Customer Service 866.965.0400

New C7 detail question

3or88

Question

I am detailing a new C7 this weekend coming. I am wondering if anyone has done one yet and want to share any heads-up detailing concerns / techniques. The owner wants a full clay, polish and americana applied. One question I have is the carbonfiber roof-top can I approach this just like the paint or any precautions/ Thanks for any assistance 

6 answers to this question

Yes, someone has done one.

Since then, I've been keeping it up with all the Adam's products. One thing I've noticed is that the clear coat seems to be particularly prone to hairline scratches. You can see from Mook's thread that there were a lot of scratches before he started. This was from a California Duster. But it was the same duster I used on my cyber gray C6, and it wasn't all scratched up. 

I'd also say to examine the car carefully from a lot of different angles with very good light. The distinctive lines and angles of the car make it easy to overlook missed spots.

Just remember to start with the least-aggressive method required to get the job done. I don't think you will have any issue with the CF top using Adam's and the methods taught here.  However, I would approach those areas by hand first then, if needed, paint finishing polish and white foam pad. As I understand it, CF has different properties than metal and fiberglass and retains and concentrates heat better when you polish. So work in smaller areas for less time when machine polishing these CF areas. Someone with more knowledge may speak up and clarify this.

As I understand it, CF has different properties than metal and fiberglass and retains and concentrates heat better when you polish. So work in smaller areas for less time when machine polishing these CF areas. Someone with more knowledge may speak up and clarify this.

This is true, but applies more towards forced rotation polishing - if you're only sporting a DA you'll be fine just treating it as anything else since you wouldn't be able to build up enough heat to do any damage. 

And, as David mentioned, kick things off with the finishing polish first and see how it goes - there's a pretty good chance you can take care of the CF area without any compounding...which is ideal on a brand new car.