, I saw Mook saying he layers glazes or waxes over quick sealant rather quickly after he put it on. I could be wrong and don't remember where he said something along those lines, but its worth asking him. But on the can it says 30 minutes, which isn't very long anyways.

Like the others said, don't tape panel gaps...ie.  between the quarter panel and the hood.  Spread the polish evenly and don't hit the gap until the polish is spread and soaked up in the pad a bid.  Then you won't leave any excess product in the gap.  If you tape off all the panel gaps, you will inevidably get the dreaded polishing lines all over the car that will need excess pressure or IPA to remove, and I just don't feel comfortable grinding on pain I just made perfect. 

As me how I know.....I used to tape off everything, and it was wasted time.  Like Brian said...just tape off black plastics, some use the SVRT method and don't tape off anything.  I don't like this method.