Customer Service 866.965.0400

PDC

Question

SO sorry if this has already been addressed, but here goes.  I have seen several products 'claim' to provide protection from oxidation caused by solar rays - almost like an SPF factor for your paint.  First of all, is there any truth to that at all?  Do some sealants provide legitimate protection from oxidation and fading?  If yes, does Machine Super Sealant provide specific protection against sun damage?  How about americana or other carnuba based waxes?

THANK YOU!

Edited by PDC

2 answers to this question

Kind of 2 different discussions to be had here... 

Oxidation actually has very little to do with sunlight or UV exposure. A single stage paint job with oxidize when stored under a cover over time... the process is more a reaction with the surface and the outside world. Rust is a byproduct of oxidation on metal surfaces. Technically when an apple or avocado turns brown after being cut and exposed to air for a little while is oxidation. 

On a modern clear coat car oxidation is almost of no concern except in VERY extreme cases of neglect. So that being said ANY coating on the surface of the paint is going to prevent or slow oxidation as it prevents the surfaces exposure to the air. 

Now... on the other topic of SPF... yes our products do offer some SPF protection value for paint, as its not significant to any real extent on any car we don't actively test to see what that value might be. On surfaces that are impacted by UV exposure - trim, plastic, vinyl, etc - it is important as those surfaces are extremely susceptible to UV damage. 

Paul, as Dylan hinted at, the vinyl, plastic and rubber are the most susceptible to sun exposure.  

Adams dressings offer an SPF

SVRT = 35 SPF

LC = 60 SPF

TID = 35 SPF (I believe)

If you're dedicated enough to be on a forum that's strictly about car care then you'll NEVER need to worry about having an SPF in your LSP.  My cars sit out all day and my G8 looks as good or better than new after over 4 and a half years of Adams love. 

Chris