Customer Service 866.965.0400

Paint Correction In Cold Conditions

13-Mustang-GT/CS

Question

I am planning on getting my paint swirl free before I reseal and patriot for the winter. I am planning on doing it this week. Forecast calls for mid 30's. Staying outside in the cold doesnt bother me, but will it affect the polish. Will be using 2 step with microfiber. Are their certain steps I will need to take that are different from summer polishing?

17 answers to this question

I don't think it can be done man those temps combined with panel temps may spell murder for the polish.  I tried sealing and waxing in the low 40s and it was heck on Earth.  Of course, you'll want to do those steps following the polish so you may want to wait.  I'm interested in seeing what others think though.

Originaly I did not think I would have anything to contribute to this thread, then I read the temps you will be working in.  I believe you should be ok.  The products may have a longer working time, but overall they should work the same.  Here is a link to a thread of a job we did a while back - http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/17187-3-adams-forum-members-vs-a-black-truck/.  It was the coldest day I can remember in several years, and I had to keep my hoodie on all day.  The truck was too tall to fit in the garage so not getting out of the breeze either.  Overall the products worked about the same as they do in warmer temps.  

I am sure others that work in these temps more than I do can provide more info.

We did not have any issues with the MSS (I was testing MSS using a Flex with the wavy pads).  There may have been enough 'left' over heat in the air to allow it to cure.  It never stays below 50 for more than a day or so here.

We did not have any issues with the MSS (I was testing MSS using a Flex with the wavy pads).  There may have been enough 'left' over heat in the air to allow it to cure.  It never stays below 50 for more than a day or so here.

He's discussing mid 30s...

Air temp when we were working was below 40, but since that is unusual for us, it may work differently in other areas where the temps stay below 40 for many days in a row.

I've detailed my cars a few times when the temps were in the mid 30s and had no trouble. I'm doing my sisters car in Wildwood next weekend and don't anticipate any problems. The main thing I worry about is the driveway getting icy when temps get below freezing after the sun goes down !!

keep in mind at temps down into the 40's and lower things get more difficult, just like they do in temps over 80... 

I find that things like DS and WW streak like crazy in those super cold temps, like the towel can't pick them up. 

Polishing/correction isn't as bad since the friction from the machine will warm the surface up some, removing the residues might be a bit of a fight in those super low temps. 

With wax, you'll just have to work in smaller sections. Cold application of wax is actually beneficial, helps it setup harder and faster. 

keep in mind at temps down into the 40's and lower things get more difficult, just like they do in temps over 80... 

I find that things like DS and WW streak like crazy in those super cold temps, like the towel can't pick them up. 

Polishing/correction isn't as bad since the friction from the machine will warm the surface up some, removing the residues might be a bit of a fight in those super low temps. 

With wax, you'll just have to work in smaller sections. Cold application of wax is actually beneficial, helps it setup harder and faster. 

Thanks for the info. I had an idea that it would be more difficult but possible. Just wanted to make sure from the expert. 

Maybe it was the AQS that I had to use the halogen on. Something was not right, I can definitely tell you that. That sounds like detailing suicide so it couldn't have been that. Let us know how it turns out. I won't be doing it again! Shameless Plug: That's why the rinse less will be MY FAVORITE! Closed/insulated garage is a warm garage.

Edited by IrishCurse

Maybe it was the AQS that I had to use the halogen on. Something was not right, I can definitely tell you that. That sounds like detailing suicide so it couldn't have been that. Let us know how it turns out. I won't be doing it again! Shameless Plug: That's why the rinse less will be MY FAVORITE! Closed/insulated garage is a warm garage.

haha your telling me. I don't have a garage. Last winter I would bring my two bucket wash to a coin-op and freeze my butt off. I had water freezing on panels before I even had a chance to dry it off lol. Now hot water will be be in my rinseless bucket :) already placed the order as well as patriot. I can't wait to see this fed ex delivery guy haha 

I used my flex for the first time a few days ago and it was in the 40s and I think it turned out great. I am very happy at the results. I had no issues with the detail spray, APC, the paint correcting polish, finishing polish, and new paint sealant. The picture was taken a few days after I detailed my car. I waited to my new camera to show up and I took this picture this morning. This was the results of me using Adam's products for the first time. I was very impressed and I will continue to use them.

post-10647-0-60304300-1388586502_thumb.jpg