Customer Service 866.965.0400

1970 Chevy Nova SS: Clayed/Glazed/Patriotized

egott_91

So, last night I had decided that I was going to polish my dad's Nova for him.

Fast forward to this morning...

I sprayed a 50/50 mixture of water and 70/30 IPA to do an IPA wipedown.  Well, the single stage paint did not like this one bit and I was concerned with the spots that it left on the trunk lid.  I hurried up and hit the panel with DS and it removed some of the spots, but not all of them...crap.  So, I ditched the idea of the IPA wipedown and went into claying the entire car.  It wasn't in terrible shape, just the lower panels had some road grime and the front had some bugs.

Next up was to start polishing with the Cyclo and new PFP.  Did one pass and didn't notice a difference and I felt really uncomfortable polishing on this car for a few reasons... 1) It's an older restoration 2) it's single stage (never worked on single stage before) 3) I didn't know how many coats were on the car and 4) I didn't know how thin the paint was.  Therefore, after that one section pass I called it quits with the polishing as I didn't feel comfortable continuing and possibly messing something up.  I was disappointed, but I figured it's better to be safe than sorry.  So, I wiped off the clay residue and decided to just glaze it up and hit it with a coat of Patriot.  Additionally, I tried to polish the front driver's side wheel up w/ the MP twins, a drill, and the 4" focus pads, but it didn't do much of anything.  They probably need to be wetsanded and then polished, which I'm not comfortable doing.  Anyway,  here are some pictures for you guys to enjoy!

P1040588_zpsa28d385c.jpg

P1040592_zps3cdb79cd.jpg

P1040589_zps879e195d.jpg

af163f11-b2ab-489d-8d30-9453dabeb340_zps

P1040612_zps52efa743.jpg

P1040615_zps94dc421e.jpg

P1040598_zps8a1a586c.jpg

554f5910-f352-4df7-bc0a-94ac81d557c6_zps

Engine yet to be polished up

P1040622_zps6133484c.jpg

P1040613_zpsd2c3a6d4.jpg

P1040596_zps793349cf.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Last picture is my favorite too!

Mook, yes they are AR TT2. The front left wheel had about an hours worth of polishing done to it with the MP twins. Idk what was up. Pads were getting transfer as they were black but there was no improvement in shine. I was shocked! I even tried by hand with a microfiber pad and the blue side of the flip pad. Maybe the drill isn't powerful enough? Or the wheels have never been polished and are just heavily oxidized? Idk how old they are, but they don't really appear to have been maintained properly from the beginning.

I think it will take you a few more passes to get those puppies back. If they set for a while, they probably just need some more elbow grease. My old man's were pretty chalky when I started on them.

Sounds like fun. Ha.

im sure you will get the hang of it.  my dad did the old 3 step process on his 1977 camaro with the original paint, i think just with the orange pad and the white.  paint is so thin though and being he doesnt drive the car more that a couple thousand a year a white pad is as much as he needs after being sealed and americana waxed.

Geoff, I don't think I will be polishing on it anymore.  My dad said he doesn't really care if the swirls are gone or not, he just wants it to shine, which I think I accomplished that.  Haha.

Nick, unfortunately I have to work, otherwise I would probably come down to see you guys.

Everyone else, thanks for the compliments.  It has gotten quite a bit of attention since my dad has gotten it.  Now it looks even better.  I love Patriot! 

Looks great man, even without the full correction.

It always trips me out how some of the older car guys really don't care all too much how the paint looks. My Dad had some phenomenal cars, had an outstanding sense of what looked good, but really didn't get bothered about swirls in the paint.