Customer Service 866.965.0400

Buffing clear coat after new painting

65convertible

Question

Hello everyone I am new to this forum. I am in need of some advice and information. I just had my  65 convertible mustang painted base coat,then clear coat.  It has been about 70 days since it was painted. it was painted in a personal shop . So there were some mistakes  in the clear coat. So  need to buff out the clear coat. I have  borrowed Porta cable machine. And I was needing information on which products and which pad I could use to complete this process.  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in  advance

Bob

11 answers to this question

Hello everyone I am new to this forum. I am in need of some advice and information. I just had my  65 convertible mustang painted base coat,then clear coat.  It has been about 70 days since it was painted. it was painted in a personal shop . So there were some mistakes  in the clear coat. So  need to buff out the clear coat. I have  borrowed Porta cable machine. And I was needing information on which products and which pad I could use to complete this process.  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in  advance

Bob

Hi Bob

The pads, polishes, and process you'll need to use with the Porter Cable are demonstrated in the video below. If you can post some photos of the paint you are working on, we may be able to give you some additional help. Feel free to ask any other questions you have  :thumbsup:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-738-adams-basic-foam-pad-machine-polishing-kit.aspx

i would like to know which cutting compounds that  you would suggest for the orange and white pads . Also should I wet sand with 1500 and then 2000 grit . Or would you suggest that i just use the Porta cable with the pads and compoud ?? , we applied two coats of base and two heavy coats of clear  Thank you

Bob

post-10789-0-06611000-1375159101_thumb.jpg post-10789-0-93312800-1375159213_thumb.jpg post-10789-0-58449100-1375159309_thumb.jpg post-10789-0-60323200-1375159361_thumb.jpg

Hey Bob, 

The polishes are outlined in that video as well... about 30 seconds in you can see me reach for and mention the Paint Correcting Polish. The kit Gerry linked for you also has the products listed. 

As far as needing to sand... hard to say. I don't see anything in your pictures that indicates it needs sanding, but that being said its hard to know for sure just from pictures. 

Ok Great Thanks Dylan I thought that was a generic referrence to a polish correcting type of compound not the exact name .  I have the orange pad . I will get the white pad and coresponding compond .  And I will go for it Thanks again.

Bob

No the paint has not been sanded yet it is about 70 days old

New paint can be sanded a mere number of hours after being sprayed. We just want to get a feel for if it was sanded at all and buffed after, or if it was left to dry and now you are ready to polish it.

Depending on what kind of results you are aiming to achieve, you may or may not need to sand it. And like Dylan said, it's tough for us to judge just over pictures.