Customer Service 866.965.0400

Nasty interior on a Honda Element

TimH

Question

I'm looking for tips/products and ideas as I begin attempting to reclaim this vehicle.........and learn a little bit about detailing.  I thought this would be an excellent vehicle to start with because if I did mess something up it couldn't really be any worse than it is right now.  On the interior (the exterior is a another post......good lord :o ), the vinyl dash and doors has a textured light grey and black coverings.  In most spots the light grey matches the black......the seats have ground in dirt, the console between the seats is a health hazard (seriously around the emergency brake is something to behold) and the vinyl floor is a heck of a mess.  There used to be mats on the floor but they disappeared and the dirt is just ground in especially on the drivers side.

I need to get passed being pissed off because that is doing nothing..........the car has set in the garage almost undriven since August.  My wife will drive it some but not that often.  I can't because I only get mad when I open the door.   I just don't get it.......we are very neat and tidy people.    I would post pics, but I am to ashamed.

The Element is a 2007 with less than 60,000 miles on it and runs like a top.  

Any thoughts, tips etc would be appreciated.  

Edited by TimH

10 answers to this question

Welcome Tim.  I would also suggest you involve your daughter so she knows what it is to take care of an expensive item and why you do it constantly and don't let it go.  Maybe if she gets her hands dirty, she'll take better care of it.  ???   :)   

We've seen it all so it'd be no surprise here.  Post some pics! 

I would HIGHLY suggest you view some of the videos that pertain to your issues.  You can skip the paint correction and such as I'm sure you won't be doing that to her car. 

Videos

I will have to agree with Chewy.  Your daughter needs to see the value in, and also how easy it is, to maintain a clean interior.  There can be some breathing hazards by not cleaning and detailing your interior, because of all the filth and ability for bacteria and the like to grow in those conditions.  This is an excellent opportunity for you to teach her the right way!  Heck, get a little tool bag and a few interior products to be stored in the car, so she can keep things nice and tidy once a week, once the "reset" happens.

I did this for my sister about a month ago on her new Edge.  Maybe it's because she's prego who knows, but she really took well to it!

Good luck!

She doesn't live here.....hasn't for sometime.

So would you just get after it on the inside with the all purpose cleaner to do the initial cleaning?  1:1 or dilute it ?  Same with all the vinyl surfaces?

All the videos show cars that are already very clean.......I didn't think it would necessarily apply.

Having not seen the interior, it's hard to recommend anything. APC is really meant for harder areas of the car. I'd use LIC and the carpet and upholstery cleaner and see where you end up.

Carpet & Upholstery cleaner is good stuff!!

Will do.....This first order is going to be a few hundred dollars I'm afraid..........

I'm looking for tips/products and ideas as I begin attempting to reclaim this vehicle.........and learn a little bit about detailing.  I thought this would be an excellent vehicle to start with because if I did mess something up it couldn't really be any worse than it is right now.  On the interior (the exterior is a another post......good lord :o ), the vinyl dash and doors has a textured light grey and black coverings.  In most spots the light grey matches the black......the seats have ground in dirt, the console between the seats is a health hazard (seriously around the emergency brake is something to behold) and the vinyl floor is a heck of a mess.  There used to be mats on the floor but they disappeared and the dirt is just ground in especially on the drivers side.

Any thoughts, tips etc would be appreciated.  

1) Dash and doors.  Start with just a good MF and either TID or LIC (if leather).

2) On pure plastics ( like cup holders and such) use warm water, a little dish soap if greasy, steam if need be (like to soften gum and such), and a decent detailing brush to loosen the junk. 

3) On carpet that is REALLY bad, doing a good vacuum, then use some water and a brush like Adams carpet cleaning brush for first pass to loosen things up, then a wet vac, then Adams Upholstery and Carpet cleaner.  For cloth seats (esp with ground in dirt) use U&CC as well.. stuff works WONDERS!

See http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-Detailing_Video_Vol_8_Chapter_10_Cleaning_Carpets.aspx for carpet cleaning.

and http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-Detailing_Video_Vol_8_Chapter_09_Interior_Cleaning_and_Detailing.aspx for interior cleaning.

For more details for your specific problems a few pics would help.  Don't be embarrassed, we've all seen cars that were disgusting, some of which have belonged to friends or family members!

Hope this helps!

-Mike

Edited by gencoupe3dot8