Customer Service 866.965.0400

Machine pad turning black

13-Mustang-GT/CS

Question

10 answers to this question

If you hit plastic, rubber, etc while polishing, any oxidation will transfer onto the pad. It's normal, and has happened to me a few times. Just keep an eye on where the pad is on the car. Sometimes other surfaces besides the paint will do this depending on how they are finished. For example, after doing the B pillars on my G8, my 4" pads looked like yours.

The stain should clean right out with a little APC

If you hit plastic, rubber, etc while polishing, any oxidation will transfer onto the pad. It's normal, and has happened to me a few times. Just keep an eye on where the pad is on the car. Sometimes other surfaces besides the paint will do this depending on how they are finished. For example, after doing the B pillars on my G8, my 4" pads looked like yours.

I agree...

Didnt think of it but now that you mentioned it, it makes sense. I was going over the window trim on my drivers side door. I was doing it to get the swirls near the glass out as well as to see how much pretreating rubber with SVRT helps. It was intentional going over trim that much, didnt really think it would do anything go the pad. Well now I know not to worry next time it happens. I thought I was doing wrong and since my car is black it got me a little worried lol.

Yup.  The above dudes speak the truth.  Trim, or paint that was still slightly contaminated.  Nothing to worry about.  You should feel better knowing that your paint achieved a new level of shine!! :D  Now clean that pad, and get back to detailing......

I have never seen my drivers side that shinny before.. I am doing my first full correction panel by panel ( crazy work schedule, dont have time to do the whole car all at once). Now on to cleaning out the pads :)

post-9431-0-11814900-1376449288_thumb.jpg

post-9431-0-22119300-1376449295_thumb.jpg

post-9431-0-90157700-1376449388_thumb.jpg

If oxidation is transferred on the pad, will it affect the finish?

Not really, no, since the polish present on the pad will eventually kill the oxidation as it's going along.  If it's DIRT from the car not being clean enough, yes...that can get you into trouble.

I have never seen my drivers side that shinny before.. I am doing my first full correction panel by panel ( crazy work schedule, dont have time to do the whole car all at once). Now on to cleaning out the pads :)

It soooo worth it in the end. Even my girlfriend noticed the difference in mine and she foes not have an eye for that kind of stuff. I keep getting compliments and have a few peeps I work with wanting to hire me to do theirs. I need a better setup though because it was hell doing mine in the garage.