Customer Service 866.965.0400

Protecting Clear Coat from swirls

insomniac62

Question

I recently made my first Adam's Polishes purchase.

I am 110% please with the results! I took a lot of fine scratches out of the clear coat of my black Escalade Ext.

Unfortunately, as soon as I was finished, I wiped my finger across the area and the fine scratches were left by my finger.

What is the best way to protect from this? Paint Sealant then several layers of hard wax?

Any ideas would be great!

13 answers to this question

A coating would be your best option but even then you will just be scratching the coating instead. Your best bet is never touch your paint with anything but high quality wash media and mf towels. Two layers of sealant with proper cure time and maybe a coat of wax would be the second best option. Neither will prevent some visible scratching over time. Keeping a black car scratch free is impossible, don't even pursue it...

This is correct- No touchy. Even sitting a few hours in a garage will leave enough dust on the surface, that once touched and moved, will leave light scratches, otherwise not seen on a non-black vehicle. The shinier black gets, the pickier you'll be  ;)

My wife drives a white tahoe. Sometimes I feel that thing is harder to care for than my black truck. At least on a black truck I can see what I need to correct and it is easy to polish/wax. The white hides so much, and with the lights on, it really reveals that. Take the lights off and you know there are imperfections but can't quite see them to correct them.

It shows dirt more than I thought a white vehicle does. The rail dust is insane just from driving on the road. 

I love the crispness of the bright white when its clean, but when it gets dirty, it seems worse than black IMO. 

Course that could all just be my OCD

These guys all hit it on the head... prevention is the best medicine.

Never rub or wipe your fingers across the finish, especially if its dirty or dusty. The fine particles are like sandpaper.

Follow good wash habits (2 bucket wash, quality materials, lots of rinsing) when you do wash.

If doing dust removal make sure you use something like our rinseless wash that lubricates the surface while you clean.

Don't 'dry wipe' anything on your paint like a car duster or towel.

Ok say you've corrected the paint, used a sealant, then maybe two coats of wax.  Then normal driving and good washing techniques.

after a while you will get swirls.  Now are the swirls in the wax and sealant or the paint.  If you stripped the coatings would the paint be blemish free?  Of course I understand hard rubbing would go through to the paint but just minimal day to day use?

Swirls would be on the paint.

For what its worth, if you go through a FULL CORRECTION on your car, and then after that seal it with a quality sealant lasting 6 months or more like I do, a year later, you would still want to do a light claybar session, then probably a final polishing step, and re-seal the paint again.  Even with the best wash/dry technique, etc, you will still induce minor scratches and swirls over a years time, just from touching the paint.  But at that point if you have gone through a full compounding correction, you should be able to get by with maintenance claying and polishing to get rid of the fine stuff yearly.