Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cleaning door jambs

simplife

Question

Tried to do a search but was unsuccessful. What is the best way to clean dirty, greasy door jambs that have been neglected for several years. Obviously, these areas are painted, so I don't want to etch the paint. I am thinking All Purpose Cleaner would be a good start. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Edited by simplife

15 answers to this question

I just went through this on my 2000 S-10 that had never been cleaned. I had to use a combo of a dedicated degreaser, APC, and the Adam's Lug brush to get them cleaned. I rinsed with my garden hose on the shower setting and the nozzle pretty close to keep from spraying the interior.

If they are greasy I think you will have to use APC, then after you get them clean, wipe them out with WW or DS every time you wash.

Exactly how I did mine. Now i just hit it with a little detail spray with each washing and it looks like new

Personally I would just take an old rag and wipe them down.  And maybe some waterless wash on an old towel as opposed to spraying the hinge directly.  Me personally I wouldn't use APC.  I don't use that stuff anywhere I can't rinse with water to make sure I get all the product off after cleaning.  If you do spray them down I would go back and add some white lithium grease to the hinge.    Otherwise you get too busy with it you will eventually have this problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY7BT-1PG-w

Edited by LFairbanks

As suggested by the others... try waterless wash if the dirt/grime is mild enough. If its more serious then attack it with APC... a 1:1 dilution would probably suffice. You may also want to use wheel woolies and/or a lug brush to get into the nooks and crannies. Flush well with water when you're done (either carefully using a hose or a separate bottle of water with a sprayer).

Be sure that if you do de-grease the hinges you use an OEM approved lubricant afterwards as the APC and scrubbing will have removed most of it. 

As suggested by the others... try waterless wash if the dirt/grime is mild enough. If its more serious then attack it with APC... a 1:1 dilution would probably suffice. You may also want to use wheel woolies and/or a lug brush to get into the nooks and crannies. Flush well with water when you're done (either carefully using a hose or a separate bottle of water with a sprayer).

Be sure that if you do de-grease the hinges you use an OEM approved lubricant afterwards as the APC and scrubbing will have removed most of it. 

The flushing well with water part is the reason I personally wouldn't use the APC.  I used to wash these areas (not regularly) and had issues with rust.  To the point that the dealer replaced the parts under warranty.  So after that experience, I just wipe them down with waterless wash.

Anyplace that you see white (slightly yellow) goop, whether it be seat tracks, door hinges, sunroof, inside door panel for example it is going to be white lithium grease.  

http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/pyroil/white-lithium-grease/

Just a question, if you get that grease on your woolies does it come out fairly easy or is it done?  

Edited by LFairbanks

Door hinges should be lubed with graphite! 

Graphite would work, but the problem I have had with that is that it kinda goes everywhere over time.  I have tried the powder as well as the liquid.  Never have used it on the automotive doors, but have on the door hinges on the house and eventually residue would show up on the door as well as the casing around the door that was parallel to the hinge.  I don't think it would have the longevity of white lithium either.

Edited by LFairbanks

Graphite would work, but the problem I have had with that is that it kinda goes everywhere over time. I have tried the powder as well as the liquid. Never have used it on the automotive doors, but have on the door hinges on the house and eventually residue would show up on the door as well as the casing around the door that was parallel to the hinge. I don't think it would have the longevity of white lithium either.

Not to mention the convenient spray straw for precision application. I've used regular chassis grease before but it looks like booty. Worked well though.