Customer Service 866.965.0400

Scratch on plastic trim

GFD70 SS

Question

Hello-

This morning I hit a traffic cone getting off the highway that had falleen off of a truck. I couldn't swerve out of the way to avoid it in time and it hit the front bumper on my ZL1. Luckily, the paint was not damaged but there are 2-3 scuff marks on the plastic trim. I washed the car hoping they were just on the surface and would come out but no such luck. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips on how to remove them? Thanks in advance for your help.

9 answers to this question

Did you use a DA polisher prior to finishing up?  The drill will leave halograms that you'll want to remove first.  Also, VRT is best for non-painted, porous trim.  Protect that surface with a wax like Buttery or Americana... Or perhaps some AQS.  It looks WAY better!  Good job with the save!  I have an SS, I'd be crying if I hit a cone so I could imagine if I hit one with my ZL1!  :)

Did you use a DA polisher prior to finishing up?  The drill will leave halograms that you'll want to remove first.  Also, VRT is best for non-painted, porous trim.  Protect that surface with a wax like Buttery or Americana... Or perhaps some AQS.  It looks WAY better!  Good job with the save!  I have an SS, I'd be crying if I hit a cone so I could imagine if I hit one with my ZL1!  :)

No problems using the VRT since it is plastic not painted. Believe me I was pissed when I hit it!! Luckily there wasn't more damage. I should also add that I clayed it first before polishing.

I've got an '11 SS, and my bumper pieces are all sprayed save for the black insert pieces.  I know they are plastic, but they are primed and painted.  I've had my front bumper re-sprayed twice because I under calculated the length of the front end when I first got it and pulled over a curb stone.  It scraped the paint, gouged the plastic both times.  I had the plastic filled, and the paint sprayed.  Just a heads.  This may have changed for the 2013/2014 and I may be ignorant.  If thats the case, hurray for you, and those who may have done the bone-headed maneuver I did!

Edited by IrishCurse