Customer Service 866.965.0400

Smeared windows (contaminated I suspect)

kdude1

Question

HI everyone, 

I've got something oily on all my windows not sure if its in our out cause I cant seem to get them clean. Anyone have any suggestions for cleaning tinted and non tinted contaminated windows?

I suspect maybe glass sealant or 1 of the interior cleaners has been spread everywhere. Adam's glass cleaner doesn't seem to be helping   :(   (Which normally is great !)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rich

5 answers to this question

Glass Cleaner alone won't help much in this situation because he contains no ammonia. Try some diluted APC or IPA to cut through the oily substance then follow it up with GC.

If it's factory tinted glass you should be ok. If you have an aftermarket tint "film" that has been applied to one side of the glass, I wouldn't use anything too strong on that side.

Thanks Gerry, 

I'm actually out of Adam's all purpose, I was thinking sunlight and water (sunlight ok on tint i wonder?) as I'm nervous with using alcohol on the tinted windows. ( after market inner tint)

Should I dilute the alcohol? If so what ratio?

Thanks again

Is Sunlight a type of degreasing dish soap? I've never heard of it but did a quick google.

if so, you can try that. Use a wet sponge or towel (like if you were washing dishes). If that works, then great. If not, any other all purpose cleaner like Simple Green will work (dilute as well)

Diluting IPA depends on the strength of the alcohol. Most do 50/50, or 60/40 in favor of water. Only go this route if the other methods don't work.

I would try the soap first, as the products that you think are smeared on the glass should not be too stubborn to remove.