Customer Service 866.965.0400

Help... Jeep with clear coat failing.

mtnbiker326

Question

Hello everyone.  I am newer to this forum and I finally have most of my products in now.  (search in the unboxing section)

I need some help trying to find the best solution to "hold the issue at bay" (for as long as possible) until I can work up enough funding to pay for a complete respray of the ENTIRE jeep (this solution needs to last 18 mon to 2 years (with additional reapplications, of course)).

Backstory...

I have an older jeep cherokee with clear coat failure on the hood, wheel well covers and roof.  

I have a picture of the hood below where the left side up to the center divide has been corrected and polished (with a cyclo) x2 (after washing it 5 times and then claying twice).  I then sealed the paint and applied BG and Americana (Full Face-melter).  

post-11488-0-76576800-1394053787_thumb.jpg

I will state that the most obvious answer to my question is to have the entire hood and roof repainted... not to mention the keyed job on the driver side from front fender to back hatch (there before I owned it).

I just purchased the 4" focus pad set and dill adapter to go over the clear coat areas again and see if I can knock the flaking down a little and then protect it again.

Any thoughts or suggestions as to what else can I do with Adam's products (and some touchup paint) that I haven't already tried?

Help please.

Thank you in advance.

7 answers to this question

A few coats of sealant and some wax will keep the rust away but not for much longer by the looks of how bad it has gotten. It's only a matter of time before the paint starts chipping in some of those areas. 

Keep it inside as much as possible I guess... 

It just really really really needs to go to the paint booth.

Remember a paint job is cheaper than a paint job AND fixing rust spots (or replacing the affected panels because of rust)

Edited by Kingsford

Actually the plasti dip is a great thought! It would totally seal in the paint and definitely buy you some time.

It would also let you experiment with some color options for when you do paint it. The new top coat they just released also looks killer too. no more ugly matte finishes.