Customer Service 866.965.0400

Paint transfer on white machine pad?

Thorsager

Question

I was polishing my wife's 2012 Ford Focus today. I started with the paint correcting polish (orange). Then I used the paint finishing polish (white). After finishing the hood and drivers side of the car I noticed that my pad was turning what I thought was red. I thought that I was getting some paint transference since the car is red metallic. Then I thought maybe it was from residual of the orange correcting polish. I did a the front quarter panel on the other side. I did not see anything but after using the correcting polish followed by the finishing polish I did get a little red color. I clayed the car prior to polishing. I have a mark on each pad to judge how hard I am pressing. If anything I do not press hard enough. I have a porter cable and the speed is set at 5.

This is the second car that I have used the Adams polish combination on. The first was a yellow 2012 Challenger and I had no color on the white pad. I thought paint transference was only seen in single stage paint not clear coat? Any thought or ideas? Did I ruin the paint?

I saw a post from earlier this month with the same problem with another Ford (Black Mustang). The pad turned black. The general consensus was that it was from rubber/black plastic. Could this be something with the paint that Ford uses?

I've attached some pictures.

post-7699-0-31609900-1377815806_thumb.jpg

post-7699-0-96023800-1377816998_thumb.jpg

post-7699-0-77004400-1377817083_thumb.jpg

post-7699-0-18695900-1377817124_thumb.jpg

13 answers to this question

Last time I had paint transfer like that it was on a 1976 Ford 880 Custom Cab with no clear coat...

Do a test to figure out your problem, clay a spot that hasn't been corrected. With a clean white buffing pad use some finishing polish and buff the spot you just clayed. If its comes off white, then your clear is fine. If it comes off red then I'd be taking it to the dealer where you bought it.

It is possible that it is the Correcting Polish depending on how you are polishing. If you wipe the area clean after each pass then you shouldn't have orange on there. If you go straight over the Correcting Polish with the Finishing Polish then yes it will turn the pad colors.

If you do the test I mentioned before and it doesn't turn the pad colors, take some 50/50 Rubbing Alcohol or just use some WW and wipe down the area you previously had troubles with just to make sure you have all of the CP off of the panel before you use the FP.

My final thought... You didn't get all of the CP off before you hit it with the FP.... No way you could of went through the clear coat unless someone at the dealer was lying to you when you bought it.

Looks nice and shiny though.  :2thumbs:

Edited by Kingsford

There is no way that you went through the clear, and if it was single stage paint you would have a lot more red on your pad.....

Did you use Flex, PC, Cyclo?

I am using a PC.

Is it red, pink, or orange? What if its a combination of PCP residue and DS?

Possible overspray? I don't know. Ha.

It looks like red to me.

Are you the original owner?

Any chance Ford is using a single stage?  Until recently, wasn't Toyota still using single stage on some reds and whites?

I am the original owner. I bought it new with 30 miles on it.

I also had the issue with my pads turning black (I was using the MF pads with my Cyclo) when doing my 2012 Mustang (the other user has a 2013). I've got to take my car to the body shop (local Ford dealer) next week to have some paint work done and I'll ask those guys about it.

Tinted clears are so lightly tinted that theres virtually no visual transfer to the pad... plus the white pad is so fine it doesn't remove enough material to show any measurable amount of pigment unless you're working on single stage paint. 

What you're seeing in those pictures is almost certainly Detail Spray residue. 

Tinted clears are so lightly tinted that theres virtually no visual transfer to the pad... plus the white pad is so fine it doesn't remove enough material to show any measurable amount of pigment unless you're working on single stage paint. 

What you're seeing in those pictures is almost certainly Detail Spray residue.

Yep, Detail Spray. Most all my white pads are tinted pink/red.

The only reason I suggested tinted clear as being a possible cause (eventhough I said "most likely") was because he said on his first car he corrected, he didn't have this same problem.

...This is the second car that I have used the Adams polish combination on. The first was a yellow 2012 Challenger and I had no color on the white pad...

That's the only reason I suggested it. I knew Ford uses tinted clear coats and after looking at their color codes, it seems as their reds use tinted clear.

That's my reasoning. Not looking to start an argument, just pointing out my thoughts. Either way the OP isn't doing anything wrong or shouldn't be worried about anything.